Fan Leaves Yellowing 5 Weeks Into Flowering

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Reggae420, Mar 31, 2014.

1. #1 Reggae420, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
    Not sure what is happening but I started noticing this about a week ago.

The fan leaves are becoming yellow but the leaves that are around the buds look perfectly healthy. It seems like the fan leaves near the bottom, that are getting less light, are turning yellow at a faster rate, but the others seem to be doing it as well.

I am not sure if this is because the plant is using all its energy for the buds or what but I am starting to become concerned. I have been feeding Fox Farms Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom as per the recommended dosages.

Any tips on what I should do? Maybe salts have been building up? I have not done a flush in over a month so maybe I should try that? Any advice is appreciated.

photo 1 (34).JPG

photo 2 (33).JPG

photo 3 (32).JPG

photo 4 (29).JPG

2. Anybody?

I would really like to do something about it (if necessary) before I go to sleep tonight.

My last plant started dying on me out of nowhere during flower and I really hope it is not happening again.

Thanks

3. It seems to me that your plants are simply focusing on producing the buds, and they will just let the leaves die. Watering without nutes may not be a bad idea, depending on how much longer you plan on flowering. Have you checked your PH?

4. 5 weeks? Its the fert. Fried up my maui plant just like that. Healthy to crap quick. Be careful

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

I have been going a little hard on the ferts recently.

Watered without ferts last night so we'll see how the plant looks when the lights turn on later.

I'll repost some pictures.

Thanks

I use the 3 ferts that I mentioned in my original post. Do you think this is enough for the full cycle or should I get an additional bloom booster on top of the tiger bloom?

7. I believe that was my issue too. I was giving full doses on that gal and even with waterings inbetween i guess it was still too much. She must have been sensitive. Sucked because the flowers were smelling so nice.... My current grow i havnt fed yet but its time.. im going very minimal

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. #9 Skunky Monkey, Mar 31, 2014
    They don't look far enough into flower for those leaves to be yellowing because of N def that's something you want a little later, also sounds like your over feeding, do you feed every time you water? not a good idea, it sounds like you might actually be lacking nitrogen though, have been feeding them nutrients with nitrogen? 

Sometimes some of the fan leaves do just yellow and die during flower, or if there not getting enough light.

I like to use a combo of nutes at that stage, might want to check your pH runoff

I do feed everytime I water. I will definitely cut back on that, I am assuming that is a huge part of the problem.

I feed them fox farms grow big, big bloom, and tiger bloom. I think I have just been messing up the balances a little by adding a little extra to push it. 

Hopefully I caught this early and she will be fine. I did a small flush last night, will give her 2 or 3 days and then start watering with now nutes.

Thanks again for your help.

10. After looking at the pics better I think your rite the bud sites aren't very developed rite now and they shouldn't be N deprived at this stage !

check out my journal http://forum.grasscity.com/hydroponic-grow-journals/1287120-rapos-2400w-dwc-sealed-room.html

11. totally normal..

your plants look great.

12. Thanks alot man that definitely is making me feel better coming from you.

I'm sure the flush I did could not have hurt too bad, been a while since I did my last one anyway.

I know that this New York Diesel has a pretty long flowering time which is why the yellow leaves so early made me nervous. 

Will keep an eye on it next few days and post some more pictures.

Thanks again!!

13. #15 AugustWest, Mar 31, 2014

if you're worried about premature yellowing and Ndef (which i don't see with your plants at all) then flushing will only make that worse.

from now till harvest, you're gonna get yellow leaves.. that's what you want, lotsa yellow leaves come harvest time. 5 weeks into a 10 week flower and a few yellow leaves is 100% normal, and a good thing.
    and leaves die along the way, that's nature.. look at any tree or plant in your yard.. there will be dead leaves somewhere lol.

good luck finishing up dude.. and less is more at this point, you got plenty of green in there to finish these up without crazy amounts of nutes or flushing.

14. #16 Reggae420, Mar 31, 2014
    You're the man.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out with this problem you made me feel 100% better about it. 

Will definitely keep you posted on the plant, this will be the first time I get to harvest. 

Could not be more excited.

Thanks again.

PS: While you're here I might as well pick your brain about something else. Yesterday I took the plant out of the tent for a minute and I got a very slight smell of mold, kind of like sweaty gym socks. I inspected the nugs but do not see any signs of mold. I changed my inline fan from only being on when lights are on to being on 24 hours. 

Is there anything else you would do at this point or just lower the humidity with the fan and see what happens?

15. what's your humidity % in there on the average?

yeah definitely keep that exhaust running and some sort of oscillating fans blowing around too..

My humidity now that I have the fans running is at 28% but it will go lower, its only even that high because I watered alot last night.

I had my humidity way too low when I started the plant out so I bought a humidifier but I think having it running while the fan was off is what led to the mold.

I had a very small oscillating fan in there before but just put a 20" one in there so that should get the air flow going more.

Will check the humidity again later and let you know.

But for all that stuff about spraying milk on it or some neem oil or all that shit, you say just let it do its thing correct?

17. You could have fed more in the beginning flower stage. I don't see nutrient lock-out.

Just finish her and change your feeding schedule in the future.

18. #20 AugustWest, Mar 31, 2014

yeah man.. just let them finish up.. do some flowering nutes later of you like (maybe in 2 weeks or so), but otherwise i wouldn't mess around at all. they really look good. It's really tempting to want to feed plants.. but if they look healthy then there's no reason to do anything except water.

28% humidity shouldn't grow any mold, especially if you have other fans blowing air around too. only thing i could think of mold-wise would be some on the soil, if it's wet down there.. but i wouldn't sweat mold with 28% RH and fans circulating. Naybe that smell is from something else..

i think you're good to go dude..

ran soma's NYCD some years back, and it was killer! you'll enjoy it man..

have a good day man.. and good luck.