iso hash questions

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by moea23, Mar 30, 2014.

1. hey guys so i made qwiso for the first time the other day and i got some questions to ask you guys before i make my second run today as i ran through some troubles.
    first, "which is related to my 2nd question" how do you scrape off all the hash completely and perfectly..when i did it, there was dry hash sticking to the plate and when i scraped most of it off there was still some stuck on the plate that was impossible to scrape. it was very waxy and extremely sticky at first but then it became powder like when scraping. how do i make it easier to handle and more flexible so i can scrape it all out.

and my second question, do you guys throw away your plates after you let the oil purge on it..i mean, after i tried scraping it and a little bit got stuck, the plate became basically unusable cause there was still some sticky hash in it and i tried washing the plate with hot water and soap and scraping and it wouldnt come out so i just left the plate in my room but it would be awkward if someone found it and asked why the stickiness wont come off and what it was lol.

third question, is it ok if i purge my oil thats on a small plate, and i place it on a pyrex dish with water ontop of an OPEN FLAME oven or is that dangerous. i know if it was bho this would be very wrong as it can explode, but its iso and the iso wont touch the flame, its just on very very low power (the flame) with a big pyrex with water in it on top of it. cause when i wash my stuff, i let it sit out for about an hour then i throw it on boiling water or hot water on an oven *thats open flame, im wondering if thats a stupid idea* i also have an oven..would it be better to place the dish in the oven or not. keep in mind the oven is not very big and closed so wouldnt the iso pile up and stink up the oven

2. also here are my timings, tell me if theyre off or not:
    wash for 30 seconds in jar, dump, wash same batch again with more iso for 30 seconds, dump
    let it evaporate on its own for like 1 hour with hot water from sink under it. then let it evaporate over boiling water on an oven for another 30-1hr then scrape and dab it up.

are my timings too short or not..its usually for a quarter of buds.

3. #3 *guest, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    I just in general don't bother with iso and heat so I can't answer your third question, but when I've made qwiso before on my porcelain dinner plates, I've scraped it off with a standard razor blade (like this, and damn sometimes it makes my thumbs sore), and I get probably 99%+ of it off and the plate is completely usable afterward. 

4. Just wipe the plate down with more alcohol then wash it normally. Scraping is all you can really do, there is always a little loss you wont get up.

5. thanks for the quick answers! still need to know though:
    is it ok to purge the plate of iso ontop of a pyrex full of boiling water on an open flame oven or is that dangerous

6. bump; im still letting it evaporate outside but its 55 degrees -_- its taking forever, i still need to know before taking it inside ; is it safe to purge it on an open flame oven.
    thanks

7. I wouldnt. Alcohol fumes plus an open flame can be bad. None of us here can tell you if enough has already evaporated or not.

8. #8 IllestVillain, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014

Isnt it let bud soak in ISO for 30 seconds, then shake as hard as possible for 30 seconds, then strain? Repeat with bud until all extraction is out?

Also I believe its better to just let the alcohol evaporate over 24 hours with a fan blowing across it. Ive never made QWISO but I think this is what I read in high rated tutorial.

Its totally dangerous dude. I am sure if youre careful enough shit wont start a blaze but is the risk worth it?

I use Hashmouf's guide which is 30 seconds soaking, 30 seconds shaking. If you reuse the same iso and bud to try to extract more, you're going to end up with an inferior product. 

You could run the bud through iso again but it should be different iso and a different batch so you don't contaminate the first run of better product. 

Yeah thats what I meant. Using new ISO but same bud. I swear that was specifically in his guide tbh lol. I gotta go find it now.

12. #13 moea23, Apr 1, 2014
    well thanks, but i have to use heat to let it evaporate. if time and setting were not a problem, id use bho 100% over qwiso...but until i move out i live with my parents, and theyre ok with me smoking in my room, but they dont know what hash is and im sure they would flip endlessly if they were to find me messing with butane or rubbing alcohol (im muslim, so alcohol sounds really bad lol...even rubbing alcohol, my mom doesnt speak english and will think im getting drunk lol).
    i have to wait till they go to bed, and very quietly downstairs i make the washes in my bathroom with a huge huge window open, and the vent on, its really ventalated that way and i dont even stay in the room i leave it on hot water that i change every 15 minutes for like an hour or hour and half, then i bring the plate inside over to the kitchen, where i put up a boiling stove and drop the plate in it to heat up. once the plate gets decently hot i turn off the oven..and after like 20 minutes it gets warm so i turn oven on lowest setting again etc. until theres no more liquid and only hash on my plate, then i scrape that bitch. altho after making 2 batches (making my third wash tonight, its in freeser right now) i noticed my end product is always hard to handle when scraping. at first its a bit gooy but hardens quickly, making the lesser parts kind of pointless cause they shatter like glass and fly around and its very very powdery and glassy idk how to explain it.

also what i do is soak for 30 seconds (while gently shaking, very very gentle - or swirling is a better word) then pour, then i repeat same step with same bud with new iso.
    first time i pushed the material on coffee filter so it filters it faster, but ended up with dark greenish product (i think cause of what i did). second batch i was very careful and let it filter for a long time dripping etc. and it was yellow-caramelish when its thinned out, but ddark brown when crumpled together. it was nice...
    but heres another issue..last time i ran a quarter of an ounce, and it yielded me around 0.8gs...does that seem really low to you guys...ive only JUST started dabbing and when i made my second batch i dabbed 0.5 of the wax in one sitting..i was very faded and had a cotton mouth (which i missed, that stopped happening 2 years ago when my tolerance got higher...i miss being this high) and it was soo nice. i went on a dab coma after munching out lol and i woke up a little high it was very nice, very euphoric. but next day i only had 0.3 left of it and i just spent $90 on a quarter of buds lol...
    i bought half an ounce this time of buds, and it cost me $180 and im probably gona get 1.5-2gs max if im lucky..doesnt that seem really low to you guys and not worth it... i must say though, im completely over and done with flowers...they do not get me high anymore..they all taste like ash now after i started dabbing...and i dont really have an oil connect so im forced to make my hash ughhh D: wish i had a connect that would sell me trims..but i dont and doubt ill find one anytime soon lol...

--EDIT--
    maybe my procedure is wrong and i could be yielding more, what do you guys think!! should i try letting it sit for 30 seconds then shaking for 30 seconds then straining... (sounds better, cause i wouldnt have to wash same bud again, resulting in way more iso = way more time to purge) but also that 30 second shake will out weigh a 30 second re wash in yield, if im correct. what do you guys think!!! thanks :DDD happy smoking

13. #14 *guest, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014

There's no way you can hide a plate of ISO in your room with maybe the window open and a fan on until it evaporates?

I get it if that's not possible, just bringing it up as an option. 

It may be that your method is resulting in more iso than necessary. If I were you I'd follow Hashmouf's method. 30 seconds soaking, 30 seconds shaking. Let that iso evaporate and call that your first batch. If you want to run the bud again, then go for it, but don't combine that iso into the same batch as the first run or you're just messing up your product. 

I've never made QWISO with actual good buds, but it doesn't typically result in a huge yield. Which is probably why most people I know only make QWISO out of trim, shake, stems, or when cleaning out their grinder. I actually wouldn't bother with real, good quality buds. 

14. #15 moea23, Apr 1, 2014
    i dont have a fan, and if they walk in my room they will immediately be able to smell the alcohol haha. its way too risky, i cant do that.
    and yeah for this batch i think im gona let it sit for 30 seconds in iso then shake for another 30 seconds then pour. i really really really want to make a second run with it..(mainly because when he did the second run, he got very nice amount of hashish..and thats from trims, not buds) so i'm probably going to make a second batch...

also thinking of washing my grinder and getting some reclaim out of my rig and throwing it in with the 2nd wash...

if you got any other tips on how to increase yield and get a lighter color maybe, and mainly how to handle the hash let me know. especially for scraping (i dont like it when it shatters like glass and powder cause then i lose a good number in the plate or just flying around or in the wax container i have etc. its just always better and easier to handle when its waxy or all together!!)

15. If you have olive oil try rubbing that on the plate and let it soak in for an hour or so, if there is any hash left use rubbing alcohol to touch up clean it.

Yeah don't let it evaporate in your bedroom it's way too strong smelling,

anyone know how to press quiso hash? When people run it a second time do they let the bud dry out or right after the first wash?

16. but wouldnt the olive oil contaminate my hash, or will it evaporate off. it sounds like a good idea, making the hash easier to scrape and easier to stay together...but i dont want to degrade my product.
    and second wash is right after first, i dont see a point in letting the bud dry.

also guys with experience, does this sound right or way too short: for purging, i let the plate sit on warm water that i change every 15 minutes for about one hour or two, then i put the plate on boiling water to get the plate hot. this usually takes about 40-1hr then theres no liquid on plate only stuff to scrape, and the plate itself doesnt really smell like rubbing alcohol at all. does that sound enough or not.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, the olive oil is to clean it afterwards, so you can put the plate back in the kitchen ^ ^ Works good to clean your hands too.

Did you look at Hashmouf's guide that I linked to earlier? It's got pretty much everything you need.

If you run a second batch, don't run it through the same iso. When you're drying, use a porcelain plate or a pyrex dish that is very flat and get a razor blade to scrape with. If you can't get a razor blade, then I don't know what the hell to tell ya because I can't imagine trying to scrape my iso plates with a credit card or some shit. :p 

Getting the color lighter is really just based on the quality of your bud and how long you soak it. When you look at Hashmouf's guide, you can see the difference between first, second, and third run of the same product. If you're using weed that is lower quality, you're going to get a lower quality hash right from the start. That nice, light hash comes from high quality trimmings soaked/shaked for the absolute minimum time, any more starts to draw out more chlorophyll and makes for a worse (darker, less powdery) product. 

19. yeah i did, and of course i wouldnt use the same iso for a second wash lol thats basically mixing my precious hash with the buds i just ran lol. and i dont have a rasor actually, i use a pallet lol.