Smart pots in the ground?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by SmokeDaGanja, Mar 30, 2014.

1. #1 SmokeDaGanja, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
    Hey guys I'm trying to figure out what kind of containers to use for outdoor growing this year. I wanted to dig holes either to fill with super soil or put a smart pot inside of it, so that I can conserve vertical space. I was wondering what way would be the best. My soil around here is clay based and is really low quality, But I want to be able to plant once time and make it to chop time without any repots. Will roots pop out of the smart pot and grow into the native soil?

2. Simple answer, yes, smart pots are designed to do that. The roots may not get far, but they grow out of the pot to search for more water...

3. Thanks man, I figured they would but I've heard they pop through the bags and air prune themselves, I'm guessing they still do just they pop out into more soil

4. I sometimes just plant smaller smart pots into bigger ones to avoid transplant shock. They still grow through to the new soil. Pretty much the same thing.

5. Maybe I'm not understanding..But it seems like you are defeating the purpose of a smart pot by putting it completely in the ground. The benefit is air pruning. I kinda do what you are doing, but I make my own air pots (It's cheaper) because I use a lot of them. 

Look up Maina DYI pots. I was able to source better and cheaper materials than he lists. 

I dig a whole in the ground 3 foot across circle and dig 18-24 inches deep and amend the soil with EB Stome composting bales and rabbit poop. I make my pots about 15" tall and big enough around to fit the circle and leave them bottomless. I use clones, so my root system doesn't go too deep, by May 15th my plants are between 3-4 feet tall. Last year the root sytems penetrated all throughout the pot and into the soil below the bottomless pot. 

6. You are correct, that is the indoor purpose of a smart pot. In the outdoor world, you can start it off strong, leave a good base of soil and allow it to grow OUT of the pot into the ground for a HUGE plant. The bigger the smart pot, the bigger the food "reservoir" in good soil. By the time the roots get out far enough, they'll just grow through anything. It is a weed you know... ever have to use RoundUp?

8. That's for the OP, I grow on my patio in (drumroll) smart pots! I use a SIP system to keep them moist in their organic soil.

9. I want to say there is a brand of pots like smart pots that are actually biodegradable so the actually are for something just like this. Google it maybe the root pouches? I just cant remember right off what brand it was lol