Do you listen to songs individually or an entire album?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Deleted member 281310, Mar 29, 2014.

1. I used to listen to individual songs but as my taste in music expanded i realized the power of an album.

2. I think I'm almost at that point. I pick a song from an album and want more but never am in the right scenario to blaze through a whole release.

3. I hear a song, try the album.  I add albums to my playlist, not just songs.

4. I usually give the album a shot and pick out the ones I like.

5. Albums, definitely.

A song is a taste; an album is a meal. If I have to pick through a meal to get a few bites I enjoy, I'm not going to order that meal again. I want something that I enjoy start to finish; something that's cohesive as a whole without being repetitive, not just a collection of songs. If I like one or two tracks but dislike all the others, the whole album gets ruined for me--even the songs I did like. 

6. I think that albums are really the only way to get all of what and artists wants to say/do.  I prefer to listen to a whole album so I can get the full feel, take a journey in some cases.  Randoming my way through my music collection by song is to chaotic but going from one album to the next keeps things organized, contextualized, and themed.  I can listen to one artist's sound rise and fall over the course of an album that few to no songs can do. 

This kind of sounds like nonsense but I think that an album can tell a story that a song cannot.

Plus artists usually release their work in the form of albums, which makes me think that is the way the artists intend for me to listen to it.

7. Both. I try to listen to albums when I can although I always pick off my favorites and listen to those over and over :]

8. I listen to entire albums but sometimes there are tracks I skip depending on the album.

I never download an album and delete the songs I dont want though... I know some people who do that

9. I have a lot of music I still havent dove into

Usually listen to an album and pick out songs I kinda like and listen to them individually with other music (shuffled)

10. Albums, front to back. It's the only way to soak in every aspect of it.

Signed, John E. Smoke.

11. Both. I play individual songs from GKMC, but for DSOTM i listen to it all the way through. I think DSOTM was meant to be played as if it was one long song.

12. There is nothing like putting on a vinyl and setting the needle down on the wax to listen to an album in its entirety with that amazing vinyl clarity.
    I am an album person, I collect cassettes, cd's, and vinyl so I appreciate the full spectrum of an album from its artwork to the track arrangement lol. I love cassettes because half the time I don't even know what song I am hearing, and they also force you to hear a whole album (or at least an entire side).

13. When I'm deep in music mode, I will definitely listen to albums/mixtapes but usually skipping the tracks I don't want to listen to.

14. This, if I really like a song by somebody, I go to the album and listen to every song. And then I pick the ones I like to download.

15. Yeah, same goes for almost every floyd album. They are concept records. It's a shame when people listen to only one track by them or play something of theirs on shuffle.

Signed, John E. Smoke.

16. Depend how good the actual band/artist is.  ABRB  I'm not skipping a single track.  We are the End, I only enjoy a few of their songs and pick and choose which ones I want to hear.

17. albums cause my car sucks and cant have an after market radio without some bypass bullshit..on youtube just songs though

18. it depends on the artist. i tend to only buy albums from artists that i love, so that means if i have someone's album, im going to listen to it the whole way through. but there are other artists that i dont like enough to listen to a whole album so i just listen to random songs here and there.

19. ALBUMS!!! Nothins better than a great overall album. I love toking on my bong and listening to a great album from start to finish. Pink Floyds albums are great for toking. You think your still on track 1 but really youre on track 8.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

20. Im currently listening to a 44min Song, that is infact an entire album.

So, yea I do both simultaneously :p