Homeless, single mother jailed on felony child abuse charges for leaving kids in car during job interview

Discussion in 'General' started by Boson-H, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Not sure how I feel about this one. I do feel very, very bad for her. She didn't have anyone to watch her kids during her 45 minute job interview, so she left them in the car with the engine turned off, windows cracked. It was not insanely hot or frigid cold, it was 66 degrees outside. While I never condone leaving kids in the car (obviously) I'm not sure what else she could have done. She was just trying to better her children's lives by getting a job. It is great that she is even trying to get a job. I guess it would have been better for her to just collect government assistance and be judged by the public as a welfare whore or whatever. I do think she should be released, charges dropped, reunited with her children, and job given to her. She is trying. She is clearly torn up about it, she made an honest, desperate mistake.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/03/27/3419192/homeless-woman-job-interview/
    [​IMG]

2. Yea she should be free

3. The US is fucked

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Damn what the fuck. I'm sure that's just the hassle she needs in her life right now. Locking her up is definitely better for her kids.  :rolleyes:

5. Hate it, but would she have been arrested if she was white... Probably not.... Systems fucked..

6. #6 OscarZetaAcosta, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014

Yes, she would have...Seen it happen, and felony charges for it, minimum five year sentence.  Plenty of good people locked up in Draper out in Utah for this bullshit.

But this isn't about laws, this isn't even about race...It is a much bigger problem that stems from calculated misuse of the criminal justice system in this country for the benefit of the private prison system. 

They're trying to build a prison, for you and me. :cool:

7. I agree with you but also feel a need to say my original post was more to point out this took place in Scottsdale, AZ.

And from my experience in Scottsdale, or even Maricopa county as a whole, Cops there arent good people.

Hell look at Joe Arpaio.. His office had the common practice of stopping ANYONE tan skinned or darker, asking for ID's, then driving them in a prison van just over the U.S/Mexico border if they didnt have ID..

His version of deportation..

Its stopped, since feds got involved, but it was going on for a damn long time before anyone said shit..

Not trying to say Maricopa county Arizona is racist.. But they're definitely Arizona ignorant...

8. i feel like any competent lawyer could fight that on grounds that exposure to 45minutes of 66degree temp is not harmful?

9. #9 lFourTwenty, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
    When I was a youngin my mom left me and my brother in the car when she went in the grocery store every time..she never got arrested and she done it alot lol

But that was quite a number of years ago..we live in a much different world now

10. More then weather is a danger when children are left in cars. 6 months and 2 years old. These are babies. If she can't get 45minutes of child care how is she going to get 20-40 hrs a week of child care? It is a sad and tricky situation, however that doesn't justify child endangerment.

The people interviewed even have pretty much the same outlook. "it sucks, she's not evil just made a poor decision for the greater good of her life" are the kids better off now? We all know the foster system is crap, but children of that age being homeless isn't exactly ideal either. Tough to form a solid opinion on this other then "A shitty situation".

Also Lol @ white people don't get arrested for leaving kids in cars

11. Wouldn't there have been some place inside where the kids could have waited?

12. The folks who interviewed her should hire her...instant widespread positive PR for them.

13. Yeah okay i didnt know those were the ages. i totally agree with this then.

14. Yes they are babies but what else was she to do? She had no other options. She couldn't just turn down the interview. An interviewer would be put off and distracted by crying children during an interview, no doubt. 20-40 hrs of child care..i mean she'd get it at a daycare center man.  

Now how exactly were the children in danger? It was not hot, it was not cold. ONLY thing I can think of is some sicko kidnapping them...which is pretty significant, but also pretty unlikely. 

15. I don't like that I can't hit my kid in public.  What has the world become?

16. Going to be a lot harder to get a job if she gets a felony on her record  :unsure:

17. 6 months and 2 years old. The possibilities of horrible things that can go wrong in that time are plentiful. I'm not against her and can see the reasoning but it not acceptable to leave a 6 month old in a car for that long. Life isn't fair. She was trying to do the right thing for sure, just used poor judgement while doing so.

After she gets paid, sure she'd be able to obtain child care, what about the 2-4 weeks depending on if they hold the first check until she gets paid? I don't hate the lady, I don't think she deserves a massive sentence or anything close to. She gets very little pity though, what she did was not OK.

9 times out of 10 (pulled that figure out of my ass, just my personal experience) child care providers will work with single mothers' situations. As long as she has proof of income, I can't see ANY daycare telling her that she can't leave her kids there while she goes to work. She would have backpay probably. Either that or she could go to DSS and get vouchers before she starts the job.

So seriously, what do you think she should have done? I guess bring them inside is the only other option. But, put yourself in the interviewers shoes...if a woman came into a job interview with her 3 kids, would that not put you off at least a bit? It would surely be a distraction. 

At any rate, she doesn';t have to worry about it now because there is a donation fund for her that already has $45,000 in it.

19. What she should have done is impossible to say. Its easy to say "she must know 1 person who the children would be better with for an hour then by themselves" or any other hypothetical situation but none of us genuinely know. If it helps to know, I do believe she had the best of intentions but intention doesn't mean shit usually. Proof of income would be a pay stub which she wouldn't have, although this is only based on me finding childcare in my area. It's a vicious circle where no one wins but this obviously wasn't the best tactic.

I've been very near her general situation before, luckily enough I was able to not burn every bridge in my past and found a sitter without any real proof of income. I paid dearly for it but not as dearly as this women will. That doesn't make me better, it just means better life choices led to an easier situation.

I'm glad she has a fund going, as I said I don't dislike her based on this.

20. Some homeless families sleep in their vehicle. So basically, it would be like leaving the kids at home/.?"