My shih tzu is out of control

Discussion in 'Pets' started by kbblaze420, Mar 27, 2014.

1. #1 kbblaze420, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    I have a one yr old shih tzu that is very high energy. I have to take him out every couple hrs on 20 mins walks because if I don't be goes cray running around my apartment. Lately he's been a little extra hyper active for some reason and has gotten bad with biting. I keep reading on different forums online to never hit your dog(which I never could do) and not to put them in a crate or room to punish him. So I was just wondering how y'all discipline your pets, I really don't want to resort to bringing him to puppy school.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Get a new dog.

3. #3 AlphaOmega420, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2014
    Crate training is very effective, its a safe place for them to be alone and content. My 8month old Rough Collie goes into his crate most nights on his own, I just leave the gate open.

Canines are extremely social animals, you should take him to a dog training class to teach him tricks (dogs love learning if you make it exciting and engaging) or try going to local dog parks so he can socialize with his peers.

Walks are very helpful and if you have a yard for them to play around in that will entertain him.

Go to petsmart and get some 'smart' toys, stuff like simple puzzle (I have one where the pup needs to lift specific cube pieces out of a puzzle and then turn the puzzle to reveal more treats) or even a stuffed kong or meatbone will keep him preoccupied (if you put it in the freezer for an hour it will take him longer to get through it)

never hit your dog, it will just create more anxiety and once you lose his trust it will be hard to regain

I personally have never owned a toy breed before, I hear they are much more energetic but even my collie pup(which is a hardcore herding breed) will tire himself out if he gets to play with another dog in the backyard or I give him a toy

4. Go for an hour or 2 jog or so.... wear your dog out.... my dad have a fairly active pug, and i often go for a jog or so for a few hours (with sprinting involved), and its often tired after my jog, and doesn't screw around as much

5. stick something up it's ass and that should cure any problems that you are encountering 

yea, a pit bull.
    great dogs, the best!

7. I could never!

8. All of this was extremely helpful & I am definitely going to petsmart tomorrow to check out some of the kong toys.

9. I would take you out to a fancy dinner so i could get to know that beautiful smile better.

10. Shih Tzu's are beautiful dogs, and reading this really tells me a lot. Certainly going to try these things when I get my Shih Tzu 

11. Try to get your dog to be quiet, then reward him with a treat. I don't know what else to say beside that sounds annoying.

12. #12 lFourTwenty, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
    My uncles little dog is like that..constantly going 100mph and she gnaws on your hands and shit..very annoying to be around to say the least. Even when you hold and pet her she's just steadily going..kicking her legs, gnawing, everything.

13. Get another dog so they can play with each other and entertain themselves when you aren't home

14. Maybe it's the mating season? I have a friend who's got a male maltese and almost every night he would find arms where he would cling onto and start "you know"...