Grow started 03/15/14

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by azcactus, Mar 27, 2014.

I did't have a fan on them yesterday, have lowered the light down further today about 15" now.
    I will bring light down further tomorrow. I'm doing roughly 18/6 light cycle aswell.

I'll have to pick your brains on white widow at some stage, eg how long to bloom etc on 12/12 cycle.
    I've read a few things regarding white windows blooming longer then most plants.

Am still very much learning, still got to get my ventilation setup in my tent.
    Only have fan at the moment, still need to get extractor fan & temp meter.

Your using a grow tent right? what extractor fan are you using on it?

3. No grow tent for me. Just the area under the stairs as the pictures show…..the stairwell it would be. The longer you let the WW flower…the better. They can be a dank smelling plant too. I don't have anything other than a ventilation pipe from the basement to the roof. It basically just lets air out to keep the basement from being musty smelling.

4. I was looking at a area under my stairs but ruled it out due to electric meter and ventilation.
    I'm not that keen on the grow tent I picked up second hand and its only a small 60x60x200cm grow cube.
    But did't want to spend to much, so the grow tent will do for now.

Pulled my lights down to roughly 10" away from plants today, the smallest and weakest seedling has flopped over again.
    Should have my extractor ventilation fan setup in the next couple of days.

5. Sorry to hear about that. You aren't by chance overwatering them are you?

6. Nope I lowered the light down slight to 10" away from the plants, the plant that has flopped was the weakest/smallest of the x6 plants.
    Not watered since monday morning, others seems to doing fine.

7. This is how my plants are doing today:

View attachment 136886

They still look like they stretching for light, how often do you usually water?

8. #28 azcactus, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
    If I was you and asking for suggestions, I'd first lower the light and don't water again until late Thursday or mid-day Friday.

I can tell those plants in the pic are streeeeetching bad. Bring the light to them. I'm running a 600w MH right now and you saw how close my light is.

The tap root has to seek out water to grow deep. Watering too much causes the roots to stay shallow. When I water mine, I give them a nice drink, let it soak in and then water near the edges of the smart pots I am using. We always want the roots seeking moist soil.. The fan has to be there to build stalk strength, even it that is after the light cycle. Got to get those weeds swaying.

9. Ok cool am not watering to at least thursday or friday night, I have the lights down to 10" away from plants.
    I think the stretch is down to when i used a small LED light on them from at start of sprouting.

Will leave fan on them tonight and see how they do.
    Had strange pop after I turned lights off tonight, I thought my bulb had popped but checked and all seems to be working.

10. Should go closer then 10" do you think?
    Soil is very toasty at 10"

11. ^^^^^ What type/wattage of light or lights are you using?

13. Bulb for light is a metal halide 400 watt with a lumatek ballast and euro wing reflector.

14. I even hauled the CD player down there and got some classical music playing 24/7 thanks to the repeat button.

My first grow I did that. Don't know if it helped, but I know for a fact it didn't hurt anything.
    They are enjoying Antonio Vivaldi.[/quote][/quote]

There have actually been a couple of experiments with plants and music showing that classical music can enhance growth. I've been looking for a small iPod dock I can throw in my tent to do the same thing. What composers have you tried thus far? I'm fairly unfamiliar with many of them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. #35 azcactus, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
    ^^^ I've used Bach, Chopin, Beethoven, but chose Vivaldi because I remembered how much my first grow seemed to enjoy them. I'll post some pics later today during the light cycle. I can't believe how they are coming along.

Your lights sound great and yes the soil will get dry on the top, as it should. I did some figuring and when I water I give my 3 girls equal parts of a 1/2 gallon of water each. So around 21 oz each. Like I said earlier, first I pour around the stalk, then the outside edge of the container.

Hope your plants recover. Just remember they don't use or need as much water as we want to think they do. The only exception is later on during flowering, the plants' water demands will grow as they are going thru a growth spurt.

16. Some new pics from today 04/02/14  #1 Biggest of the 2 WW #2 the other WW and # 3 and 4 the DinaChem

Attached Files:

17. #37 gingerb, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
    Need some help, got my extractor fan going today but x3 of my plants have flopped see photo

View attachment 136921

Does it look heat related? am due to water them tomorrow.
    I've raised the light up slightly but they have been doing ok up till about 30mins ago.

18. How moist was your soil before you put the seeds/plants in it? The reason I ask is because the soil has to be a fun place for the plants to be.
    I really wish I was there to see it for myself. 
    Knowing what I do, I would open that tent and let the air (heated air) in and out freely, unless that's not possible.

19. #39 azcactus, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
    Put together a brew today of 1/2 cup dry Bat Guano, 1/2 cup dry worm castings and 5 oz of FF Big Grow liquid in a 1/2 gallon of water. Brought to a boil, stirred thoroughly and letting it sit now. Will put this mixture back in the remaining water and feed my plants soon. Going to top off the biggest of the 2 White Widows today. Post pics soon.

Soil was moist and once planted I watered slightly the day after.
    I think my lights have really dried the soil out, I watered the others last night and soil sucked the water into it.
    So I started with x6 seedlings and I now have x3 seedlings doing ok.

I've got the extractor fan working in the tent now pushing the hot air out and have other fan pushing air into the tent..
    Still waiting on my temp gauge to check temps.

Your brew sounds interesting.