Cat owners beware

Discussion in 'Pets' started by SirLockHolmes, Mar 26, 2014.

1. delightfully high, ever had the flu or diarrhea, or a cough as a kid? Did Mom give you aspirin to bring down a fever, or an antibiotic?

Well then, if our society had NOT been "playing God", you likely would be DEAD! I do a LOT of genealogy and last night as I was going through the Census death index, looking at all those babies that died of dysentery, croup, influenza, fever, measles, infantile convulsions, and even worms, I thought of you and your "naturalism"! 

The 1900 census is particularly telling! They asked how many children a woman had birthed, and how many were still living! My G-grandmother Lucy Ellen, lost 3 of her 9 children as infants- and I have seen families where one child after another died, until there were none! If you were your mother's first or last child, your odds of dying were higher. The mortality among women giving birth was also high! Modern medicine, aka "playing God" has changed all that.

And since there are 7 BILLION people on this earth, I think "be fruitful and multiply" has been more than "well covered" by now. Just like with our pets, we need to limit breeding, but since we are human, we are VERY unlikely to stop fucking! It is just too much fun- and we are biologically programed to want to do it!  The "natural" way of humans taking care of over-population is either famine, disease or war. Which do you prefer to die from?

Also, your water is run through chemical processing to remove germs. Would you want to drink "natural" water, with its risk of dysentery, giardia, polio, typhoid and cholera? 

Your milk is pasteurized. Among the diseases that you have missed out on because of this bit of "playing God" with our food are tuberculosis, listeria, staph and Brucellosis! http://infectiousdiseases.about.com/od/g/a/milkborne.htm

You likely had vaccinations- more "playing God", but as a result, no polio and an iron lung for you! No measles. (FYI - measles CAN kill- my G-G-Grandfather in the Civil War died in a measles epidemic at age 37- our modern medicine has made it far less deadly!) No mumps to possibly make you sterile. No whooping cough, no diphtheria or tetanus... all of which killed thousands of children before adulthood every year.      

Sweetie, you are dang lucky to live in an ere where we DO "Play God"! You are most likely alive because of it!  We (and our pets) miss out on a LOT of misery and suffering because of our society's "Playing God"! And I find your cavalier and insensitive attitude toward the unnecessary suffering of others, rather appalling!

Granny

2. Never thought declawing a cat was such a big deal. I know several declawed cats that do just fine, even outdoors. 

3. Agreed we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I've had many cats and know what spraying is but I still don't think neutering is right. How about instead of using birth control and the process of abortion to stop over population of the human race we neuter three fourths of the population.

I didn't mean sex wasn't for pleasure at all what I meant was that it's main purpose was for reproduction not pleasure ,and maybe pleasure is just nature's way of making sex appear more appealing so we'd want to reproduce ,and if we don't want our world to become over populated then I suggest we stop implementing sex into our everyday society and media so our children and teenagers won't think it's ok to go out and just fuck anything that walks without having to face the negative repercussions.

4. #44 lFourTwenty, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014

You will get absolutely no argument from me about the world being overpopulated. I am on board with that idea 100% - but in that same notion, the cat-world is also overpopulated. So if we have the ability to control that, why shouldn't we?

And of course the main purpose of sex is reproduction, the main purpose of all life is reproduction, to ensure the continuance of it's species. It's genetically coded in every living thing to reproduce.

Also, you are wrong about neutering..cats do not make the decision whether or not to have kittens, it is a naturally occuring thing for the cat to reproduce. Take my cats for example, if I didn't get them spayed/neutered, the cats, which are brothers and sisters would already have produced several litters of kittens. The cat doesn't get to decide whether or not it's appropriate for it to produce 5 or 6 kittens, it just naturally happens. If I have the option of getting my cats fixed by a vet, I feel it is the right thing to do as the cats continually reproducing kittens would be a significant burden on myself and the cat.

5. Touche granny touche. That was very well put and I agree with most of it but question how is modern medicine playing god? May I also say to those that think I believe abortion is wrong I don't in certain situations. The thing that bothers me is when people go out have tons of sex ,become pregnant ,and abort the child. If you really don't want the child why not just put it up for adoption where it can go to loving parents that can't have a child on their own for whatever the reason may be.

6. Exactly

7. #47 Storm Crow, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
    How is modern medicine playing god?

OK, let's go back to Queen Victoria! "Queen Victoria used chloroform during her eighth delivery in 1853. The practice of childbirth anesthesia spread quickly afterward, despite protests from the clergy, who claimed that labor pains are God's will." (click that "protests" link for more)
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/50513/historical-horror-childbirth

The Jehovah's Witnesses, and other groups, are strongly against many medical practices for religious reasons - they feel it goes against the will of God. God will save them if He has reason to spare them, and will let them die if not! And they are quite willing to accept this in the name of their faith and the will of God!

Religious, Cultural, and Philosophical Objections to Care
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/50513/historical-horror-childbirth

Granny

What if they only had sex once? 

9. And still got pregnant? Then give it up for adoption or better yet if you don't want kids but still want to have sex (for pleasure) then get a vasectomy or get your tubes tied (even though you still have a risk of becoming pregnant the risk is still very low) ,and if you still get pregnant then again put the child up for adoption and also please remember I'm in no way bashing your beliefs but merely stating mine. If you choose to be overly sexually active then who am I to judge (Actually you can call me a hypocrite considering the fact that I'm a VERY sexually active person myself though only with my wife but still it's all the same). I've been drinking BTW so if none of this makes any sense I'm very sorry ,and will get back to you in the morning :D.

10. Neutering is completely necessary I think. There are enough homeless pets as it is. Not neutering pets basically means more animals for the pound to kill.

11. Or you could simply raise your pets correctly, and the scratching of furniture will stop.

It's very troubling to see cats with severe behavioral problems, considering they're intelligent and learn fast.  

12. Those animals aren't homeless the world is their home and has been even before we humans showed up and started domesticating them ,and if the pound killing animals bothers you then someone needs to make it a point to talk to them about no longer euthanizing animals but instead start releasing them into a wildlife reserve or something and let nature take it's course (natural selection and what not).

13. Huh point taken. I guess ya learn something new everyday.

14. You think no one in the world has ever tried stopping pounds from killing animals?

A nature preserve for stray animals is tons of government money that wouldn't even need to be spent if people just neutered their animals. 

The world doesn't work that way unfortunately. It should work that way, but it doesn't.

15. Anyone who supports removing cats claws should have there dick cut off. 

16. It wouldn't need to be spent if we just let the animals be free instead of feeling the need to en-cage every animal that doesn't have an owner.

17. Then cats and dogs would have never existed lol we made them

18. If the cat is an outside cat you better not declaw it. That is a cats only defense.

Also don't be a shitty owner and the cat won't claw you.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. If we let the animals roam and reproduce freely there would be an abundance of disease ridden, and unpredictable animals roaming our streets which is unsafe.

Too big of a safety hazard for a government to let something like that slide.

20. Then learn to hunt and avoid those that are sick. It's not rocket science. If you see a sick animal don't touch it. If an animal population is becoming abundant then have a massive hunt (which will both stabilize the population and provide food for the poor).