Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

making iso hash..is it worth it

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by moea23, Mar 26, 2014.

1. hey guys, so i recently ordered a rig (comes with a bowl slide too) and let me tell you something...hash is NO WHERE to be found where i live..i mean some people do dab but its really crappy black oil from sketchy people and its hard to come by..
    soive been trying to make dabs, but handling butane and all that is just too much work especially if im trying to do it and not get caught..(wouldnt dare to do it indoors, dont worry).

now ive decided to just make iso hash since all the supplies i would need are in the kitchen and its easier, heres my question though: i buy 8ths of really good weed for 50$. and quarters for 90$. ounces go for 290$. now, from my understanding, an 8th would yield me a little less than 0.5grams of hash..

now that seems very very low...so id buy a quarter for $90, and wash it, and get under a gram of iso hash...does that seem really worth it to you guys..when we do come by hash oil in the east coast, its usually 60$ for a gram..and 80$ a gram if its really top quality or the dealer is trying to score some extra..but 60$ is standard

now i know im comparing butane hash to iso, but its basically very similar so i think im able to compare their prices since they yield about the same pretty much..and i havent heard of anyone selling iso hash only bubble and butane.

after a lot of research, i came to the conclusion that the reason butane hash goes for is because extract artists use useless trim and make free hash with it..is that true..should i never use nugs to blast iso...im very confused!!

i saved a little baggy of stems, id say about a gram of stems, should i throw that in there with my quarter when i end up doing my wash..

i wanted to actually make iso hash once and judge if its worth it by myself..like how long it would last me vs. that whole quarter of flower..but ive been very hesitant.
    the reason i think im ready to start smoking hash is because flowers dont cut it for me..for a long time theyve started to just mellow me out and make me tired rather than actually getting me high..also my vector torch and rig are coming in tomorrow so.. :yay:

thanks for reading guys~!!! sorry for all the questions, i tend to ask a lot and experiment before i actually do something and i wanted your professional opinion and tips!! good luck!

2. #2 bigcat13, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
    Well to start, I would say that I've had very well made iso hash (using ever clear) that blew bho out of the water. So I'd say give that quarter a go in some ever clear and see if you like it, hey, you've gotta learn somehow

Your hash will be higher quality (varying I guess, depending on amounts, but for your case I'd think it holds true) if you use buds

3. Yes throw those stems in there if you are gonna make ISO. I make ISO all the time.... From my understanding you can do a few quick washes... Or let it soak ( which is why some iso turns out dark because too long a soak). ISO yields more than BHO from what I've seen.. & many people do use whole buds to make BHO which usually comes out better than using trim. Using trim usually gives you a darker oil and not as great a taste... Do 3 ten second washes with the ISO... You'll have 3 grades of hash oil, or you can mix them up into 1...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Never use buds. It is simply not cost effective.
    Get trim and blast hash. Otherwise, start moderating your smoking to get those highs you want - a day or two T break actually makes a serious difference if you want to recalibrate how much you smoke and still get high.

Otherwise, what you've worked out as the cost of hash is what you'll be getting. Lowball with a 10% extraction rate when calculating yields and costs.

Sure, throw the stems in, but you won't be getting much from washing a Q.

5. hmmm...ill ask my dealer and see if he knows anyone who has extra trims lying around a lot...any ideas on how much i should pay for trims etc.

also im getting a quarter tonight and an ounce tomorrow or friday, im thinking of washing this quarter so i have something to dab on tomorrow when i get my oil rig in the mail..and if i like the results maybe ill wash the O..

6. #6 BCToker82, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2014
    First post, hello everybody. Had an account on here years ago but forgot the password and name, but its good to be back.

What I do is I make shatter/wax from my bud with butane. Iso works as well, and I can't say which will give you a larger yield that depends on too many variables. But when making oil to dab with from butane, I usually get about 20% so from a quarter ounce of weed you'd get maybe a gram and a half of shatter. So from an OZ of weed maybe 5 grams, this depends on the quality of bud. I dont like to rinse my trim with butane because it takes a lot of the chlorophyl with it, leaving a dark oil. I break my high quality buds into small .2 buds not shake, no grinder is used, I simple break the nugs into tiny pices with my fingers.. grinding the weed to a powder simply allows the butane to strip all the plant matter leaving poor quality oil, similar to my experiences rinsing poor quality trim.

I use a can of butane per Ounce of weed, so for a quarter ounce of weed you'd rinse a quarter of the can.. DONT USE Triple refined butane, shit is garbage, i personally wouldnt even use 5X refined.. A lot of people use 9x Refined which is Near zero impurities, but I've managed to find butane thats labeled zero impurities.
    Secondly, I use unbleached coffee filters and I use two of them. I use an honey bee extractor for smaller amounts or a large glass tube for bigger amounts.
    Now in order to remove the butane from the oil, heat is the trick but not too much heat. You want to use no higher then 160 degrees to purge the butane out the oil. I also use a vacum chamber, with a stage 1 pump, if ya do some research online about what a vacum chamber is incase youve never heard of it, you'll soon discover what its about.

Good luck to you! And dont smoke just any oil out there, butane is neurologically poisonous, and I cant imagine smoking alcohol weather it be Isopropyl or everclear is good for you either... thers so much bullshit product out there that is simply cancerous, and disgusting that shouldnt be smoked but a lot of people out there dont know the difference.

There are cheap ways to make bubblehash without having to purchase the expensive bubble bags which run about $40 a piece (Canadian) so when you buy a set of 8 it runs upwards of $300... But if you youtube cheap gravity hash method youll see ways where all you need are household appliances to make bubblehash. Bubblehash is much safer to consume and produce, aslong as its properly dried of course to avoid molding.. Thats my rant of the day, lol

7. Ask your dealer if He can get ahold of trim for sure, you can use that trim to make kief,and from there do an ISO soak. You get great yields and good product. I just started doing long soaks, basically just leaving the kief in for an hour to get EVERYTHING out, then winterize to get all of the chlorophyll and waxes out. It turns out absolute fire, and you can make a shit ton with just 1 bottle. I'm making 3-5 gram batches at a time with a half cup of iso

knives heated dull red
    release sweet smoky nectar
    I am lifted high

9. Hello I've been making oils and shatter for a long time, we pay 50 a quarter here in Canada. 150 too 200 for an ounce. You say that you pay $90 for a quarter and good shatter ranges from $60-80. You're better off buying a honey bee extractor, and one can of 99% or the best you can get chemical free butane. Dont believe the people that say "you're going to blow yourself up" from making your shatter with butane in your house. All you need to do is make it in your bedroom take your weed and put it in the freezer for 2 hours and when u bring it out and chop it up while it's still frozen & put it back in ur freezer for another half hour. Load up your honey bee extractor, before all this boil water on the stove and let cool off for 10 mins. Make sure when u start spraying ur butane and wear a mask have window open if can. Do not smoke anything around it. Extract the butane into the extractor and than make sure u lift the can up every 2-5 seconds so u dont make a small butane explosion. (Butane building up in the extractor and pushing out) once all the butane goes through the extrator. (I would use 7 grams for the extrator) let it drip for 1 min. Once u use all the butane put it in a dish, fill another dish up bigger than the one the butane is in. Fill with hot water, put the dish with butane in the hot water. Make sure no hot water mixes. Watch it bubble and dissolve. Once there's no butane left and u see it bubble and pop wait for big bubbles that barely pop. When this happens take it out of the water. If your water isnt hot enough and it doesnt dissolve all the butane just add some more hot water. Now u can either scrape it or smoke it or u can make a better product and make sure all chemicals are out of the oil I'd let it sit somewhere in your house to do its thing for 24hrs. Next day you can scrape it and use a light to drip it in with some e juice to fill your cartridge. Happy smoking and this should give u about 1.5gram to 2grams of half decent shatter with 1 quarter compared to paying $60-$120.