First grow, RDWC hydroponic purple erkle. LED

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by phukyoo, Mar 26, 2014.

1. They're looking great. Your going to have a nice full canopy when you put that trellis up, I would go with the 3" netting for those guys and fill the net up. What size frame are you going to construct for the scrog?

2. #62 phukyoo, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
    I'm just going to attach the scrog directly to the poles for the tent, which is 4'x2'. I have a roll of plastic scrog net, left over from when we graphed our orange trees. Its 2"x2" so I'm just gonna cut the holes to a 4"x4".

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I did the same thing lol. I just drilled a hole in each tent post and attached the trellis with some wire I had. 4"x4" would be perfect, that's originally what I was looking for but ended up finding some 3"x3". The girls getting bigger?

4. #64 phukyoo, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014
    I started doing some more LST on the plant and placing the nodes where I want them, tucking leaves under other nodes to prop them up and expose them a little more. I even did a slight bit of super cropping and bent a few of the nodes into place. I gave them a light lollipopping and cut away a bunch of the under growth. I didn't want to cut too much so I left a few branches that I'll probably cut later but just wanted to give them a chance. Pretty much anything that doesn't reach the scrog is gonna get stripped away since little light is going to penetrate below it. I also added a 50ml shot of cal mag.

PH:5.8
    PPM:1k (Yikes! I know but I'm gonna let it go till I see some signs. Growth looks fine, it's been this high for awhile)

Ok here they are. They look bad now but that's from the supercropping I'll post an update this weekend, they should need a couple days to bounce back.
    404.jpg
    Overview of both I did a little more training after.
    407.jpg
    You can see the undergrowth I cleared away here. Probably going to have to cut a few more of them bottom branches but I'll wait and see where they're at this weekend.
    408.jpg
    Here is the overview of the one on the left. It looks beat up but it'll look better in a few days. I pretty much just bent the nodes where I wanted them to go. If the stem was strong enough I forced them to bend, on smaller ones I just propped them up with other nodes/leaves.
    411.jpg
    This is of the one on the right, cleaned up pretty good but still left a few questionables for the Weed God to decide.
    408.jpg
    Top view of the right. So far I feel like this is going to be the smaller of the 2 even though it's still growing well.

It's just a waiting game now I'm hoping in another 17 days they'll be ready for scrog but only time will tell. They're at 26 days of veg since roots hit water.

Attached Files:

• 409.jpg
      409.jpg
      File size:
      457.7 KB
      Views:
  5. Oh and here's some roots for those of you who are into that sort of thing.

Attached Files:

• 414.jpg
      414.jpg
      File size:
      458.9 KB
      Views:
  6. #66 phukyoo, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
    Quick update:

I picked up some H2O2 today along with the MOAB for flower. I topped off the system with 2.5 gallons of water and added 50ml of H2O2. I stuck my hand down to the bottom of the reservoir and there was a little residue, so hopefully that H202 clears it up. My PH is at 5.7 and my PPM's are still at 1120, This weekend I'll probably have to drain the system to get my PPM's back down but this strain seems to be able to take it. Also the benefit of adding silica to your nutrient soup, makes the plant much more durable and able to handle the stress I put on them.

7. #67 phukyoo, Apr 25, 2014
    MAYDAY MAYDAY!

We have a problem and it looks really serious from how fast it started. So after I added the H202 and the water my plants straight wilted within an hr. Now I dont know if this is because I poured the unPH'd water straight over the hydroton into the system this time or the h2o2. I PH'd the water to 5.7 after I put it in but it tested at 7 when I dumped it in. I only used 50ml of h2o2 in about 35 gallons of water. They suggest 3ml/gallon so I used half strength, this isn't a ppm problem because they were fine an hr ago before I added the solution, and PPM never raised.

This is the plant yesterday nice and healthy.
    076.jpg
    And after I added the water and h2o2
    220.jpg 219.jpg
    Up close on one of them
    221.jpg

I'm hoping it is just the water in the rockwool causing this and once it dries up it'll be fine, but with such a drastic change in a short period it's got me worried.

8. #68 phukyoo, Apr 25, 2014
    Ok I think i found out the problem. This is the main reason why I didn't want a PH meter, I used the color tester on my "supposedly" 6.0 water and it came out RED. It took me about 200ml of PH up to bring it to a piss yellow around 6.0. I used the calibrating kit on the meter and had it calibrated correctly at first, then it just jumped out of calibration. I think I'm done with meters anyways, after my skepticism was proven, but I did use a cheap Etek city meter. PH is naturally gonna differ a slightly so as long as I know i'm in the ball park I don't need exact PH's because it'll hit it on its own. Plants still look bad but hopefully they recover in a few days, I'm pretty confident the below 4.0 PH was the culprit.

Hope those girls rebound thats some serious wilting in a very short period of time. If it is indeed the pH thats really good for me to know. I didn't know plants could react that fast to a pH swing.

10. #70 phukyoo, Apr 25, 2014
    The water was really acidic, took about 8 fl oz. of ph up to get it where i needed. The plants look to have recovered almost fully already, by tomorrow it'll be better than ever. The roots look healthy and white the good thing about the acid bath is that it would kill any organisms living in the water.

11. The plants are looking much better today, but I did notice some white spotting on a couple leaves. It's only a couple leaves and I've been looking for signs of spider mites but can't find anything. The spotting started a few days ago but wasn't too noticeable so I let it go. Now it looks to be getting a little bigger and I'm not too sure what it is. From what I know it seems to be spider mites, but for the life of me I can't find any webs or bugs. Anyways I have the 6" fan blowing on them 24/7 and I've been misting every 2-3 days. If I can find anything assuring me it's spider mites i'll go pick up some neem oil but I was just wondering if it could be something else?

Here's how they're looking after the mishap yesterday. Seem to have recovered nicely PH 6.0
    227.jpg
    228.jpg
    Here's one of the leaves with the most spotting
    229.jpg

And these are pretty much the only other leaves effected.
    230.jpg

Maybe I'm just being over cautious, the damage seems minimal for now.

12. #72 phukyoo, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
    Did a lot of work today, drained the entire system and trimmed up the plants a little. The res change on this system is pretty easy except for the final 5 gallons I have to get out by hand. The bad news, my water pump started making noise today so I unplugged it till next time I drain the system.

Here you can see all I have to do is attach a hose to the drain plug and switch the valve.
    114.jpg

I then just run the hose slightly downhill and to my rose bushes to feed them
    115.jpg

The main problem with this is the last 5 gallons I had to scoop out with a measuring cup, but the system is running so much smoother now, and with the h2o2 it should stay clean.
    121.jpg

Here's some of the trimming I did. Pretty much took off anything touching the reservoir and a few of the bottom branches that were getting dwarfed.
    117.jpg
    118.jpg
    119.jpg
     And here's what I took off along with all the nutrients I use (Haven't started using MOAB)
    120.jpg

So I filled the res up with about 35 gallons of tap water which runs at PPM:160 PH:7.0 and I fed as follows;
    150ml floragro
    100ml floramicro
    100ml florabloom
    100ml cal/mag (used tap water so I gave a little less, I use it foliage spray too)
    150ml Silica blast (get those stems ready for supercropping)
    75ml h2o2
    PPM: 657
    PH: about 5.8

Attached Files:

• 116.jpg
      116.jpg
      File size:
      614.5 KB
      Views:
  13. #73 phukyoo, May 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
    I was back at it today, picked up a couple new things for the grow, and did a little work on the res. Since my water pump went out and I don't have the reservoir recirculating any more, and i'm missing out on the extra oxygen from the venturi I decided to pick up a new air pump. I got a 45lpm commercial air pump and a micro pore diffuser airstone (which are amazing). I just unhooked my hydrofarm 7lpm air pump because my reservoir is roaring with the 3 airstones attached to the other air pump. Here's what I did to the reservoir today;

2.5 gallons tap water
    30ml floragro
    30ml floramicro
    30ml h2o2 ( I add 30 ml shot every 2 days)
    60ml cal/mag
    PH:6.0
    PPM:850

I ran into a problem with temperature, it's been getting into the 90s this week and I've caught my room temp at 93F. I cranked the inline fan on max and instead of sealing the tent, I opened the bottom side panel to allow fresh air to be pulled in from the bottom. I'm still having trouble keeping the temp from getting too hot and my plants are starting to show signs of being stressed. I've cut away a handfull of yellowing leaves, I'm just hoping for a way to solve this heat problem , because it's only going to be getting hotter. I started freezing gallon jugs of water and then putting the jug in the reservoir to chill it, but I need to chill the whole room.

Here's the micro pore diffuser I picked up, along with the air pump.
    280.jpg
    And here's some of the plants, you can see they look a little stressed and the leaves aren't pulling up like they used to.
    281.jpg
    282.jpg
    283.jpg

14. #74 phukyoo, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
    K guys I got the temp nice again, with the high barely getting to 82F. Been Icing the reservoir by alternating 2 Milk jugs that I filled with water and froze. One of the plants is just thriving and has lots of growth, but the other is looking small after I cleared the dead leaves. I switched the plants around, hoping that would help the other one catch up but I'm just going to let it go. My plan was to switch to flower this weekend but they grew pretty slow and looks like they might need to go till next weekend but I might not have the time to wait. Here's what I added;

40ml Cal/mag
    30ml Silica blast
    and every other day I add 30ml h2o2

PH:6.2
    PPM:847

Here's the top view, you can see how much bigger one plant is over the other
    323.jpg

Here's the dwarf, I've noticed some of the new forming leaves are browning a little bit. I want to blame the heat wave for that.
    324.jpg

Here's the big one, looks fine seems to have no problems at all, but at 5 weeks veg they look a lot smaller than they should be. I was hoping for more vertical before I supercropped and scrogged, with each plant being around 2 ft.
    325.jpg

Any suggestions on what could be wrong with the dwarf or why they are growing so slowly would be appreciated.

15. #75 phukyoo, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
    Here's a picture of the browning on the dwarf plant, it seems minimal
    328.jpg
    The only other problem I noticed was a little yellowing on some leaf tips
    329.jpg
    330.jpg

After looking at the deficiency chart it looks to be a slight nitrogen deficiency accompanied by maybe a potassium deficiency, but I can't tell for sure.

16. #76 phukyoo, May 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2014
    The grows finally coming along again, I had some root rot because of the temps but I gave the plants an extra strength h2o2 bath (10ml/gal) while I cleaned out their reservoir really good. I picked up some Orca, beneficial bacteria, to help with the root problems since my res temp hovers around 75F. As for the room I've been running my AC and trying to leave the tent open for better ventilation, It's been working well rarely gets above 80F. Also I replaced my 2 13w cfls with 2 65w cfl's 2700k. I also attached the hoods directly to my LED instead of the tent poles. Having the lights directly above the plants will cause them to stretch a little more hopefully. I started changing my nutrient regiment to transition and fed as follows;

100ml floragro
    100ml floramicro
    100ml florabloom
    100ml cal/mag
    100ml silica blast
    90ml h2o2
    60ml Orca

Ph:5.9 (I start off low and plants bring it up to where they like)
    PPM:670

Now I'm starting to see more root development from the net pot, and the nodes are taking off again.
    184.jpg
    185.jpg
    And here's the new lights, bulbs are huge.
    186.jpg

17. #77 phukyoo, May 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
    Alright I did some more work on the room today. I drained the system and gave it fresh water with 150ml of h2o2 and no nutrients yet. I switched the LED to full strength now and the plants seemed to love it, and I also put up my scrog net. I had a case of root rot and some of my old roots were looking like tangled spaghetti so I cut them off, but I had a bunch of new root development to make up for it.

Here's an updated picture on what they look like as of now. Real bushy, cutting away handfulls every week.
    442.jpg
    443.jpg

Also super special update on some purple princess oil I'm purging. Just took it out the vac chamber to give my pump a break, it was getting hot. This has been going for 10hrs so far around 95F, smells so dank and taste super sweet, but still gonna keep it going for a few more hours.
    446.jpg
    447.jpg

18. So I left the plants going with just water for a couple days and yesterday I added in the bloom nutrients. I'm still on 19/6 right now, just waiting on my plants to fill out  a bit more before I switch to 12/12, probably this weekend. I also added Floranectar and Floralicious plus to my nutrient line up as a "microbial tea", since I had a bad case of root rot and lost a week of growth. I fed as follows;
    35 gallons tap water. 160ppm
    150ml Florabloom
    100ml Floramicro
    100ml Floragro
    100ml Silica blast
    100ml Cal/mag
    100ml Floranectar
    40ml Floralicious Plus
    40ml Superthrive
    40ml Orca

850 PPM
    6.0 PH

Here's the ingredients for my microbial bath
    176.jpg
    When I switch to Flower all the undergrowth that doesn't reach the scrog is going to be removed.
    177.jpg
    178.jpg
    And here's the finished oil after a 22hr purge.
    002.jpg

19. DAY 1 OF FLOWER!

I switched to 12/12 today, plants are looking good. PPM's are staying at 850 and PH is a steady 6. I trimmed up a lot of the undergrowth that didn't make it to the scrog but it had been pretty much on autopilot. The 35 gallon reservoir allows me to leave it alone for awhile, without having to worry about the PPM's or the PH fluctuating.
    003.jpg
    004.jpg
    LED is pretty sturdy, I have 2 6" fans clipped on and 2 10"hoods
    005.jpg

20. K so we're 8 days into flower and white pistols are starting to show! I've been dealing with gnat problems, keeping it maintained with sticky traps. It seems like everyday I'm having to bend the shoots back down, I'm getting new growth like crazy. The PPM's are staying around 850 and the PH is 5.8.

167.jpg Canopy filling out nicely
    168.jpg
    169.jpg Here you can see a few pistils shooting out, all the tops are sprouting new ones everyday.