What is the best book series youve read?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by gasoline.kitty, Mar 25, 2014.

1. I've recently finished reading a lot of Hunter S. Thompson's work and some other stand alone novels that were somewhat short and almost unsatisfying. I could really use some ideas for a great book series to get into. I love getting wrapped up in an epic story that progresses over a few titles. Let me know what has captured your interest and why I should be reading it!

• Like Like x 1
  2. \tA Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin.The <b>Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson </b>
    <b>LOTR (obviously)</b>
    <b>The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe</b>
    <b>A Deepness in the Sky/A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge</b>

<b>If you haven't read any of these, check them out. Even if you aren't into sci-fi or fantasy (for Martin), check them out anyway. Awesome series. </b>

<b>Which Thompson book did you like best?</b>

• Like Like x 1
  3. Discworld's pretty good

• Like Like x 1
  4. Elemental assassin series...kickass chick...

Im super and you?

5. Arry Pottaah

Sent from that phone I sent Dwight into the fire for.

• Like Like x 7
    I've definitely read A Song of Ice and Fire and enjoyed that. My boyfriend has been trying to get me to read LOTR for a while now but whenever I start I just can't get into it properly. 

My favourite Thompson book will always be Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I really did like Fear and Loathing On The Campaign Trail '72 even though I'm not the most politically inclined person. I found that one especially brought out his gonzo style and man can that guy rant! I love it.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

7. read some hemingway, easy to read, deep in meaning.  the old man and the sea is classic

8. #8 0ri0n, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    Not really a fan of typical fantasty type fiction but The Wheel of Time was a sweeeeet series. Beats A Song of Ice and Fire by miles imo. 14 books, ~12,000 pages, all of it fantastic. "Magic" is the #1 reason I dislike fantasy but the concepts of it within are very well put together.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    I've always wanted to check out The Wheel of TIme series but the number of books is slightly intimidating. 

10. The Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher - fantasy, but not your typical pseudo medieval setting. Sort of Romanesque.
    The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - urban fantasy. Some of the wittiest stuff I have read.
    The Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong - urban fantasy .. all the books in the series follow female characters .. werewolves, vampires, witches.

Currently on the last book of the Codex Alera, a third read through.

11. I've heard real good things about the 'Abarat' series by Clive Barker

12. James Patterson has some cool series, also Steven kings mini series are sweet , nightmares and dreamscapes, hearts of Atlantis , he's got quite a few .

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. The Dark Is Rising series, by Susan Cooper.  I've read this so many times throughout my life.
    Wrinkle In Time series by Madeline L'Engle.  Her stuff is just amazing, and like Cooper's series, I've read this many times throughout my life, and I've gotten something different from it every time.  I started reading them in pre-adolescent childhood, then my teen years again, my early twenties, and in my late twenties/early 30s when one of my kids was the right age for their first read-through.  I haven't read it all the way through in about ten years, and I've been thinking it's time again.   And I'll probably read it again in a few years, when my youngest is finally ready for them.
    The Myth/M.Y.T.H. series by Robert Aspirin, if you're in the mood for silly.  Very well-written silly.

14. Twilight!

jk.... But Harry Potter was so awesome, I wish I got my letter :cry:

• Like Like x 1
  15. I was super into this series called Deltora Quest, idk if its the best but I can always go back and read the whole series, and they're not super long so rereading isn't a daunting task. Its by Emily Rodda an Ausie author. Wish they would make a decent TV series from it cuz it has so much potential. There's an anime but it sucks, and I love anime

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yes yes and yes. I like you.

I came into this thread to say A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky.

Vernor Vinge is a master of scale and wonder. I love all his books that I've read.

And I looove Pham Nwen.

17. Also the dragera series by Steven Burst.

Start with Jhereg.

18. Piers Anthony.....
    Incarnations of immortality....also the adept series...

• Like Like x 2
  19. I don't read series books now but I remember the Series of unfortunate events series being my fave as a kid.

20. A series of unfortunate events by Lemony Snicket.

• Like Like x 3