Nirvana Northern Lights and Blue Mystic feminized 600w Soil *2nd Attempt*

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by TeddyB, Mar 25, 2014.

1. nice girls there :D

2. Flowering Day 43

Plants are really looking nice now, starting to fill in a little more. The Blue Mystic is going to make a hell of a nice cola. The NL....not so much. But it has a few branches covered in nugs so that's cool.

Here they are together, NL on the left and BM on the right
    GroupShot1a.jpg

Blue Mystic
    BlueMysticCola2.jpg

BlueMysticCola1.jpg

BlueMysticCola1a.jpg

Northern Lights:
    NLPlantCloseUp1.jpg

NLbranchbuds1.jpg

NLCola1a.jpg

NLCola1.jpg

Over all, things are looking good and the plants have responded well to Epsom Salts, molasses, and everything that I have thrown at them. Both plants are pretty nice, the Blue Mystic just looks so much nicer than the NL at this point. The cola comparison is just laughable, BM blows NL out of the water here. BM is going to have a nice big fat cola on top, hope that clone does okay I'd like to keep this as a mom for now until I stumble across something nicer.

3. Shit is so chronic. I may have ran mine too long but I chopped her at 8.5 weeks and after the cure 2 hits and I was zonked

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Thanks a whole lot, they are coming along. I've had a few small issues but nothing major this grow so things are working out okay.

Yeah, that Blue Mystic smoke can getcha for sure. I think it will be done before the NL will be done. Blue Mystic is just an all around better plant than a lot of Nirvana strains I've tried. Better yield, better looking, thicker bud structure, and the bud smells amazing after curing. The NL smells real bad, this pheno isn't good for stealth at all. Smells like some really stinky Afghani, with a hint of cherry brandy and fruit.

The infirmary is down to only 3 plants: BM clone, NL clone(that I may just throw outside once I get a spot ready), and the NL seedling that got its stem broken are the only plants left in there for now. The other two (a NL and the crazy Blue Mystic mutant seedling) are outside.

My Blue Mystic baby that came back from the dead is doing really good. I just hope that she's able to grow, she turned out to be a really strange plant so far. She's only got half of one leaf sticking out and its all deformed and mauled up. Her pod buster leaves are purple on the outside and green on the inside although she hasn't been exposed to any cool temperatures, then the one little half a leaf she's got is super dark hunter green colored. I still can't believe that she might make it. This plant could be something really special, I've never seen a seedling as deformed and ugly as this one.

The NL seedling that broke off and got dipped in rooting hormone looks good too, I can't tell if she's rooting yet, but I think I'll let her stay inside for a few more days and if she is still growing then she'll go outside. Young plants are able to overcome some really tough conditions early on in their lives and heal up just fine, so I think in the long run she'll be okay. Her root structure just needs a little bit of time to get straightened out. She just keeps on growing even though she had a catastrophic accident and lost half of her height and all her roots. I never had to clone a seedling and have it pull through so this is something new.

5. Possibly the rare blue pheno BM!

6. #66 TeddyB, May 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
    A couple really bad things happened today...

1) I just went to look at the girls a little bit ago and I have to say... I am really surprised with what almost happened in my garden....a male flower on the very tip of a lower NL branch on the little cola. It was that kind of shiny light green color that doesn't match the other colors of a female plant in flower or those little sugar leaves, looked small but big enough to be able to tell what it is for sure, round like an over stuffed calyx, and had some little still green banana's inside ready to burst open in about a week.

The good camera is charging up and I'll get a better pic of this when it does, but for now I took a somewhat acceptable pic of where the nut was on this bud, the green ball was right in the middle of the light spot in the middle of the bud surrounded by six calyx's before I removed it and threw it away in a wet paper towel upstairs:

N.L.Hermington.jpg

I see two other possible nuts on other branches but I'm just going to wait and see if they are or not. I'd like to let the plant go some more, I ended up cutting the bud with the nut off but I know that if one part of a plant goes hermie then it could also make nuts anywhere.

2) Oh yeah, as I'm trying to examine this male nut a good friend called and said that there were five carloads of cops exactly three houses down the street from me parked in a church parking lot who were all getting huddled up together and getting out of their cars. So yeah, I freaked out a little bit and wanted to take evasive action while I could, so I ran outside and pulled up the mutated one leafed Blue Mystic and the NL that have been healthy out there just because I didn't want the cops to have ANY good reason to start looking around more...and where I live they'd probably crucify me over those two small seedlings! So better safe than sorry, guess the Infirmary is the new veg chamber!

I wish I lived in the kind of place where I could throw a few potted plants in the shrubs and let them do their thing, but sometimes I forget just how nosy my neighbors can be. Last Summer I came home from the store one day only to catch an older ultra-nosy fellow who lives two houses up from me was leaning over my chain link fence looking at four big momma plants that I had mixed their buckets inside a long tall grapevine. I thought from a distance it seemed like a perfect place, nobody would ever spot them because the base of the vines concealed the buckets so well, but this guy was practically in my yard scoping it out and he had to have seen them. Nothing happened that day and when it got dark out I moved them to new spots a couple miles away, scattered in the woods.

I think it may be best to stay away from outdoor growing at my place no matter how tempting taking advantage of the sun's natural light may be. Sucks I don't have a good place to grow like I used to at a family member's place in the brush pile. Nobody ever looked there, and it was even on the side of a road that has more traffic than my street. The brush pile isn't there anymore, despite my protests to keep it lol...

But yeah, stupid move putting seedlings outside and it seemed like today EVERYBODY was outside doing work around their houses too. I still haven't figured out why there were 5 carloads of cops out here though, and it bugs the shit out of me.

In the veg closet I have three things growing: BM clone, NL clone, and the NL seedling that got cloned on accident but she's actually developing TONS of roots from the hormone powder and looks great.

7. Flowering Day 50

Northern Lights had two more male flowers, its pretty normal for a plant to try to get seeded one way or another towards the end of the growth period so I'm not worried about it really. There isn't time for seeds to get developed anyway because I'm pretty much giving up on this plant and I have started the process of harvesting her and will finish her up in 10-14 days. The buds are super small, they look really tasty, and stink up my whole house but there just isn't enough to justify spending so much time on the plant when I could be flowering a bunch of these chubby Blue Mystic clones shortly.

I've watered both with their last sip of molasses a few days back and started giving just plain water today and will keep it that way until the end. Today they each got a 2 gallon drink then I let them sit for a while to dissolve any nute buildup I may have and then I gave them another gallon to wash the buildup out. Kind of like a mini flush to get the harvesting party started.

Blue Mystic is a beast, I have a clone rooted nicely and I am going to do a run of all BM clones next time with my last NL seedling to see if I can get a better plant. This NL is exactly like the one I had outside last summer: didn't make enough bud for all the height it had and how nice of a plant it was.

Blue Mystic:

May27_BM.jpg

May27_BM2.jpg

May27_BMCola2.jpg

May27_BMCola.jpg

Northern Lights:

May27_NLTop2.jpg

May27_NLTop.jpg

May27_NLCola.jpg

May27_NLbranch.jpg

8. I snipped a couple buds for my upcoming birthday, they were smaller branches towards the bottoms of the plants that didn't get much light. I figured if I thin it out a bit then what is left should fill better.

Here are both buds, Northern Lights on the left and Blue Mystic on the right:

NLleftBMright.jpg

NLleftBMright (2).jpg

Northern Lights:

NLbud1.jpg

Blue Mystic:

BMbud1.jpg

They look much nicer in person of course, but the bud looks amazing and it got really sticky. I've had steady rain for days, and that is kind of raising the humidity in the basement, the only way I found so far besides a dehumidifier running all the time is opening a back window at night to air it out a bit and get that stale wet air moving and back into circulation.

If it gets much damper down there I may have to harvest next week. I don't want them to get bud rot and get wasted, so I have to keep an eye on things real good.

But yeah, things are still growing well. I just wish NL had more of this bud on its branches, the orange hairs look very nice. The plant has some lower buds that don't get much light, some of them are losing their green color and they are turning white. Pretty freaky looking, it kind of reminds me of the first White Widow I ever smoked back in the day before it got really popular.

Blue Mystic has these cream colored hairs, they look really cool contrasted against the dark hunter green leaves and calyx's in the buds. Both plants are pretty equal when it comes to the layer of crystals frosted on top of the buds though. The buds that are still growing should get more frosty, especially after the two days of darkness right before I chop. They look fatter by the day, so I hope that the moisture problem doesn't get out of hand and force me to cut them earlier than I planned. One day the air was really damp down there and the plants didn't smell right something was off so I opened up a window that night and things were normal the next day, the odor went away. Now I can just smell dank...I hate having a window open at night though just in case a neighbor would be snooping around as they are known to do..I have an especially sneaky neighbor who always walks around in my back yard after we get a windy storm because their junk is always blowing over the fence. I don't like people creeping around in my yard when it gets dark.

9. #69 TeddyB, May 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014
    The NL has a thick sap-like coating all over the leaves and buds, it smells and kind of feels like pine tar (or sap) a little bit but it still kept that cherry and fruity undertones as well. After a nice cure that fruit flavor should be much more pronounced.

Blue Mystic is really sticky too. She is getting to the point where the stink starts finally coming out of the flowers. Most of the grow she was a very low odor plant, but right towards the end BM gets funky out of almost nowhere. She is always bursting with an amazing smell when you touch the plant, mess around with the plant, or move the plant. The smells almost seem locked inside the plant until the end when she gets ripe, then it starts coming out so slowly over the last few weeks.

I also keep forgetting to take pics of my two rooted clones and the new NL seedling...I kept the clone from this NL plant alive so far just in case if something terrible would happen like a sickness or something, then I'd always have a NL for emergency situations if something would happen to the other plants at least I wouldn't have to start completely over..

I think I'm going to order some new seeds soon for my next run that should be happening in the early fall. I've been really thinking about looking for a Bubblelicious, another Blue Mystic, and maybe a Wonder Woman mother plant to keep and clone. I am 100% super satisfied with this Blue Mystic phenotype from this grow and will try to keep her alive for as long as possible. She has all the traits I was looking for from the strain. Fat leaves, fat buds, all on a short thick stalk. Just about half of Blue Mystic's height is covered with bud. Just the very tips of the branches of the NL have bud, I removed all the popcorn buds that weren't getting any light a while back and what was left on the plant never really bulked up.

Also, I'm glad I waited until now to really take any samples because the weight has really increased the past two weeks or so. Even the buds that didn't get a lot of light got a little thicker. Maybe I will get lucky and the moisture won't be an issue any more (supposed to dry out starting tomorrow and the whole weekend should be nice). I'd like to let them both grow about 2 more weeks to get the maximum yield out of these girls.

I haven't really been using any harsh ferts or anything, so the taste shouldn't be too hard to get right. That is the number one reason I like to stick with organic growing...a smaller amount of organically grown super tasty natural-ish bud is worth more to me than a bunch of beaster buds that were pumped with chemicals their whole lives and give off God Knows What kind of toxins when you burn the leaves, buds, and inhale it into your body. I've ran across a lot of bud like that during my many years of toking, bud that if the grower would have taken the time and did things right would have been 100x more potent than it actually was because they were obviously trying to pump the buds out and make some quick money or whatever. I'm sure we've all come across this kind of bud, it looks amazing and you spaz out when you come across it, because it looks and smells top shelf- only to be let down when you actually smoke it and the harsh chemicals burn your throat- immediately making you wish that you hadn't went overboard and bought a quarter lb. just because it was around lol. Almost like instant "Buyer's Remorse" as soon as you take that first hit. I especially ran into these kinds of beaster buds back in high school and about 15 years ago there was more beaster bud available around here than actual nuggets and everyone was marketing them as the real deal kind bud when in reality it was just overpriced mass produced garbage. 

I grow my bud to be the exact opposite of beasters. Quantity is nice when you find a healthy chunky plant, but only as an added bonus for doing things naturally and right.  I feel both of these plants qualify for that, the Blue Mystic is just a much better producer between the main two plants flowering now and I couldn't be happier to find a great mom to carry the strain into the future for me and my garden. I also like how this Mystic plant likes to eat, the ones I grew before didn't look very well after a heavy-ish feeding and took a few days to get back to normal. This Mystic loves to eat, and I am going to play around with my feeding strengths and compare the final product taste to eventually find a happy medium where the plants can eat more but the taste isn't impacted negatively. I also plan on mixing in a bit more blood meal and bone meal into the soil of these next Blue Mystics due to how much they enjoy eating. I just took it easy this grow because usually BM is nute sensitive and I didn't want to burn her but it was the NL that didn't like too much food this run which is also odd because NL usually eats whatever you throw at it.

Now if only I can find a matching Northern Lights out of this last seedling I got growing.. She looks good so far on her 3rd node tall. Both clones are about the same height as the sprout so everything has a nice even canopy in the veg area.

10. #70 TeddyB, May 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014
    Here is the High Tower, the Blue Mystic beast in her full glory:

BMFlowers.jpg

This is how I will most likely remember her...tall, stanky, and dank. It seems like there are less leaves in the BM buds as well, the NL seems to have many more green leaves in the buds than the Blue Mystic does. Trimming the BM is a breeze, just snip snip snip snip done. NL has a bunch of longer leaves that need snipped between the actual buds themselves. I think this BM mom's future clone babies would do excellent in a scrog type of setup, the plant makes nice plump buds from about the middle up into a nice fat bud spike cola. She looks amazing. This is the kind of plant I've been looking for all along, a larger indica plant that grew a good many large frosty buds.

The white buds at the very bottom of the NL plant that don't ever get any light look crazy though..in most other plants I grew they would be pale greenish yellow, but not on this girl...they are just light greenish-white. Crazy lookin;.

11. The Blue mystic will Frost up u wont even see the green sugar leaves

12. #72 TeddyB, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
    Flowering Day 54

Blue Mystic is still going, I've leaned the plant back so that all the lower buds get great light all day and they sure are getting FAT! I LOVE THIS PLANT!! She is a big thick rock solid BEAST! She has just as many crystals as NL does, but about five times as much bud. Damn, I do love me some Blue Mystic and I can't wait to see how big she gets before I chop. She isn't getting any more food I want her to burn up what she's got stored so that there is no harsh taste when smoking.

Here is BM!

BMLean.jpg

BMLean2.jpg

And the MASSIVE cola on top:

BMLean3.jpg

Northern Lights on the other hand, didn't fare as well...I had been flushing her for a while and before the lights came a few days ago she got the axe. The bud looks great, almost as pretty as the BM bud, and the crystal coverage is more than adequate.

Here is a pic from NL's last day, after she got hacked and trimmed up:

NLharv1.jpg

In the jar where she sits now curing, doing her thing for a few weeks at least:

NLharv2.jpg

The NL bud looks great, again there just isn't enough to justify keeping her a spot in the flowering chamber next run... I am keeping her clone alive just in case it turns out to be the strongest bud I've ever smoked then I may reconsider my options if she would turn out to be amazing or something.

It sure looks that way! This is the longest I've let a Blue Mystic grow and wow, she surprises me every day with her dankness. This Blue Mystic plant is capable of producing LOTS of bud, I flowered her when she was just over 1 ft tall. I couldn't imagine how much bud she'd be making if I let her get to 2 ft or so before switching the lights.

I think with the Mystic, I'm just going to keep checking her trichs every few days and snip her when the time is right. Blue Mystic can flower longer than Northern Lights sometimes, which is about the only thing that my NL did better than this BM plant.

Here is my veg area, with the BM clone on the left, the NL clone on the right, and the new NL sprout in the middle:

Veggies.jpg

The sprout looks exactly the same as this last NL and the NL I grew outside last summer, unfortunately. I'll grow her out and see what happens though. I'd like to find a mass producing NL mom with this last chance I have.

14. And I got some VERY GOOD NEWS earlier today....my perfect outdoors spot didn't get ruined like I thought, and I have made arrangements to put one girl out there again! I am really happy about that, this spot is the best spot I've ever found for a plant in all my years of guerrilla growing. Now I need to figure out exactly what I am going to put out there, and I need to make up my mind quick because time is ticking away. I might throw the new NL sprout out there, that is kind of what I am leaning on right now. I can always snip a few branches off her if it turns out to be something special, and flower them inside later on this summer, fall, or winter.

Damn, am I happy to be growing again. Its been a long time in the making and I've pretty much done it all myself through trial and error, but right now I have things working pretty smoothly and I couldn't be happier.

15. Flowering Day 56

Blue Mystic had a good bit of amber trich's, and the size hasn't been increasing much lately I think she was getting towards the end so I hacked her last night in her sleep.

She smells like a 10/10.

Here is the cola:

June5_BMCola.jpg

I went ahead and put the metal halide bulb back in the fixture and put the vegging plants down stairs:

June5_groupVegetate.jpg

I'm more than likely going to remove the BM that just got harvested's pot out of there, I haven't got around to it yet...anyway the cluster of three plants in the middle are: BM clone at the top, New NL Sprout in the middle (the biggest of the 3 plants), then the NL clone at the bottom. The BM and NL clones are small, but they are reverting back to veg just fine and I am going to top them after I transplant them and they get a few inches taller.

16. I just smoked a small piece of the Blue Mystic, a three hit or so popcorn bud that has been dried and is still curing (can't help myself in these desperate times lol). I've just had a couple things going on here with the bud which has really hurt my overall harvest.

First mistake I made was thinking that the Blue Mystic would dry in the same amount of time it took for the Northern Lights to dry. Stupid, stupid mistake, but around this time of year when it finally gets nice outside I have a whole lot of work to do around my home. I'm not always around as much as I would like to be and I let it dry for however many days the NL took to dry and when it seemed dry enough with a quick squeeze test I put it in a jar.

Second mistake I made was following the curing schedule that I used for the NL, burping the jars over the same amount of time. The NL didn't get super moist in the jars, but damn if the Blue Mystic didn't get way more moist than what I saw at quick glance throughout the first couple days. This goes back to my first mistake if it was too wet for jars it should have dried out a bit more. Me, being busy and all, only caught it right after this, and by the time I noticed something was going on I lost a fat quarter at least, which was at the very bottom of the jar soaking up condensation and after a few days it developed into the beginning of mold. I took the bud out of the jar, put the bad bud in a pile, disposed of the bad bud, let the good bud dry out better then a couple days later I put the other buds in a better jar. I was tossing out the buds based on appearance and smell. The couple visible infected buds had discoloration spots and smelled a bit musty. The buds that were right around them in the jars didn't have spots but they had a faint musty smell and oddly the sweet incense smell wasn't there either. It didn't smell like bud it smelled like a little tiny musty and that is it. The really pleasant bud smell was leached out or something, but I kept the good bud and it is nice. Really glad it wasn't a total loss.

Clones are still alive, and my NL sprout is on node 7 or so she looks more Indica than this last one so all is going good there.

Luckily I saw what was going on and stopped it because I would have lost a lot more if not all of it. I just tried my first smoke from it, and it smells wonderful, it has this fruity smell and taste that I've smelled from great bud just a few times before...almost like some kind of opium incense. The smell is something else. The bud is way better than the NL at this point. The bud is crazy looking, cream color hairs. BM buds are a lot thicker than the NL buds.

17. Smoking this bud takes me back to when I first tried Blue Mystic, how it got me super stoned almost instantly...this bud doesn't hit me as fast but its surely felt before you put that pipe down. Magical stuff. Three hits and I'm lit. Now its time to melt into my couch while I play xbox as I try to sober up so I can meet my old man for Father's Day later on tonight.

18. The bud that I ended up with was pretty top shelf, some nice stuff for sure. I still have it in jars, and every few days I'll take a little pinch and enjoy. The NL is a tiny bit better than the Blue Mystic it just didn't make as much.

Here is what is going on now...

Blue Mystic clone-
    aBMclone.jpg

NL Clone-
    aNLclone1.jpg

Group- with new NL seedling on the right-
    aGroup.jpg

The new NL plant looks better than the past few I've had. Here is hoping that she can kick out some fat buds and make up for the two that didn't make much. She has some Indica looking leaves, already showing preflowers, and she's got alternating nodes on the branches and starting on the top too so she could be flowered before long, the two clones aren't ready for flowering though.

I took the clones after the switch to 12/12 to flower the last plants and they are having trouble reverting back to veg...its taking a really long time. Now they are making 1 leaf at the top of the plant and some strange twisted around growths that I hope are going to be branches, but I don't know. They may have been taken too late, I hope not though. I'll keep at it for another week or so and see how they look.

19. Things are finally coming along with the clones, Blue Mystic shot up a few inches one day and has just took off I am LSTing her to get as many clones as possible off of her. The NL clone is finally starting to grow, she's been stunted pretty bad from a few things but I see branches forming now. I'm not going to clone her just grow her out with the next ones I flower and see what she does, I'm not really expecting much off her because switching from flower back to veg has just kind of paused her growth.

The new NL plant is a beast though, she's getting cloned soon down at the bottom of her main branch there are a few nice and ripe shoots growing that need to get snipped. She looks really Indica, much nicer than the past few I've grown from this same 5-pack.

I'm going to get some clones here within the next week and then once those clones root nicely I'm going to flower again.

Heres the Blue Mystic Clone being LST'd:
    BMAttackOfTheClones.jpg

And a few lower branches off her that are going to be cloned soon:
    BMAttackOfTheClonesBranches.jpg

Here is the Northern Lights clone:
    NLAttackOfTheClones.jpg

Here is the NEW and IMPROVED Northern Lights:
    NewNLSexiiGrl.jpg

And this is her top where she is growing lots of branches that will be LST'd soon::
    NewNLTop.jpg

And this is the New Northern Light's lower branches that are getting cut off soon to be cloned!:
    NewNLClns.jpg

And here is a Group shot of the three ladies:
    GroupShot.jpg

So tonight I am filling up small pots with soil to put the clones in that I will be snipping very very soon. I'll check back in when they're growing.

20. So, the two clones are both starting to make regular looking fan leaves and branches. It looks like they are snapping back into veg just fine.

I am a bit more concerned about the new NL plant though. The upper most leaves got a little burnt when they grew up too close to the light over the course of a few days when I wasn't really around to watch it. Now at the very top it looks almost as if it was trying to flower when the light is still on veg schedule. There are just clumps of leaves growing at the top of the plant. I don't know, it just looks off to me.

I hope she'll be ok, I cloned her eight times the other day and as soon as they're rooted and doing well I am going to flower.

I am also going to clone the Blue Mystic so that I can use it as a mom for the next run.

Funny how I made this thread for one grow and it is now going 2-3 grows in the future from here heh. I also have two or three Mystic seeds for whenever I need them, hopefully not soon.