1st time gRoW

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by jackofall, Mar 24, 2014.

1. As the days go by....the ladies are "drinking" more and more....Im now considering going from a 5 gal rez to maybe a 10 gal rez....and im still researching a DIY Water Cooler...

today my PPMs went up just a little bit....and my rez level went down about a gallon...
    my new PPM total is 287...
    Ive read somewhere to NOT add nutrients when you top off your rez!  I need to know WHY!  why cant I boost my 287 up to say....500ppms...?

2. Sounds good any pics. Would love to see the girls. Now I haven't heard you can't put more nutrients in. I was told if you wanna do that mix up some nutes I water first. PH it then add to redone ifyoucsn do that you should be able to add nutes to res. especially is your res is separate from the plant. Also what was your PPM's at?

3. i cant for the life of me figure out how i posted that other pic....smh....

right now my PPMs are at 287....but thats after already adding 2 gallons to top off....

4. What were they at? What kind of computer are you using? I just have a tablet and there's an app. Also on my internet view I can. Does your reply box have a More Reply box?

I have my 3 week old clones in 400-450 PPM's. They are showing no sign of nute burn and the PPM's aren't rising or falling. You can slowly raise them to see where they're sweet spot is

5. YEP! The "More Reply" box did it....cool!

well...here it is...and this whole reservoir chiller does not exist...sure there are aquarium chillers...but im thinking along the lines as something a tad bit simpler....like drop it in your reservoir, plug it in, set it....and forget it! lol....I really cant believe noone makes these things yet! smh....

my water is a steady 77 without any ice bottles....
    moving the rez outside of the tent had no effect on temp...
    I need to come up with a solution....and QUICK!  Im thinking about a mini fridge thats big enough to fit a 5gallon bucket inside of it!  and just drill my water line holes thru it....and BAM.....problem solved!.....right!?!?

or...im thinking an electric water cooler...ya know...the ones that dispense freezing cold water at the flip of the nozzle...somehow...im thinking i can utilize one of those....well...whatever i come up with....i should has produce and market the shit outta them....

Attached Files:

6. Dunno if u seen this or not. http://growershouse.com/elemental-h2o-chiller-1-10-hp

I shop there a lot and love em. Their prices are amazing. Other than that I would look at aqurium chillers u can plug in and forget. But the girls look amazing. I mean really are they still in veg.... Or flowering? Looks like your going to have some great smke

7. [quote name="jackofall" post="19739313" timestamp="1395700148"]its my 1st time growing anything....lol...so...im searching for a MENTOR that can put me under their wing of knowledge throughout this growing process.....anyone care to follow me/help me along this amazing journey...anywho...

My Setup:

4x4x7tall tent

600w Bulbs

8" Ex Fan

2 Circulating Fans (one up high & one low)

UltraSonic Humidifier-  RH stays between 40-50%

Temperature between 75-82 degrees during the day....and in low 70s at night....

I am using a CAP-Co2-2e and a CAP HUM-1 Humidity Controller

3 plant recirculating drip system with 4 gallon Nutrient Solution reservoir

I am using RO water w/ a PPM of between 0-10 and i always aim for PH of 5.8 ( i check and adjust if necessary at least once a day)-(I am not using my tap water because its from a well and its PPMs are over 600+....not sure if its a good thing or not)...

I am using the 3 part Gen Hydro Flora Series nutes...
    and just recently added CalMag to myline-up...

I started out with 3 clones (2 were fresh clippings...and 1 was about 2 or 3 weeks rooted)

As of right now, today, my biggest lady is 19" and my other 2 shorties are only 9 1/2"...

I have been keeping my PPMs (with the CalMag) between 200 and 400ppms...

My biggest QUESTION for today is how does one RAISE ppms ? simply add more nutrients (make it stronger)?  How does one LOWER ppms if they have too many?

ps...all 3 ladies look beautiful....so far....[/

How do you PH you system. Do you add PH just to the main res. or all three buckets? I thinking if I put my main Rez a little lower it will bring my PH in the other buckets down. So say I have a few buckets at 6.0... I would PH my main res to like 4.4 and let it circulate.

8. #49 jackofall, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014
    do you have a Drip-System or are you doing that DWC (where the buckets are damn near full)....?

I changed out my rez on Friday and PHed it then....my PH has been spot on till this morning....it was 6.2 for some reason....Im thinking it has something to do with my watered-down rez....i have already stuck 2 gallons in to top her off....I may just change-out the rez again this morning....and start with fresh nutes.....

and if it werent for my Giant Lady....Id be in Week 4....but with their ages all outta wack....i gotta feed em to a Week2 schedule as to not kill the little ones....

yep...still in veg....

9. Look into a water chiller. Basically it runs the plant water through a chiller making it cooker and keeping it at the optimum temp that you set. The bonus to this is that you can have a warmer temp in your tent (so it's great for summer) and still have your plants be fine because their roots are nice and cool. 

Skunk, I'd say that PH adjuster is a waste of money. I adjust my PH when I add more water and my PH doesn't fluctuate much at all. I do it a little different though. I don't usually "top off" like most of the others do. I usually wait until they drink 2/3 or so of their water, then add just water. to the top. Adjust PH then, then measure PPM's. Whatever the PPM's are, I add nutrients accordingly to where I want them. Right now, 4 weeks into flower they are around 900-1000. That depends on the plants though. Some like more of certain things. For instance I'm growing Pineapple Express right now and they LOVE CalMag and can't get enough of it. Other plants I use only a little. It's all about what that plant and that strain like though. That's why I like using DWC in separate buckets. Then if there's any issues it's all independent and I can keep PPM levels different for each plant. 

10. I'm using rdwc. I keep the N/S right below the net pots.( to make the roots grow down). I was thinking of the PHcontroller only because I've never had my PH stay put for that long. What kind of water are you using? My nute company House & Garden says don't use it.. They are also made for DWC/RDWC. Sounds like your method may burn the plants when adding but if it works do it.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

11. well...after lots of research...ive come up with.....(drum roll please...............) a KEG REFRIGERATOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use a 5 gallon bucket....bucket fits inside....drill 2 holes and seal....and bam....DONE!  SET IT AND FORGET IT!  Im going to pick one up this week when i head into town!

I just filled a gallon size ziplock bag up with ice....stuck er in the rez...bam....this is better than those frozen soda bottles for sure....

And i discovered that my tent runs exactly 10degrees HOTTER than my house....if its 65 in the house....the tent is 75...i think this will work good for in the summer when i gotta kick that darn A/C on....

i changed out my rez again today....5 fresh gallons of nutes....i didnt want to chance anything with my girls...so....fresh nutes it was....

Had to move my CAP controllers as they were interfering with the girls....they are all growing like monsters!  hahahaha...

12. Dude, my plants don't burn. Lol.

Attached Files:

• 4-1.jpg
      4-1.jpg
      File size:
      98.3 KB
      Views:
  13. That's what's up man. Room looks great. Are you using rdwc or dwc?

14. Sounds good. That even sounds better than the little fridge. Why did you change out your res. especially if you said you just changed your res on Friday. Could be a waste of good nutes. But again if it works for you. Do it. Lol. Especially if your girls are growing like monsters.

Now mines have just caught their stride. Have them in 400-450 PPM's and it stays pretty steady there. Also my PH problem seems to be no more. After a few days it leveled off here a pic of one. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1396404588.275060.jpg

I think they are about to really take off in a few days or maybe a week. Post some pics in a few days. Great job though.

15. How many plants is that anyway and what strains?

16. DWC. Started in soil when I began growing, but Hydro is so much faster/bigger. Plus I took to it really well. I can't grow shit, and can't keep most plants alive, mainly because they're in soil and I forget. lol. It's funny, my last grow I had 13 plants, this grow there's 5 in there and this grow I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with more bud. The 2 Pineapple express plants are huge. One wouldn't surprise me if I get a half pound off it. That's one is in it's own 18 gallon tote. I may use 18 gallon totes from now on. The growth is really crazy. As for my water, just regular tap water. Measure's about 160PPM from the tap. Not great, but definitely workable. Better than many places.

That's the other thing. I don't ever bother flushing during the grow. I keep them. When I'm ready to go to flower I will let the res get low. The plants still need some of the vegging nutrients during flower, so it doesn't bother many plants. Nitrogen in particular. Many people think that their plants die off towards the end of flower. Which they do, however if leaves are starting to yellow and die at 5 or 6 weeks you likely starved them of nitrogen. They don't need that much, but keeping a bit of Nitrogen handy for them helps them stay healthy for the final push.

Most of the weight comes in the last 2 weeks or so, so you want to make it count, and definitely don't harvest early. You'd be amazed how much weight harvesting a week early will lose you. I like to wait until they're almost over-done so I get every gram from them. :)

17. 5 Plants, 2 huge Pineapple Express clones. The Pineapple Express plant was just too beautiful to not keep around. I'm planning on running that a lot. Smells amazing, but isn't too overpowering of a high. The other 3 smaller plants are bud we're calling "Calibud" because I got it from a dispensary out in Cali. We went in hoping to buy some Girl Scout Cookie seeds but they didn't sell seeds, so instead they sold us top shelf bud that had some seeds in it. lol. My guess is the batch accidentally got pollenated and the grower wasn't sure of the bud. It was fantastic bud though, so we're looking forward to that one as well. 

Pineapple Express is 4 weeks from switch to 12/12 and the Calibud is 2 weeks. I have 3 or 4 more P.E. plants that will be ready to flower when the 2 Pineapple are finished as well. Pineapple Express is a really nice bud though. Really nice bud, and a nice plant that grows really well. The Calibud I'm worried will take quite awhile to flower. For some reason I have a feeling it's going to be a 10 or 11 week flower. The P.E. is a 57-63 day flower time, but I like to let it go closer to 67-70 depending on the look of it. Really crystally though. Plus you tell people Pineapple Express and that's a name most people have heard of. lol. It doesn't disappoint either. Not my all time favorite, but very good nonetheless. 

18. Sounds good. Yea I've smoked P.E. Before and really wasn't impressed with it. Especially with all the hype, movie, etc. lmao. But I do still wanna grow it. Especially if it is an easy grow. Plus the high just wasn't killer like expected. But like you said GOOD. I've really thought about my next few grows. And I'm going to research a little more. Also Girl Scott Cookies in my opinion is kinda a bummer too. But again that's my opinion. I love sour diesel and white widows. Def. on my list but they have some good and bad review for grow strengths and complications.

19. Yeah, I love me some Diesel. I'm still trying to pick up some Lemon Skunk seeds again, but they're been sold out for about a year now and it's not looking like they will be something I can get. That was a really nice plant too. That's probably my favorite bud I've had. It was really nice. I'm partial to skunk though. One thing with the PE is it seems to be less potent if you skimp on the time it flowers. I had 1 PE that I harvested a little early, and one I harvested a bit later, and you could tell they were from different batches. Everything from the smell to taste, to potency was better with the bud that went longer. That's why I don't cut early anymore. It's not worth it to me. What's an extra week anyways when it takes a few months to grow? I'll wait the little extra time to get more bud that's better than if I cut early. I plan on doing some Diesel soon though. I may try to pick up some clones from my dispensary for the grow after these are finished.