1st time gRoW

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by jackofall, Mar 24, 2014.

1. #1 jackofall, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
    its my 1st time growing anything....lol...so...im searching for a MENTOR that can put me under their wing of knowledge throughout this growing process.....anyone care to follow me/help me along this amazing journey...anywho...

My Setup:

4x4x7tall tent

600w Bulbs

8" Ex Fan

2 Circulating Fans (one up high & one low)

UltraSonic Humidifier-  RH stays between 40-50%

Temperature between 75-82 degrees during the day....and in low 70s at night....

I am using a CAP-Co2-2e and a CAP HUM-1 Humidity Controller
    \t3 plant recirculating drip system with 4 gallon Nutrient Solution reservoir 
    I am using RO water w/ a PPM of between 0-10 and i always aim for PH of 5.8 ( i check and adjust if necessary at least once a day)-(I am not using my tap water because its from a well and its PPMs are over 600+....not sure if its a good thing or not)...

I am using the 3 part Gen Hydro Flora Series nutes...
    and just recently added CalMag to myline-up...

I started out with 3 clones (2 were fresh clippings...and 1 was about 2 or 3 weeks rooted)

As of right now, today, my biggest lady is 19" and my other 2 shorties are only 9 1/2"...

I have been keeping my PPMs (with the CalMag) between 200 and 400ppms...

My biggest QUESTION for today is how does one RAISE ppms ? simply add more nutrients (make it stronger)?  How does one LOWER ppms if they have too many?

ps...all 3 ladies look beautiful....so far....

• Like Like x 2
  2. Welcome to gc :). Im almost done with my first dwc grow. Ive subbed to your thread and can offer some advice. I also have a few pals here that will be willing to help as well:)

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #3 lFourTwenty, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014

PPM - Parts per million - Measures the amount of non-water elements in the water, so

Adding nutrients - Raises ppm
    Adding more water (Diluting) - Lowers ppm

• Like Like x 1
  4. hey thanks guys...

so...if my target is say 400ppm... lets say im starting out with my well water with 600ppm....am i screwed from the get go seeing how just the well water is over my 400ppms i want?

• Like Like x 1
  5. I reccomend useing distilled water or ro water

6. Beautiful plants there. Have they shown sex yet?

7. i only used the well water for 1 week till i discovered that the RO water was better to use....with its almost 0 ppms!  im still trying to figure out this ppm crap with the diff water...

• Like Like x 1
  8. all FEMALE clones....

• Like Like x 1
  9. So is distilled. Then beautiful ladies lol

10. #11 jackofall, Mar 25, 2014
    so....when RAISING PPMs in the N.S.....which do i use?  all 3 of them with same ratio i used to begin with?

i am using the 1/4 teaspoon per gallon for all 3 nutes....and then 10ml of the CalMag (total i had 400ppms)....this was on Friday....i checked the ppms today and my reservoir is at about 200ppms....so it used up 200ppms!?

Do I add another 1/4 teaspoon of each to bump the solution back up a little back to 400ppms?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Great question. I also am asking the same question. I was told to make up a bucket of water solution with the added PPM's and water. Then add that to your res. they call it topping off. Now this maybe wrong but like I said this is what I was told on here. I subbed on to your thread and will follow progress. I also have 6 clones and am waiting to transplant. Was wondering how long did you wait till you did? How did you get the roots through the net pots?

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

12. #13 jackofall, Mar 25, 2014
    i made the mistake 1st off after receiving my clones to assume they were rooted like they should be....needless to say...i was wrong....only 1 of the 3 clones were rooted....i immediately took the clones (that were in dirt in a solo cup) and rinsed em off with water and stuck em right away into the rockwool and under the light...hence the reason hy 2 of my plants are small compared to the giant...lol...with hindsight...ida left those 2 small clones inside a clone dome for those 2 to 3 weeks and then hit em with my big light....and as far as getting roots....i just let time takes its course....day by day you can see progress....well...at least so far...

i just checked the roots on all 3 buckets...and they look amazing!  and each lady already has a few roots down to the bottom of the bucket already....woohoo!

13. How long did you wait to transplant? How many roots did you have?

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1395756352.457761.jpg

That's what I'm working with. I was waiting for my last clone to pop roots out of rockwool. I read wait till u see 80% roots out of rockwool.

How do I get the roots through my net pot to transplant to big block in my bucket system?
    Should I cut the net pot to remove rockwool n roots?

14. #15 jackofall, Mar 25, 2014
    i didnt wait to transplant them like i should have....only my one plant (my Northern Lights) had about 2 weeks of roots on her when i received her....all 3 clones were in cloning rockwool...i just rinsed the dirt off of em and put em in my hydroton buckets....and away they went....

im not sure what to tell ya there....you can always cut the pots apart...
    and whats this 'big block" ?

15. Oh wow... Damn. Great job though. So do u think I will have problems getting them out the net pot?

16. they are just plastic pots....just make sure you dont cut any roots!

17. Yea they are just plastic. The not cutting roots part scares me. Any other suggestion?

18. no clue!  im newer at this than you probably.....lol  im only on Day 18 of veg....

19. Oh ok.. I got you. First time I used a plug and it was easy a shit. Lol now with this net pot I'm new like brand new..lmao. But thanks for the help. Still subbed to your thread. Check mines out too