Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Hemp oil and low blood pressure side effect

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by runukinfuts, Mar 24, 2014.

1. I recently made some Rick Simpson hemp oil for a friend with stage 4 cancer. He also has high blood pressure and is taking prescription meds for this. After about 7 small doses of the oil his blood pressure dropped dangerously to 79 over 49. Has anyone else had this experience after taking the oil? Any suggestions...?

2. I'm interested to see to how combat low blood pressure caused by cannabis. I myself have been experiencing to the point where I've been feeling extremely light head, throwing up, etc. I hope you're able to find your answers

Maybe his meds for the high blood pressure are the problem not the cannabis oil. Maybe if he didn't take the meds but used just the oil it would keep his blood pressure perfect.

4. I'd love to hear from someone who used the oil to get off blood pressure meds and control high blood. My dad takes meds for his blood pressure and he might be willing to try the oil if I knew the protocol.

5. I shared advice and a $#!^ load of links recently in a similar thread.

There's a lot of relative info on Rick's Phoenix Tears website - specifically regarding the interaction between cannabis and blood pressure meds. It's in the FAQ.

Basically, he said that although he did not instruct people to stop taking their (high) blood pressure meds, they did on their own accord as they no longer needed them. Of course you can understand the legal ramifications of telling someone whether to take their prescribed meds or not vs allowing them to make their own decision.

My personal view is that cannabis lowers blood pressure overall - although it can INCREASE the heart rate temporarily when consuming. It is quite likely that their high blood pressure meds are combining with cannabis to essentially give "too much" of a BP reduction. I'm not a doc so don't quote me on it but if I was the patient, I would cut back on the BP meds while taking this oil, to avoid too low a drop.

In this case, by consistently measuring their BP with an at-home device you can adjust accordingly. The patient MAY still need some of their BP med, albiet at a lower dose. In time it is quite likely they would need no BP meds at all, while or after treating with cannabis.

6. Thanks 00Hassel! I have read the BP info on Rick's Phoenix Tears website; but really never heard an account from someone who used the oil for the purpose of going off BP pharmaceuticals. You're probably right, though, that consistently measuring the BP would be necessary.

7. If the oil drops his blood pressure then he should just stop taking the blood pressure meds...I'm not a doctor but that's just my personal opinion.

The low blood pressure side effect seems to go away with tolerance. I've taken my blood pressure sober and high many many times and it's always between 110-120/70-80. The oil is much more concentrated and some people metabolize it better than others. The bioavailability is highly variable from person to person. He needs to acclimate his body to the dose slowly.
    What kind of dose did you start him on? I'm not an expert but if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

8. I'm a 71 year old male with stage IV neck and throat cancer and high blood pressure. I've been on the oil only since I found out, I was taking 3 meds for high bp and found I couldn't manage them all. For 2 months I've been totally off all Rx meds for high bp and use only my RSO dose for both conditions. So far, so good. But, we are all unique so I would be very cautious when making this type of decision. Best of luck.
    Leonardthefast. 

9. It's cool when elderly folks can use the Internet. My parents are like 50 and can't even turn on a computer

Omega369

10. 50 year old female and in excellent health with the exception of my high blood pressure.  I tried some oil last night not realizing it would lower my BP. I am on meds and it is usually 151/112 on an average ( with meds - gotta love VA healthcare) 

Last night BP read @ 118/72. Took it again a few minutes later and it read: 110/71. 

• Like Like x 2
  11. I recently noticed my blood pressure was very low. 74/54 at times. It is now stabilizing at 106/66. I was trying to think what the cause was as i was completely checked out by a doctor and she said she could find nothing wrong with me. I usually have normal b/p. I quick eating all meat and chicken about 2 years ago and have been taking marijuana oil at night to sleep. Not sure if it is the oil or diet?? Going to try oil on my husband as he taking meds for high b/p.

12. Mines been as low as 91/64 and sometimes scares me. Better than the 157/87 it was though.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

13. God I wished it worked that well for me.