I picked up The Hot Zone

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by shermdawg767, Mar 22, 2014.

1. #1 shermdawg767, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
    It's a book by Richard Preston. Anybody read this book? Is it any good? It was recommended by my biology lab instructor. She said it was pretty good? Any Comments?

"We can't stop here this is bat country"-Fear and Loathing

2. Haven't heard of it tell me if its any good though!

3. yea i read it years ago, good book. will scare the shit out of you though, especially considering theres been another outbreak of ebola in west africa. 

4. I'm half way through the book so far it's pretty good. Very graphic and detailed on how the virus reacts once it's in the body. Makes it uncomfortable to read but I can't help but keep reading.
    You should check it out.

"We can't stop here this is bat country"-Fear and Loathing

5. ive heard of it for awhile and see it on alot of reading lists. I want to read it.

6. So far I'm half way through it and it's awesome and very graphic

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. Preston is one of my favourite authors. I will read everything he writes. If you enjoy The Hot Zone, check out "The Demon in the Freezer" for more of his writing. The connections he has formed with so many of the top disease/BSL-4 researchers provide seriously valuable insight. "The Demon in the Freezer" is very relevant right now as next week the WHO will meet to decide if they will destroy the remaining cultures of smallpox.

"The Cobra Event" is great too, it's his attempt at a fictional bioterrorism scenario. Very graphic and clearly based on his previous work. It's fiction, but grounded in fact for the most part.

8. I'll check out demon in the freezer for sure man. Thanks, I think that's why I enjoy reading the hot zone because it's based on diseases that actually exist making things a little paranoid but very fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Smallpox is gone :p

They kept an amount of antidote in the event that terrorists released smallpox, they would have something to develop a cure.