Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

whats a good marijuana strain for anxiety and depression(list of strains)

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by johncoo6, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Hello, well i just got my medical card and i am unsure on which strain to purchase. there are no dispensaries yet in my area (mass) so i have to buy from the place my doctor gave me. but basically i know different strains have different effects and im looking for something to help me relax and mellow me out not really get me stimulated which i know sativa is known to do that i think. my choices are:

jack the ripper-sativa
    warlock-sativa
    big sur-sativa
    sensativa-sativa
    purple pine-indica
    white widow-hybrid
    grape kush-hybrid
    agent orange-hybrid
    mexi sensi-sativa

they have new strains all the time so it varies but this is what they have now. is anybody familiar with any of these cause i am completely lost lol.

2. #2 Lebowski, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014

Well, generally it's the opposite. Sativas are found to be generally stimulating and indicas generally relaxing. Some people have the opposite experience, but they're a small minority.

I would recommend you try a good example of and indica and a sativa to get a feel for the difference.

Also see if you can acquire strains high in CBD, it does wonders for depression and especially anxiety.

And don't be afraid to experiment. Try new strains, some people have unique experiences with them.

</div>

3. #3 Mauhini, Mar 21, 2014
    I think White Widow would be a great strain for what you're looking for. It's a very euphoric strain one that a lot of people like to function off of and start there day. A 'wake and bake' if you would. Due to it's indica properties when you were to relax and lay down you will feel rather sleepy and at ease.

4. Purple kush

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

5. #5 Mr. Chiesel, Mar 21, 2014
    I'd steer clear of Jack the Ripper if that's from the Jack Herer lineage. Those strains tend to give me intense anxiety more so than any other strain I've tried.

Agent Orange is a chiller sativa hybrid that gives me a very chill, yet energetic feeling. Plus, it tastes amazing...like an orange soda or something.

Everything is getting better everyday.

6. One thing about sativas- they do indeed give people increased anxiety. It's unfortunate because despite the anxiety, they are clear headed and energetic- very nice effects.

I found a way to use sativas without anxiety is to mix some high CBD cannabis in with the sativa. For example, i'll smoke Jack Herer in the morning, which by itself makes me shaky/overstimulated and anxious, but I'll mix in some 15% CBD cannabis at about a 1:1 ratio, this completely negates the anxiety. The high from the combination is clear and energetic, but calm and smooth at the same time.

If you have access to high CBD strains I encourage you experiment mixing it into strains that would normally produce anxiety and see how that affects you.

7. Leafly lists medicinal benefits of each strain on their site.

Sent from my Moto X.

From my experience, the information on Leafly is a bunch of hogwash. According to them, pretty much every strain is good for every ailment.

They also have problems with nonspecific reviews of strains- for example there is ONE entry for OG kush with reviews, but on the street there are 5 or 6 different phenotypes of OG kush with varying effects. It's very much oversimplified. Take the information on leafly with a grain of salt.

9. So, what's a better source?

^^

this.

glad someone feels the same way about that site.. too many people use it as some sort of weed bible, and there's tons of errors in there.

11. I use leafly, seedfinder.eu, forums, etc

try to use multiple sources in everything you do

12. #12 LQ142, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
    High CBD! Harlequin is my new favorite strain. It's calming like an indica but also extremely clear headed like a sativa. Anything with high CBD will be great for anxiety and depression. It also negates some of the negative effects of THC like anxiety. 

If I vape some 10% CBD stuff in the morning I can vape high THC stuff all day without getting anxiety. It's really quite remarkable...

13. Harlequin is a great strain! I'm glad CBD strains are getting around.

I've had the pleasure of trying an 18% CBD, 1% THC strain called R4 recently. If only I could get my hands on seeds from that..

14. #14 Currin_0, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Go in and ask the bud tender about a sativa tincture- it helps with depression, anxiety, pain, etc. As of the strains shown look up them individually on leafly. Google (white widow leafly) under effects will show everything you need @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

15. White widow.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. This is very interesting.
    What if you smoke very high thc and it sets off an anxiety attack. Can you smoke the cbd stuff and does the anxiety go away?
    Would like to here more about this subject.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

17. I have a lot of experience with using CBD to combat the paranoid highs associated with certain sativas. It takes away a large portion of the psychoactive effect (the trippiness) and replaces it with a calm feeling.

It almost feels like you're not high, but it's just a different form of relief. Any time you get the chance to try a CBD strain, jump at it.

18. Oh really? I had no idea.
    I'm already planning a trip to Denver. I'm definitely going to try a high cbd strain first than anything else.
    Thanks bro

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

19. I'm smoking white OG now I usually have high anxiety and depression but with some nice weed songs I'm dancin in my room after two bowls and a dab of kush oil, but I was already happy b4 the oil. The bad feelings and thoughts still come to you sometimes but it's like you care less especially with good music on. I'm coming down a bit so ima hit another bowl.

20. I Have serve g.a.d. and ibs

Don't by into strain name b.s.! You can have white widow from 5 different growers and it not turn out exactly the same. Even if it started from the same batch of seeds.

Go by content, This can be reiable to but it's your best bet.

If your problem is only anxiety and you don't have other medical conditions.

You could get by with just smoking. Although if your anxiety is serious enough 100mg of decarb cbd would stop it in it's tracks. With a 25-50mg thc edible.

But if your stuck on smoking. Thc can cause anxiety, where you smoked to much thc at one time, or if you become a heavy user and you wait to long to smoke there is a lack of thc with get you irritable which can induce anxiety until your next high. (Those symptoms go away after you stop for awhile but then your stuck with just your regular anxiety)

We will always need thc never forgot that. Just in lower doses for this.

Cbd I think has proven to be the best anti anxiety medication. Limited studies have shown proof. More are being done right now.

So what my point if your smoking.... I believe you need herb ratios like 8%cbd and up with appropriate amount of thc. Like 8%cbd to 10% thc lower wouldnt hurt at all. If you wanna get serious, find cbd ratios that heavily out weigh thc and smoke that. And add thc from a different bag of mmj. That way you can control your high a little better.