Vegan Organic LED PC Micro Grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Vegi, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Any picture updates? Haha

-------------------------
    All of my advice comes from years of farming and green housing experience.

I'm a hacker, I'm a grower, I'm a stunt man. Live your life :)

2. Day 16

• Seed: Nirvana Seeds Northern Lights Auto Fem
    • Stage: Vegetation Day 12
    • Soil: Organic Compost, Vermiculite, Lime, Rock of Potash, Alfalfa Mix, Sphagnem Moss & Mycorrhizal Fungi
    • Temp: 27.5C/81.5F
    • Hum.: 45%
    Sorry for the delay in updating but my baby just hasn't been well :( . Came back after a few days to find she had either serious light burn, N deficiency or some form of nute lockout.

I got straight to work and transplanted into a bigger tub and with a new mix as above. Realised the wrinkle in the leaves might have been due to overwatering.

The humidity doesn't seem that high either, I've added a water bowl but nothing much has changed.

I also got rid of my 12W lamp which was hanging and replaced with my new 50W UFO; more powerful, better spectrum of lights but much higher up.

View attachment 137068

Also added a carbon filter to the upper most fan.

Here's a few pics I took after transplant, the larger leaves are clearly showing signs of stress as mentioned above, not sure if I can do anything for them now but the newer centre leaves look much healthier (and greener).

Any advice much appreciated.

View attachment 137069
    View attachment 137070
    View attachment 137071

3. #23 corkybuchek, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
    howdy

the yellowing tips could be a sign of: over watering

or mineral deficiency. or the amendments have not cycled sufficiently

your humidity should be fine due to the proximity of your plant to the soil. Place the hygrometer on the soil and see if the reading is up

without knowing much about your soil or nute regiment i would guess its over watering. Potassium deficiencies (should be) rare in soil.

Raise temperatures, set fans, and elevate your pots so oxygen can flow up and down as well as horizontally the soil should dry out every few days (never really bone-dry though)

looking good and best wishes for the crop,

4. You probably won't need the carbon filter until you go into flowering ( it'll last longer if not used till needed)

As for humidity I would suggest a humidifier, or running a shower etc.. Sometimes bowls of water just don't cut it

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks guys, very simple but effective tips

6. Looks interesting. What kind of ufo light is that, and where did you order from? I was thinking to maybe get one for my PC later on. But I don't want to spend money unnecessarily. Apparently the light strips that came with my mrgrowpro are sufficient. I don't have much experience with this though. Looks like that ufo light fits in your case just fine. What kind of carbon filter are you using?

7. I cried when you said you'd use that beautiful zalman case. What a waste!

Good luck grow though, looks good so far.

One blood? One all!

8. Cheers bro; yeah your light strips should be fine. Most UFOs are 300mm approx but I found two guys on eBay who both did a 170mm UFO. Cost me around £48

I got a simple cooker hood carbon filter but I also have some ona gel I'm gonna add once she starts to flower.

Haha cheers dude. As did I but I haven't butchered her just yet lol.

9. Day 20

• Seed: Nirvana Northern Lights Auto Fem
    • Stage: Vegetation Day 16
    • Soil: Organic Compost, Vermiculite, Lime, Rock of Potash, Alfalfa Mix, Sphagnem Moss & Mycorrhizal Fungi
    • Temp: 25.1C/77.18F
    • Rel. Hum: 49%
    My baby is looking alot more healthier (I hope), not as deep green as some plants on here but I'm happy with her at the moment:

View attachment 137188
    View attachment 137189
    View attachment 137190

The question I have is; is this good, OK or bad growth for the 16th day of Veg? Does she look to be doing well? Or is this going a little too slow?

Thanks

10. Hey Vegi, that appears to be good growth for 16 days. Here is my baby at that same age under some cfls. 1396718888191.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. #31 GreenHackTM, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
    It looks like you're starting to get things under control. Good looking new growth. Keep it up bud

12. Help!

So although my initial leaves had an issue during my time I left it alone for a few days; still unsure if it was over watering, nute lockout or light burn, the new leaves are now suffering the same fate with slight brown tips.

I also notice the leaves are very light in colour.

Can anyone help? Any likely natural cures I can use?

View attachment 137418

View attachment 137419

View attachment 137420

Any help no matter how small would be greatly appreciated!

13. #33 GreenHackTM, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
    Did you let your soil cook for a min of two weeks before putting the plants in?

Edit: I went back and looked at your mix you are using. What's your nutrient source?

14. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397072143.137254.jpg

15. Thanks GH, looks like Nitrogen deficiency and/or Zinc too

Quite worried now  :unsure:

16. Post a picture of your new growth.

17. Have you considered this being a soggy-root nutrient lockout? Either that or light bleaching, 50w may be too much for such a small plant, so close.

18. #38 Vegi, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
    Update

Well, after no joy and my baby looking even worse, I took drastic action last night; I removed from the tub, removed a lot of soil and just loosened the soil and replanted. It was badly wilted by morning (almost all vertical leaves) to the point of me just about giving up.

Went out, got some perlite, and some proper seedling & smaller pots.

After an hour of replanting and using perlite; what a difference!!!

I have to say I think it was just about to be catastrophic based on a group of n00b errors on my part;

• No aeration in the soil; I had vermiculite which I thought would add some but it does the exact opposite. I now have Perlite.
    • Too much watering, this was definitely a factor. I think everyone commenting on my plant on here has said some form of overwatering and the soil was definitely too moist
    • The tub; I went straight from seed to a large tub to an even larger tub. This gave no time for the roots to develop and I sank the stem in too deep when transferring to the larger tub. It also had too few holes to allow aeration but also the moisture to escape. This meant the soil on top was too dry; I watered while the bottom was too moist. Every time I watered it made it worse
    • I had the wrong type of Moss; lol, now all gone
    Here she is right now after about 8 hours of transfer in the new pots;

View attachment 137555
    View attachment 137556

Still not out of the woods just yet, but it looks promising. Hope I don't have to destroy my first baby  :wub:

Oh, started to germinate another seed so I'll be starting that one as well once she sprouts just in case.

Here we go again...  :eek:

19. yea man it will grow for sure. it still is a weed :)

20. Looking much better man. Just keep at it, perlite is your best friend in your soil. Keep it up!