questions / concerns about getting into high end glass

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by DMR921, Mar 19, 2014.

1. #1 DMR921, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
    Hey all,

So I have been searching around aqualabs n broswithglass with the obvious intention about purchasing a high end bong, to get something "namebrand". Anyways, there were a few questions I had about what all you get when you start getting involved with high end glass in terms of your actual hits being smoother.

I understand that many people like quality glass because it is durable, and not "chinaglass" however, I'm EXTREMELY careful with all pieces, regardless of their cost. I have been smoking for three years and have purchased 4 bongs over that period of time, and a dozen or so bowls and not a single piece is even remotely damaged, and I have never had one of my bongs knocked over.

Case in point: http://www.grasscity.com/us_en/black-leaf-double-honeycomb-perc-stemless-scientific-glass-tube-45cm-blue.html#.UymnOV5FeUo vs http://www.grasscity.com/online_headshop/orange-logo-roor-bong-ice-master-roor-logo-series.cfm?iProductID=9956

I highly doubt that the roor piece, while $150 more expensive, is going to be a more smooth hit on my lungs and throat than the double honeycomb. So with all durability thoughts aside, what benefits do you get from having higher end glass? At what point are you starting to really only pay for that name brand?

I'm sure you guys understand what I am getting at, and I am in NO WAY bashing higher end glass as I do really want to get a nice piece, but I just want to make sure that I'm getting the most for my money.

2. [quote name="DMR921" post="19710601" timestamp="1395239382"]Hey all,

So I have been searching around aqualabs n broswithglass with the obvious intention about purchasing a high end bong, to get something "namebrand". Anyways, there were a few questions I had about what all you get when you start getting involved with high end glass in terms of your actual hits being smoother.

I understand that many people like quality glass because it is durable, and not "chinaglass" however, I'm EXTREMELY careful with all pieces, regardless of their cost. I have been smoking for three years and have purchased 4 bongs over that period of time, and a dozen or so bowls and not a single piece is even remotely damaged, and I have never had one of my bongs knocked over.

Case in point: http://www.grasscity.com/us_en/black-leaf-double-honeycomb-perc-stemless-scientific-glass-tube-45cm-blue.html#.UymnOV5FeUo vs http://www.grasscity.com/online_headshop/orange-logo-roor-bong-ice-master-roor-logo-series.cfm?iProductID=9956

I highly doubt that the roor piece, while $150 more expensive, is going to be a more smooth hit on my lungs and throat than the double honeycomb. So with all durability thoughts aside, what benefits do you get from having higher end glass? At what point are you starting to really only pay for that name brand?

I'm sure you guys understand what I am getting at, and I am in NO WAY bashing higher end glass as I do really want to get a nice piece, but I just want to make sure that I'm getting the most for my money.[/
    quote]
    I'm sure you work hard for your money as most of us do, that being said why shouldn't you treat yourself to something nice?

God knows I could have nice clothes or a sweet watch but that doesn't make me happy...I love glass and don't mind dropping some dough on something that makes all my hard work worth it.

That's the way I see it.

3. I'm sure you work hard for your money as most of us do, that being said why shouldn't you treat yourself to something nice?

God knows I could have nice clothes or a sweet watch but that doesn't make me happy...I love glass and don't mind dropping some dough on something that makes all my hard work worth it.

That's the way I see it.

4. If you want the "most" for the money and are interested in value and just the hit, then high end glass isn't for you.  Go for something mid range like zob, syn, hvy, etc.  I got a sov pillar cause it looks awesome.  I think it functions better than those mid range glass pieces due to flavor retention while being smooth but I don't think it functions 3X as well as those other pieces.

If you aren't into the aesthetics of a piece and just want something to smoke out of then don't get heady glass.  name brand/heady glass usually retains value better than midrange prodo.  Some of the glass i've bought actually appreciated so it's worth more used than when I bought it new.  So if you trade glass and such, then resale value should be a concern.

My pillar:

[​IMG]

5. #5 MRCRONIK, Mar 19, 2014
    I personally am not a huge fan of percs I don't really care for them, I've always preferred straight tubes over them mainly b/c I always look to get the least drag out of my piece. Now if your options are between the RooR and the Black Leaf no doubt you should get the RooR.
    many people here don't care for Black Leaf mostly b/c of its rep. For being China glass. Now my friend has literally the same piece except with a honey comb ash catcher with it & it's a nice piece but put up against my ice master it gets blown away every time.

I've had numerous people tell me how bad that piece fucked them up from just one bowl!
    my brother who is a huge stoner & has been smoking almost everyday for the past couple of years who mainly uses a bong after taking the first hit he continued to cough his ass off for like 10 min straight, told me he's never ripped a bong that hit that hard haha said it hit like a tank that's where I got the name for it lol,
    in ways it basically pays for it self I've had many people sometimes I don't even know them hit me up just to try it out.
    I don't mind dishing out extra money on a brand if I know for a fact will be the best quality I can get. & especially if you are careful with your glass it will last you forever!
    So believe me when I say You won't regret buying the ice master :)

+ they're just sexy as Hell ;)

Who Dat!

6. #6 DMR921, Mar 19, 2014
    That's sorta my point, I don't want a bong that hits really hard lol, I want something smooth. I have a sensitive stomach and have the tendency to yak when I am coughing too hard.

The blackleaf was just a quick example I found on the GC store, but worked because it's cheap and has percs, I am not debating between the two though. But again, the durability of a piece matters to me, but isn't the main thing to make or break a purchase, as I take very good care of my glass.

I would have to agree though that the icemasters are sexy as hell.

I like the idea that Mogwi had, about buying "mid grade" brands, because the glass is still decent and you're not really paying for namebrand at that point. So that brings another question, what are some brands to consider for like the $300 range? Primarily for flower use.

7. #7 mogwi411, Mar 19, 2014

If you want the smoothest hit possible, (and I know I bad mouth this brand from time to time cause personally I don't like em) DG is about as smooth as you can get.  I don't like it cause no flavor, but you can take as big a hit as you want and probably not cough.  It's the most diffusing piece I've used (which is why it's so smooth and why it lacks flavor).  I wouldn't go with an icemaster or unperc'd piece if you want smooth.

David Goldstein
    Mobius stereomatrix
    kush science 
    stone glass works

Also 2 chambers would be more diffusion so also look at : (these will be a bit pricier)
    toro shrub circ-circ, froth-froth,  (I think hex, circ, and froth percs are more diffusive than arm tree, interaline, contourax (but I haven't used all of em)

Olympic helix horizonline

I think you'll find that those I listed stack nice and offer a lot of diffusion.

8. Was in the shop today, and saw a RooR icemaster, was $220. Seem legit or too good to be true? Was heavy, the logo seemed right, the joint for the downstem was really well done, really smooth. I don't know if the signature was authentic as I haven't seen any that are commonly known as fake other than the half moon dot style around the joint for the downstem. The downstem was a RooR Tech but the bowl was just labeled with RooR.

9. high end glass is art

10. here's 5mm

Who Dat!

Attached Files:

11. most likely a US tube than, must sold in the states are

Who Dat!

12. #12 DMR921, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
    Well the actual tube was RooR labeled, all roor techs are labeled with roor tech, including the 2 RT bubblers sitting next to the tube I want at the store

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. This is like all expensive things. If you want it to stay nice then you have to take care of it. I bought a bong and had a hairline crack in it. So I bought a case so I can be sure it won't get damaged

14. The thing you are getting with high end functioning glass is most often a well thought idea on how the bong should work, quality glass goes without saying. The percs are placed properly, the diffusion is good and the flavor retention is (most often) there to some extend and the piece is most often executed with attention to detail. I would also think that the higher end pieces (not sure) have a lot of different profiles to how they hit, in other words, I think you get a broader experience with your hit. They are often more unique in the design too. The china or lower end glass I have are either not thought through and have bad design decisions or are not made properly.

Examples on bad design: Bent Apache inline (beaker) to tree. Inline should always have constricted space otherwise they wont function optimally. Good examples are the hops inline.

Blaze 2xTower: A straight tube with 2x8 dual slit trees and a downstem. This piece is good enough on the design front, but the execution of the trees causes them to fire unevenly if you dont pull hard on it. I have a hard time imagining that toro would come with crooked tree slits for example.

And then we have the other end of the spectrum, the Peyote Pillar. Extremely well functioning piece where almost everything has it place. Smoothest of the pieces I have with arguably less diffusion, I sadly cannot say anything on the smoothness compared to a Matrix or fritt.

Just my two cents. When I have the economy for it I will expand my collection so I can get some more experience with different types of pieces. Eg, I would like a 2xMatrix, a 2xFritt and a low diffusing recycler so that I can experience the different type of hits and better find what suits me. There are also some in between brands, like Apix design. I don't have one myself, but they seem extremely well made and quite thought through.

Best regards
    k