Old and New beginnings My First Organic grow

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Iamaries54, Mar 18, 2014.

1. #1 Iamaries54, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014

My current grow  is from two failed attempts , Pineapple chunk and Dinafem obsession started in steril soil with nutes and one plant never could get it right , nute burns and a defency I could never get under control ....  then I had 6 purple bud plants   I started in a bubbleponics system , High res temps created the perfect envronment for root rot,,, 
    So in an attempt to get things under control I transplanted all of them in to a simple organic soil I had cooking
    Blood , bone, kelp meal , Rock phosphate and dolimite lime added to a basic soiless mix of 2p peat and 1 part perlite 1 part EWC from a local rabbit farmer and my own carden compost...
    I am now appx a week out on the PB and 2-3 weeks out on the PC  To chop , Obsession is somewhere in between

2014-03-04 09.21.24.jpg 2014-03-04 09.21.52.jpg 2014-03-04 09.34.23.jpg 2014-03-04 14.01.03.jpg

In the mean time I have cracked 8 Hashberry by Mandela and one dinafem Cheese. The hashberry is supposed to handle the heat and by the time they are done I will have consistant temps in the 90's only cooling will be just fans and passive air coming in the bottom of the room ,   I have talked to some groweers in new zeland who regularly grow in tems up to 104 F Landrace strains seem to be able to handle the heat
    My current soil is the same as before and I have added crab meal  and Neem seed meal 
    I am currently vegging under a cheep chinese 300 w Led, I hnave 2 of them and   the LED  does a fine job in veg , my current plants are under 400w HPS and 300w led 
    I will need to either buy a cooltube for for my 400 or my  600w hps   the hps or I am working on a 500w 2700k  induction  lamp to use for Flower. Im also a cheap bastard and if I can get the induction  lamp I will need to  make a reflector of some sort 
     I like the idea of lamps that will last for 5-10 years and led and induction lamps IMHO are the way of the future, 
    Any  suggestion which way to go is welcome ..... 
    My  main grow room is in the back of my outdoor  shed  42" x 42" x 80" with a 36 x 18 x 40 veg   box for starting the babies till the main room is ready again 
    I will top dress with EWC/compost and neem seed meal as I go along Here they are at about 10 days
    First time all potted up  1/2  sterile soil and 1/2 my current soil 3/12
    2014-03-12 09.24.10.jpg
    Cheese 3/18
    2014-03-18 07.37.01.jpg

Hashberry  3/18
    this was the last seed to crack has a funky brown spot 
    <div> 2014-03-18 07.36.33.jpg
    Some more hashberry 
    2014-03-18 07.34.15.jpg 2014-03-18 07.36.07.jpg
    2014-03-18 07.35.20.jpg
    All opinions  and suggestions are welcome and appreciated 

</div> 

2. Looked at the roots this morning and the larger hashberry  are already at the bottom of the pots. Guess Ill have to repot into 1 gallon pots this weekend.
    Few fungus gnats showing up on my sticky traps, I have neem meal mixed in with the soil and mixed in the top with some EWC but they appear to be coming from the bottom. Will fabric pots solve that problem ?

3. I'm really liking the Hashberry plants really putting on some growth . I gave them a Kelp/EWC tea  Misted and soil Drench, also topped with EWC/Compost. Gonna need to repot this weekend  as there are lots of roots in the bottom holes now.... 

PB is almost  ready to harvest Buds starting to swell almost look like they have seeds except they are empty also  it is now putting out some new white  pistols on one plant. I am not seeing much Leaf yellowing yet on my PB still looks like a healthy plant .
    Watered PB and PC with a little kelp and fish in the water.

4. To get rid of the gnats, I believe you have to topdress with something like perlite or rice hulls. You may be able to topdress with the neem. I'm not 100% positive on that.

Everything is looking good by the way! A lot of people growing the hashberry too. A couple other guys I know have it going. Makes me think I need to read up on it a bit more.

Good luck with the grow, and hope it all goes well this time around!

5. im thinking of diatomaceous earth  mixed with ewc and a little  neem as a top dress.......

Hashberry is a  vigorous plant  it has exceeded my expectations so far , and  you can get 10 seeds with very stealthy shipping  for like $30 us, so far I am very happy

I have  a new 400w 2700k induction lamp I am going to flower them under. 

Thanks for looking

6. #6 Iamaries54, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
    I didn't get a chance to  repot this weekend so here are the girls before putting them in gallon pots. I will try to get to that in the morning 

Hashberry 
    2014-03-24 17.27.28.jpg 2014-03-24 17.27.53.jpg 2014-03-24 17.28.10.jpg 2014-03-24 17.28.37.jpg 2014-03-24 17.29.53.jpg

Cheese

2014-03-24 17.30.25.jpg

Here is a spectral chart on my new 400w Induction light I will use to flower. Gotta build a reflector anyone have any experiance 
    dimensions are 860 x 161 x 155 mm

Induction Grow Light 500...are Tube Ballast _ eBay.jpg

7. I moved the girls to 1gal pots a few days ago, Decided to top 3 plants  for 4 colas uncle ben style, When I got the new growth removed I found some rust type fungus on the lower leaves, I guess the ventilation in my small veg cab wasn't up to snuff.... then I realized my passive intake was blocked. I opened up a new intake across the back added a small pc fan to blow across the  tops.

I removed the infected leaves and made a compost spray which included serenade. Also found a few white flies on the older leaves... Do I need something stronger than neem ?  I have some bayer  veg spray which includes sulfur and pyrethrins not really organic I guess, I will just keep a closer eye on the girls spring time in fl the bugs have come alive ...... 

Here are a few pics after the trim

Attached Files:

8. My new inductor lamp should be here in 2 weeks , I think I have a refl figured out. Since the lamp is not that much different from a flourescent lamp  I found a couple old 46 x 8 Floro Refl made to install on 4ft strip lights
    The light is appx 34 x 6 x 4.5 in , appears to include the inductors in that dimension, , Since the inductors are made to connect to the refl on top I will use a piece of Din rail and mount the refl. and the inductors to that and see if it is strong enough.

My plan is to mount the ballest / driver out of the flower room , Not sure if there is a max distance on the wiring... HOPE the wiring diagram is not in Chinese 

Attached Files:

• refl.JPG
      refl.JPG
      File size:
      161.9 KB
      Views:
  9. #9 Iamaries54, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
    time to chop the Purple bud girls Ive got an old refrig I am gonna stick one plant in and leave it cracked open so It will not go under 40f  and see if I can get her to purple up a bit

Attached Files:

10. Update

Temps have been running between 80 and 100f and the plants are doing fine as long as I keep lots of air flow and water
    I have been battling the rust with teas and neem oil sprays but once they flowered I stopped spraying and it seems to be under control... I am flowering under my 400 w induction lamp all the buds are rock hard and dense, I dont know if its the lamp or the Hashberry strain.. I am getting close to chop on the first three plants.... My only knock on the Hashberry is the M/F ratio is definatly scewed to males as I have seen other growers complain about... But she is holding up under the heat which daytime is regularly near 100

2014-06-21 07.35.47.jpg 2014-06-25 08.33.29.jpg 2014-06-25 08.36.07.jpg 2014-06-25 08.36.16.jpg

11. Love that color!
    Did you do a trich check by chance?

12. Yeah  trics are still  clear, 1 week till  the first group  is supposed to be ready  One girl looks close, 

13. #13 Iamaries54, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
    I decided its time for some Sativas, so  Mandelas Beyond the brain and Kalachera .
    I grow with an organic peat based soil, I mix EWC , a little organic fert and pine fines to top off the pots
    They are under 2 300w Led's actual 400w total right now 
    The babies are  almost 4 weeks old and  I  topped them about 10 days ago , they really like my little cloner never skip a beat. Theres some St Josephs coat rose cuttings in there too 
    I went on vacation for a week so I made a sip tray with perlite and regular 1G nursery pots worked like a charm they dried out but still had enough moisture to thrive for a week .
    Im gonna continue with the sip keeps the soil moist but not wet

View attachment 146493
    View attachment 146492
    View attachment 146491
    View attachment 146490
    View attachment 146489

Thanks for looking 

14. I left my babies in 1g pots after I topped them they have grown back and then some . I wanted to  flip  them to 12/12 before I changed pot sizes. They slowly started to go from nice dark green  to lighter and lighter green . I started to give them some kelp and alfalfa tea with humic/ fulvic acid thinking it would green them up, after a week  it didnt .... I added EWC wilth a little organic fert.but it didnt seem to help. Is there any Liquid fertilizer I can add to my sip tray that will let me get them to where I can sex them before transplant ?

I went ahead and put them into 3 gal gro bags with fresh soil that has been cooking for a while so it would be easier to transplant and within 2 days they have greened up and growth has exploded .....
    Since I dont have Femmed seeds I cant put them into the 7 gal pots they will eventually finish in because of space limitations .
    Any suggestions how to make the transition would be helpful

. I will take some pics in the morning

15. #15 Iamaries54, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2014
    I Flipped them to 12/12 this morning , they will now be under my 400w 2700k  Induction lamp which gave me some thick and meaty Hashberry Buds, so far I am impressed by this lamp,From now on photos will be normal colors. This time I have 5 Beyond the brain and 3 krystalica, with clones for each looking for that big bad BTB to make a mother from

Attached Files:

16. #16 Iamaries54, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2014
    After the flip to 12/12 under 2700k after an  aloe and humic / fulvic acid spritz....
    IMAG0142.jpg IMAG0139.jpg IMAG0140.jpg IMAG0141.jpg
    clones under LED
    IMAG0143.jpg

17. [SIZE=14.2857141494751px]1 week from flip 12/12   The stretch has begun and   I have started using  Aloe vera in my  water and teas    No sign of sex yet [/SIZE]
    IMAG0150.jpg IMAG0152.jpg IMAG0151.jpg
    Clones
    IMAG0153.jpg

18. http://youtu.be/eAQYaVlY_SU

19. #19 Iamaries54, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014
    K#1 BTB 1 and 2  Definitely male They were the largest plants which normally mean male 

I purchased 5  , 5 gal bags of EWC from my neighbor , he said it was from the bottom of a bin he was cleaning out  so it should have  cysts and some small worms. Cant get any fresher and for only $30

Just in time to transplant into my 7 gal root pouches as soon as they are sexed 

He uses half composted horse manure and half Florida peat as his main food source

20. Out of 7 plants 2 are female BTB5 and BTB3 this is my one complaint with Mandela the Hashberry was skewed male slightly but both krysticalla and Beyond the Brain went male 5 of 7 . BTB 3 seems to be the biggest female  really stretching .
    time to pot them up in the 7g root pouch and bend the BTB 3 a bit 
    took 2 clones of BTB5 and 3 clones of BTB3
    This is my first time growing sativas how do you even the canopy , should I top or bend ?