Zone 4 suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by MrsNancyBotwin, Mar 16, 2014.

1. #1 MrsNancyBotwin, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
    so i am new to The States, i moved here from Australia a lil over a year ago, from the tropics, to New England.. BIG CHANGE.. i dont know ANY of the plants that grow well here.. the seasons are back to front, the winter is LOOONG ((locked in a frozen wasteland for 5 months of the year!!)) so i need some advice..

i am planing a shade garden, i have a section of unused garden by my bedroom that doesnt get much direct sunlight, its between the house/barn/woods, 
    does anybody have any suggestions as to what i can grow in this dark cool spot? i want to put in a small pond, maybe a waterfall, have my own lil chill out zone..  ((we still have a foot of snow on the ground, last frost date isnt until early June.. so it will be a while before i can put anything in the ground))

2. Hi 4seaasons :wave:

Do you want to grow food, decorative plants or both in that area?

What's the soil like (Great Plant Escape - Soil Types)?

Annual or perennial plants?

Here's a link to an article that lists some shade tolerant vegetables, most shade-tolerant crops

I think this one would be helpful as well Best Vegetables to Grow in the Shade - Mother Earth News

'What to plant if you don't have full sun' Renee's Articles: Gardening in the Shade: what to plant if you don't ... This article talks about vegetables, herbs and some decorative flowers.

The soil type is a big factor in what will grow well (if growing in native soil), as well as the area being in the shade most of the day, etc... 

Hope this helps some. :bongin:

3. strawberries

4. depends on how dark you mean, and also how cool you mean