Texas organic guerilla grow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by deathlesszero, Mar 14, 2014.

1. That heat could be an issue come mid to late flower fyi..

Is this your first grow? If it is kudos for doing research you sound like you know what you have to do to get what you want

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. yea this is my first serious attempt. And mid to late flowering it should be a little cooler by then. Ive been considering buying a little shade cloth for the summer though..

3. what would be sufficient then? Again they shouldnt be under them for long

4. #24 deathlesszero, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2014
    i planned to do something similar to the fish idea but with rotting sticks /logs instead. Like a hugelkultr type thing. Il look into getting some blood and bone meal. I have some dry ferts thats derived from blood and bone meal but thats not as potent im sure.

5. You are going to have to use multiple lights. I would get 6500k bulbs at the hight watts you can find. Depending on the size if the plant one light per plant should be fine but larger plants might need two. You can set a timer to turn on during the middle off the night and run for and hour or two. Longer time wouldn't hurt and would actually help. By waking the plant up it interrupts it's sleep and helps prevents it from going into flower. It works well and can grow large plants. Good luck.

6. Stay away from rotting logs and sticks. But a basic soil such as Kellogg's Patio Plus. Add some bone and blood meal. I add a bunch of other dry amendments but I'll keep it basic for you. Some things are hard to find and the best place to find some are online. Also add kelp and alfalfa meal. If you can find crab and neem meal they will provide nutrients and prevent pest. During flower you can too dress or add bat guano and seabird guano to grow big dense flowers. I like to add extra perlite to deep things loose. Composted chicken manure helps provide nitrogen for flowering. It works better than cow manure and us cheap. Fish meal or emulsion is also a great source of nitrogen for veg. There are other things you could add to help but everything listed will provide a healthy soil. I forgot Peet moss is also to retain water but also allow drainage. The money spent will pay off with a much better harvest. Good luck and hit me up if you have questions. I'll do my best to help.

7. thanks for the info, il try my best to add some more stuff in my soil. Why do you say stay away from logs and sticks?

8. #28 MelOcora, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
    Rotting logs and sticks will lower the ph (acidity) in the soil. When it rains it leaches into the surrounding soil. Also too many oak leaves will create Tannin which is bad, creates acidity, so stay away from oaks. and acorns. I know there's a lot of oaks in Texas, plant nearer to the elms they're better. You can always line your hole with a trash bag and punch holes in the bottom for drainage and fill with your favorite mix. That has 2 advantages. It conserves water by keeping it where it's needed and it will keep leachates out of your mix.

9. Just as an aside, when you are done harvesting, be sure to dispose of the trash bags and any other trash that may have collected. As a matter of course it is best to keep your grow site clean anyway, Trash is easy to spot from the air and grow containers and empty bags of growing medium stick out like a sore thumb. Besides, as growers we want to remain eco-friendly.

10. I already dug the plots, not sure what kind of trees theyre next to. il have to look them up. And i already put a few little rotting logs in the bottom of my soil, i guess il go take them out. I like the trash bag idea but when it rains super heavy i don't want the roots to flood. Thanks for the info

11. No need for trash bags. That means more to clean up and limits roots from spreading into native soil. A properly built soil will drain just fine.

12. So i got my second hole dug and filled. Im ordering some blood and bone meal and some azomite to add to it. Would it help to cover the holes my soil is in to cook faster? With like a piece of wood or something?

Attached Files:

13. Covering it can possible kill microbs and benifical bacteria. It may not even really soeed things up. Just give it two weeks to a month to cook.

14. yeah that was a dumb question lol it wouldn't get rained on either . Thanks

15. My 2012 outdoor grow and then my 2013 all ran off Hugelkulture bottom quarter of my pots was rotting wood of variouskinds, goat manure and alfalfa hay mixed in that was their bedding. Dont knockit till u tried it and my results speak for themselves. Rotting wood is a harbinger of the microherd andholds moisture longer then most surrounding soil almost acting like anatural sip or wick system.

Hügelkultur (also spelled huegelkultur, roughly translated from German as "hill culture") is the practice of composting large woody material to create a raised garden bed. It is a way of dealing with excess amounts of woody garden wastes, for example prunings, hedge clippings, brassica stems, or brashwood.
    The technique involves digging a circular trench about 1' (30 cm) deep and 5' (1.5 m) wide, in the centre of which is dug another hole 1' (30 cm) deep hole. The material is piled in. Turf (grass) is then stacked face down on top, then layers of compost, well rotted leaves and manure, etc as available. The layers break down slowly and creating rich humus over four or five years. It is claimed that this is ideal for growing hungry crops such as zucchinis (courgettes) or strawberries.
    As the years pass, the deep soil of the raised bed becomes incredibly rich and loaded with soil life. As the wood shrinks, it makes more tiny air pockets - so your hügelkultur becomes self tilling. The first few years, the composting process will slightly warm the soil giving a slightly longer growing season, in temperate and cold climates.

16. Rd you never stop to amaze me with the amount of knowledge you have.

17. yeah i knew about this thats why i wanted to try it. I took them out though cause someone said it would throw off the ph

18. #38 deathlesszero, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
    I got some blood and bone meal, azomite and worm castings. Im gonna go mix it in today sometime

19. Couple pics. Il be germinating my 2 seeds on 4/20. I think im going to just directly sow them into 1 gal containers.

Attached Files:

20. Theres this white fuzz in my soil. Is this good or bad?

Attached Files: