Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

95% sure customs seized a bunch of my goodies? Advice?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by PhillyPhlavors, Mar 14, 2014.

1. I come here with a heavy heart. I purchased a box FULL of goodies from a reputable wholesaler in Germany last week, only to get it today to only contain 2 of my 17 shipped items. Now why I am yet to hear for sure customs has taken it, one can only assume. Now when I say a box of goodies, I mean it was full. I ordered:

A Blaze mix and match cooling tub
    Blaze mix and match stemless diffuser base
    Blaze mix and match 8 arm perc extender
    A Blaze precooler
    A large sharp stone crank grinder
    A plain large sharp stone grinder
    A Blaze double percolator
    A "00" Small humidor with hydrometer
    2 "00" mini humidors
    An Iolite Wispr
    2 45mm K clips
    And a plain old hookah

Needless to say, this literally felt like Christmas. It made it from the warehouse in Germany to Philadelphia in just under 21 hours, and took 5 days in customs. Today I picked it up, brought it inside, called up some friends, bought some beers, and literally made an event out of opening it. When I finally cut the tape, dang, there is literally only the humidor with the hydrometer, and a broken hookah from what I have to image stems up to floating around a big empty box. Instant disappointment. I spend the next how ever long digging through the remaining six inches of packing peanuts until my friend grabs my hand, and kindly assures me there isn't anything in there. When it left Germany, it weighed 10.22kg, and when it got here it was empty. Needless to say I contacted ups instantly, only to be told they would need to launch an investigation. I haven't heard anything from customs regarding a seizure, but I'm assuming I will any day now. There were no stickers on the box hinting towards customs seizing my glass, not a letter in the box. They took everything down to the K clips. Now I have to assume it's seized, right? But now I wonder why, because everything is perfectly legal, correct? So what now? I assume I'm not in any legal trouble, because frankly, I wasn't doing anything illegal. Do I just consider my stuff gone, and hope the company replaces it through insurance, or does that not cover seizure?

Thanks,
    Sad toker

2. Probably did get seized.
    When something gets seized they just throw away whatever the item was and forget about it.
    They don't keep track so there really is no way of finding out. I also don't think ups will be much help because if it was seized they're not notified of it. Or your package could just be taking a long time I've heard of orders taking 1-3 months so yeah man if 3 months have passed your stuff was most likely thrown away and forgotten about.

3. Is paraphernalia like that illegal in philly? 

4. if it has resin on it, yes

5. It was brand new glass. Which is why I'm lost. Me and my friends were laughing, maybe quality control tested it. Ha

6. :laughing:  haha

But seriously, that sucks 

7. They are a reputable dealer, and I ordered a ton of product. Do you think I should expect them to work with me to replace my package?

8. Are you in Pennsylvania? I'm assuming so from your username. 

Working on finding the exact law, but it seems that you are not allowed to have paraphernalia (clean or not) shipped into PA, which is why shops like Grasscity will not deliver packages to PA customers. 

9. I don't think I'm allowed to post other companies on here, so I will say that they are the distributor for blaze bongs. I wouldn't be surprised if GC orders from them with the prices they have.

10. Dang. I could easily have it sent to NJ, would they work with me and have it possibly shipped to a friend in NJ?

11. And also, Philadelphia has quite a few head shops, how would they receive product?

No idea, you'd have to speak to the shops customer service. 

Face to face transactions? Having items shipped to another state and picking it up? I'm sure there are plenty of ways to get around it, and I'm sure Customs doesn't catch every package with some bongs in it either. :confused_2: 

13. #13 PhillyPhlavors, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
    Can I ask your source for this info? Now I'm interested. I just checked the shipping manifest, and everything is even labeled as a vase if it even resembles a bong. I was thinking maybe that could be it.

14. UPS guy could of stolen it, wouldn't be the first time

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. I couldn't find any sources, but I am fairly sure there is 2 states with laws like this.  One I am sure is Pennsylvania.  Obviously there has to be ways around it, just need to do some research.  GC will not ship there, likely because they know that their packages will be seized and a total loss.  I would get in contact with whoever you bought it from and try and get a refund.  You are probably going to get a letter in the mail stating the customs took it.

My original source was just knowing that GC doesn't ship to PA or IA, which you can find in the shop FAQ. From there I did some Googling and it turns out that's what got Tommy Chong busted during Operation Pipe Dreams

From the Wiki: "most cases were filed in Iowa and Pennsylvania, taking advantage of the statutes prohibition on the use of "the mails or any other facility of interstate commerce to transport drug paraphernalia."

The statute they're talking about is part of US code found here: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/21/13/I/D/863

Since it's a US statute rather than a state statute, my assumption is that PA and Iowa are just the only two states strict enough to actually use that code to prosecute shippers and confiscate items shipped into their state. 

17. contact customer service and see what they can do

18. Damn, that must suck. Sorry for your loss :mellow:

19. #19 PhillyPhlavors, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
    Alright. So I called a customs and imports lawyer, and he seems to think something is off. He assumes it was taken somewhere in UPS' logistics chain with the assumption I would assume it was seized and not follow up on it. He also thinks that's why the hookah and humidor were left in the package, because something had to be delivered, and those were the least "gray market" items I had. Or else I would have had my package re-taped with the dreaded green customs tape, or would have received a letter if my package was partially delivered.

20. U say philly pa. Dude pa and Iowa have much stricter laws than any other state regarding glass or paraphernalia in general

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum