Strawberry OG Kush @ 400 Watts, recirculating DWC.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by thepurplem0nkey, Mar 13, 2014.

1. I used the rest of this harvest's frozen shake using the dry ice method. The results were again astounding. The batch I did last week is drying nicely and turning a GOLDEN brown. Here is what I made today:

Grade A (160 micron)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Grade B: (220 Micron)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also had a small jar of 5 – 7 month old shake I affectionaly referred to as “pickle weed”, because my buddy who gave it to me with the purpose of my converting it into hash had no other container…except for an old pickle jar. Unfortunately, the pickle juices weren;t cleaned out all the way and the entire shake jar smelled like PICKLES. I had it sitting in a back cabinet for the past 7 months. After I was done with this harvest's shake, I cleaned out the bucket and placed THIS pickle shake into the bags. The nice ting is this is DRY shake, so the kief it produces is ready to use as soon as you get it. I tried both grades and WOW, it's highly potent. I am also happy to report that any the pickle taste/smell is no longer present in the keif extract. Here are my results:

Grade A, 160 micron:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Grade B, 220 micron:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't have pics of it yet, but I took the entire batch of grade A pickle kief and pressed it into my twist press. I held the press over the stove for a few minutes until I heard sizzling inside, then stuck it in my freezer. My hope is I have a nice block of grade A “pickle hash” tomorrow morning. Pics will follow.
    -TPM

2. I  couldn't wait until tomorrow. I cracked open my freezer and this was the result – grade A (160 micron) pickle hash:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I took a quick slice to sample:

[​IMG]
    It is AWESOME! Sweet, creamy taste and a very strong medicinal effect. It burns slow and proper; tap it with fire and it burns like an ember. It doesn't take much either. It reminds of of the Moroccan gold hash I used to smoke. All this from “pickle weed”.
    -TPM

3. Wow, glad you tried the dry ice method.

Ill be tryin that down the road :smoke:

4. That looks better than any hash I have made, nice job mate, I shall try it your way next time for sure 

5. So I'm looking at your hash and looking at mine... I can only guess beating the hell out of it in ice and water stains it green.

Very nice.

Out of curiosity what did the dry ice run you cost wise?

6. The Letter 3: When i used MY bubble bags in the past, YES, the hash/kief would be a green clump. I spent about a buck, maybe 2 per three pound bag of dry ice. I got it from smart and final. I used a 5 gal bucket and my bubble bag. I used one three pound bag per batch (about an ounce or less). I smashed the dry ice into smaller chunks before mixing it with the herb. Then, I shook it really well for about 4 minutes straight (it's a good workout lol).

7. #167 thepurplem0nkey, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
    This is the result of the 220 “pickle hash” (B grade) shake I pressed this morning:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Seeing as this shake was a freebie gift from a friend from their previous grow, I am giving half of what I make to the kinf soul that gave me the shake to begin with (another medical user). This is what the has disc looks like cut down the center.
    [​IMG]
    It is extremely potent. I am LOVING this dry ice hash method, especially with well dried shake. I would recommend three "batches" per screen. For example, I use my 160 micron bag 3 times. So I shook it for a few minutes, scraped that up, then did the same thing two more times until I wasn't getting much more to come out. Then, I did he same for my 220 micron bag: shake for a few minutes, scrape up the result, then repeat 2X more. Because the shake/kief was super dry. I pressed it immediately in a tiny brass twist press I bought, and tightened it as tight as possible...then I rotated the press over a flame for a few minutes until I saw some smoke start to emerge from the end of he press, then stuck it in a freezer. 2 hours later: hash!

My "wet" keif from my harvest us almost dry now. Its clumped up pretty well so I may try to break it up. Then...into the press it goes!

-TPM

8. My dry ice extracted kief obtained from THIS grow log's harvest finally dried out enough to press and bake into hash. I had quite a bit more of this fresh harvest kief than what I obtained from the smaller pickle kief from a friend's grow.  SO, using about 70% of my supply, I pressed this fat block of hash. I baked it real quick over the stove when it was in the press and let it sit in the freezer all night.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I  still Have a decent amount of this grade A kief left over so I put what was left inot the press where it is sitting now, enjoying a little pressure. I'll bake it and let it sit in the freezer for a bit and get a nice flat disc.
    In the meantime, I still have a large pile of grade B (260 micron) kief ready for pressing. Pics will follow. I've never had this much concentrated medicine before!
    -TPM

9. I have never seen dry ice anywhere, what sort of shop sells it? What is it usually used for? 

10. GoldGrower, dry ice is used to keep coolers ice cold AND it's also used at parties for fog effects (when it touches water, it creates a mist). You can find dry ice at party stores. I found some at various super markets in my area as well, but I also found it at Staples, a wholesale bulk purchase store used by offices/businesses. Your best bet is to do a quick internet search for local establishments in your area that carry dry ice. It cost me about 3 bucks for 4 pounds (2 pounds per ounce). THAT SAID, I live in California: DRY ICE may be called something COMPLETELY different if you live in another state and/or country.
    -TPM

11. It's called dry ice, or frozen carbon dioxide, here but I have never seen it available for sale. We have fog machines that run off some kind of liquid, I don't know the details. We use frozen freezer packs in coolers here. I hope I can find a supplier but I don't hold much hope 

12. You may be able to get it at a butcher shop. I've seen it used to ship with meat to keep it cool.

13. I just discovered a neat trick while curing my buds. In my previous grows, I usually flavored my bud with an orange peel towards the end of its cure. This is just a personal taste thing: it does nothing to potency, all it does is add a delicious (in my opinion anyway) flavor. There's somewhat of a technique to it because if you use too large of a peel or leave the peel in for too long, it will dampen the bud too much and potentially create mold.

Anyway, I was planning on using a blueberry this time around for my flavoring (orange and lemon peels also work wonders), but an idea struck me: I am a huge fan of mint and I also love menthol joint papers. I'm growing a Swiss mint plant in my yard.....so I clipped a few mint leaves and stuck them in one of my curing jars for a few hours. Guess what? My buds are now...menthol buds! I LOVE the crisp, menthol after taste this leaves in my lungs and mouth. It was exactly what I was going for.

-TPM

14. Nomad881, I LOVE flavoring my buds with fruits and herbs. Orange is one of the easiest and best tasting, but I am now in love with this mint. It just adds that extra bit of flavor.
    -TPM

15. Funny how your buds absorb the smell of whatever they're trapped with. I ran out of jars and used a spaghetti sauce jar I had in the kitchen...Now I have a jar of oregano + basil weed, which smells and tastes just as awful as it sounds haha.

16. Hehehehehe. Yeah, I learned the hard way as well. A few years ago, I was traveling with a few buds in a plastic ziplock. I thought I'd bring some potpourri along with me to help make my car smell better. I placed both the sealed bag of medicine and the bag of potpourri into  a standard grocery bag...and when I got home and smoked my buds, they smelled--and tasted--like freaking potpourri. Blech.
    -TPM

17. TPM got any shots of the dried goods?

18. Where'd you go bro?!?!