Getting my first car... Any tips? I have a question too

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by emf3rd, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Thanks for all the quick feedback, everyone! This is fantastic and is very helpful :) I'm going to compile a list of all the good knowledge you've all brought to the table and start really looking into some of these.

Just for some more clarification though;

- I do not know how to drive a stick shift, but my dad owns a, '86 911 Carrera Porsche and said he would be glad to teach me on that (Oh boy... Don't want to fuck that baby up...) so that should widen my options a bit.

- I agree that foreign cars are the way to go. A honda or subaru sounds nice and I'm familiar with them, but there are so many options here that I'd like to dive into... So no decision has been made yet!

Again, thank you for your time. Hopefully I too can become car savvy after this little endeavor hahaha

2. If I were looking for a first car I'd look for reliability over anything else. Subarus, Toyotas, Hondas, Fords etc. they all make great cars but when you're looking for a used one it's really important to consider how the previous owner treated the vehicle. Did they keep up with regular maintenance(timing belt)? Did they keep the interior in good shape? Are the tires in good shape? I'd also consider gas mileage heavily because gas costs a lot, especially if you think about it over the life of the vehicle. You'll survive winter with just about any car and a good pair of snow tires/chains. I wouldn't buy a Subaru just because they're AWD.

3. the subaru outback is perfect for new england

4. ive had two cars and honestly i dont know anything about cars. don't let to many people smoke in there or anyone if you so desire. that's my contribution

5. my first car was a stick. i bought it for $200 and learned how to drive it in the high school parking lot. just practice going from a stop get to 2nd gear and stop again and repeat. practicing your launches is probably the most important. going from 2nd gear to the others is easy because the car is already in motion. you will need to practice feathering the clutch to accelerate from a stop in regular traffic. going from a stop to 10mph is the most important lesson. do yourself, and the world a favor and buy a manual shift.

Save The Manuals!

6. your dad must be wealthy if he doesnt mind buying a new clutch for his 911 haha

7. every man needs to know how to drive a manual. 

8. Learn how to drive manual, autos for girls and gays. Also get a Japanese or German car.

9. Get a toyota. If you want something a little more fancy buy a lexus. Standard transmission honda's are good too but i would stay away from automatic transmission honda's since honda has had a lot of problems with there automatic transmissions. Yes it would be nice owning a Mercedes or BMW but they are very expensive to repair and require a lot of upkeep. 

10. I would look into older Lexus's and acuras instead of Jonas and tyotas. Lexus is Toyota and acura is Honda. If you loom for a es300 or some acura they'll be around the same price as the camry but much nicer overall. I would recommend a ls400( one of the best made most reliable cars there is) but its rwd so it would be bad in winters

11. #31 aPersonUponaHill, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014

He would have a lot, trucks and SUVs not having 4WD? Okay...besides the fact that its just a dumb thing to not include. Maybe you dont understand the switch which goes from 4WD to 2WD Rear or 2WD Front on a Chevy.

Also I like Subarus, and japanese cars while great dont really offer 4WD unless I missed something in the last few years. 

12. Don't crash.

13. I wasn't talking about 4WD specifically, which is different.

14. honda. period. any one. most reliable car ever lol

tech on all makes for 10 yrs

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

15. [​IMG]This is what I thought of when I read your description of your dream car.

For 5g's im sure you can build something nice for you and your girlfriend.

Honestly tho. Get a used Audi. 

16. Get a used Japanese car. Toyota or Honda. Less fixing, less maintenance costs, more time for life.