Miracle grow potting mix?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by silentsmoker420, Mar 12, 2014.

1. It's about time for me to start growing and the only soil I have available is Miracle grow potting mix..will it work ok for a first small indoor grow?

Thanks

2. Its one of the worst choices in soil, but some have luck with it.

3. Greetings,
    I have been buying soil and mixes for about 2 months now trying to get the right ones. I bought 4cubit feet of the kind your talking about. Has NO water retention at all. I just had to go to town to buy 3 different kinds in hopes of making my own to re pot. Here's are two pics, the bags with the miracle  grow and then of my mix. I agree 100% with Doc-J. That brand is the WORST kind to use. Well I tried to add them here see no option. DO NOT waste your time and money on that brand.
    vendi

4. I am using Miracle Grow.  There wasn't much in the budget and the mixes at the hydro shop were too expensive.  I realize flushing will be a problem- I'm glad I only have two in MG.

5. Mine did fine. I transplanted into ffof but started with the miracle gro moisture control they did just fine. It just has pretty high bark content. Which in some cases may stunt growth as the roots have to go around them. Sometimes bark can be acidic as well. But the ph was right at 7 out of the bag. Here's is an old pic of them in the mg. Maybe not the BEST choice, but it does the job. This pic was just before transplanting (I was a little late on doing it) they were about 2 weeks old I believe

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

6. Maybe mix it with some vermiculite to help retain sone water. I didn't use it but if you're worried about it. Atleast try to not keep them in it past seedling stage

7. Sorry... last comment I swear lol. The two in the back were two weeks old. The others were only 1

8. I started with MG for my first grow ever a few years back. I think it's fine if you absolutely can't get or afford anything else but it's imperative to not leave it in the MG too long. I just had my seedlings in it a week or so until I transplanted out of the solo cups to something bigger. The main problem I had with MG was its lack of drainage. When I transplanted out of the solo cups, the bottom of the dirt balls were solid mud cakes. I even had plenty of drainage holes in the cups. It just doesn't drain well at all. It can be too hot too and burn seedlings. Thankfully I didn't have that problem, just the drainage issue. But maybe they didn't burn because I didn't leave them in there too long?

9. #9 bananamber, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
    MG is fine if you know how to use it properly. Too many beginners pick it up because it's the most widely available, not realizing it's preferted with Osmocote. They overwater, get nute burn, flush and kill their plants and blame the soil. You can flush after 2-3 months but before that, it's risky unless you flush a ton of water to dissolve and leach out all of the Osmocote. If you have drainage problems, you can always amend it too.

It's far from the best but you can go much worse.

10. #11 silentsmoker420, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
    Your plants look healthy. Unfortunately MG is the only soil I have and I can't go buy any other soil right now.. I'm going to do a bag-seed mini grow soon and I hope it will do the job.

11. Don't let people scare u away from mg .. I have heard many bad things and don't exactly promote them because they suposedly do a lot of terrible things to enviroment . I don't have much use for big money company's like them who monopolise markets .. but does miracle gro work for growing ? .. hell yeah it does it works great . I'm sure there are much better soils to use if you want to go spend the money and track them down .. but if you want to grow some weed and are at walmart and need soil .. get some . I don't grow indoors but many of the seeds and clones I grow are done in miracle grow .. shultz potting .. or somthing simular and they grow just fine . When they move to outdoors I like to use cheaper mixes such as horse manure .. sand .. compost .. vermiculite .. and usually use osmocote time release ferts mixed in . Kinda getting off subject here .. but to answer ur question YES mg will grow weed just fine .

Sent from my LG-C555 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. What I meant is I don't flower indoors but I do start my clones and seeds indoors to prepare them for spring planting

Sent from my LG-C555 using Grasscity Forum mobile app