Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do you think herb can eventually affect your appetite?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by spincut, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Hopefully you all read the subject closely, but in case there is some lingering confusion, let me elaborate.

Obviously, a highlight of smoking up is that it generally affects your apetite positively. But if you smoke a lot, and are pretty reliant on "pre-gaming" before meals, have you found that it comes to the point that you're pretty much never hungry unless you're high first?

I mean, I've always been a kind of nervous person, and especially at work, I tend to not have a strong apetite during lunch time, but I feel like over the last couple years of smoking up regularly, that my body is now almost chemically reliant on it to eat?

Again, this is all speculation, I just wanted to put it out there and ask and see if anyone else has noticed them unable to really get hungry without the stimulation from Cannabis.

2. If I smoke once a day for at least 3 days, any days after that, if Im not smoking im not very hungry unless i havent had 2 meals yet. its weird

🌞

3. Well yeah if you use it to eat (which I do for stomach problems so I don't have an appetite anyways) then your body will get used to using it to eat. The same way using it (or anything else) to sleep can make it difficult to sleep without it. After a few days without usage you should be back to normal

4. Hell yeah man. I'm always eating when I'm high and if I go on a break I eat like once a day at most.

5. #5 spincut, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014

Ok, so what I'm hearing here is it is a thing, and I'm not going nuts or anything.

And really, you guys talk about smoking for 3 "days", well I probably haven't taken a break in 3 "years". I mean, I've barely had any supply issues, I can well afford it, I have a volcano, and aside from the odd vacations or two (which generally was with my brother who brought some herb and a disposable one-hitter :p ) I've hardly missed a single day without smoking up several times by the end of it.

But hopefully that won't make a difference and I can fix myself in the same amount of quitting time (a week or less?)? I guess it's worth a shot. Taking a t-break was my original plan anyway until I stumbled onto concentrates :p . In fact, while it's mildly unnerving and unpleasant, this whole apetite issue is kind of helping me, almost like a diet. I haven't been as active recently, and a reduction in my snacking habits DUE TO weed almost seems like it's a good thing for me, but yeah, I dont like the dependence aspect of it.

On the flipside, I've always had difficulty sleeping, and while smoking up before bed has also helped me relax and make sleep come easier, I don't feel the same dependance as the apetite thing (which is why I wasnt even sure if that was the reason). I tend to go to sleep well enough without herb (or sleeping pills, thankfully), not that it doesn't help.

Hrm, guess it's just weird that one aspect possibly made my body extra dependant whereas others it handled fine.

6. I never ate breakfast as a child, I don't know if that has anything to do with me not wanting to eat in the morning. I never understood how someone could wake and be hungry.

Usually I wake up with an upset stomach daily, I will dry heave. The only thing that helps is some kind of herbal tea (ginger tea is the best) and smoking pot.

It definitely helps my appetite for the better, if I don't smoke I'll usually only eat once a day.

7. yes always. I lose so much weight when i can't smoke.

8. I love eating high, but I can still eat without it. 

9. #9 spincut, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
    You mean when you've grown accustomed to it I assume? Because according to most people so far in the topic, it fades once you stop for a few days? That is not how it is for you?

10. Yea whenever I'm sober sometimes I don't feel like eating at all when I've barely ate anything at all the whole day. Or sometimes my stomach will feel hungry and I'll take a bite or two and I'll feel sick and can't eat anymore.
    On the other hand when i'm high I eat so damn much it's disgusting. 

uh..you are wrong.
    marijuana has no physicality addictive properties in it..so it can not create a physical dependency...pot does not cause you to lose your appetite just because you stopped having the munchies when you stopped toking...

you've been told this before haven't you?

people shed hundreds of pounds from the dt's and vomiting after being forced to quit injecting marijuana fixes every day...

13. #13 Jingo Dookstain, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014

I think it's possible to some extent, but it's all purely mental.

As you know, food generally tastes better when high, so it's not totally illogical for some people to become desensitized to food while sober.

However I agree that it can't be anything to do with physical addiction. That sounds a bit far fetched.

14. hmm, for some reason just from the thread title I expected you to go the route of, "if you smoke all the time and it increases your appetite, won't you just eventually just become a psychosomatic fat-ass?"

as far as your question, I actually have started to notice that the past few months I can't eat as much without smoking a bunch before, and I always smoke after. Routine, maybe? I don't know about dependency as far as appetite goes...

15. Nope. Longest I've gone without bud in the last year or two is three weeks, and I could barely eat the entire time. It's not even that I'm not hungry if I look at food or put it in my mouth I feel like I'm going to throw up

16. So. Exactly like me!

After stopping, especially the first few days I can't put food CLOSE to me. The thought of food, or even trying to eat something is utterly disgusting.

17. It's fuckin awful ain't it. I love food, and it's the goddamn worst when even the thought of eating turns my stomach

18. Yeah, especially when you're trying to stay away from the herb you really realize how much time you spend eating when you're not heh.

19. #19 spincut, Mar 13, 2014

I'm guessing the second post was a followup to your first?

Maybe before being a smartass about anything you would be mindful to read a little closer. There's nothing for me to be "wrong" about, I was "inquiring" with people about it. I have never been "told" anything, I'm going purely on how I feel here. And if you bothered to read any of the other responses you'd see there appears to be some corroboration..

So yeah, perhaps this is just an example of you only reading a small fraction of my post/the thread, but maybe next time do that before making snarky comments?

As for the rest, thank you for said corroboration . I'm kind of bummed to hear that's a likely reason for my recent eating patterns (or lackthereof), but at least there's some sort of viable explanation behind it.

20. #20 spincut, Mar 13, 2014
    If you thought you were being funny, then you have a really poor sense of humor and comedic timing. Maybe next time think about not mixing your jokes with a serious seeming response rather than calling someone "butthurt" for how they respond.