1st time grower iPower 600w tent setup

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by DetroitStoner313, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1394738223.171363.jpg

ok there you have it the seeds are on their way :D I am very excited to start this journey to medical freedom

The bulb is roughly 18 inches away from the soil is that too far I don't want these babies to have to stretch at all or get burnt just be real nice and stress free...let me know your thoughts guys :) ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1394738364.939553.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. What setting is your ballast on? Looks like it might be on 250, If so that would be better for those little ones. Try not to get the light to close, you don't need much light with them that small. If the light is to close it will fry'em. You light bulb looks like hps? Do you have a MH, if so it would be better for this stage and veg. 

3. The light is HPS because the MH was broken on delivery and I just wanted to get ten started...once the sprout I should have a MH bulb and yes the light is on 50% right now so it isn't too hot in thee tent...any suggestions on inexpensive bulbs for veg or should I buy an expensive hortilux one?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. You can just use the bulbs you have for your first grow. There are better bulbs, but what you have will be fine for now. 

Have you thought about ventilation? Carbon filter, air scrubber? small fan to move air? You will also need something that shows temp and RH. Did you pick up a ph pen yet? A small microscope or jewelers loop at 45x or better is help full.

You should be good with 4-6 plants in that tent. Maybe veg for 4-6 weeks and do one FIM two weeks before flower. 

5. #28 DetroitStoner313, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
    I have thought about getting two 4" duct fans to move air in the tent...I saw a setup on amazon.com for a fan filter combo by the same company as my lights iPower

http://www.amazon.com/iPower-GLFANXINL6FILT6MD25C-6-Inch-25-Feet-Ducting/dp/B00DIIPTHA/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1394808285&sr=1-1&keywords=ipower

6. I don't know much about ipower. I have seen cheaper priced setups on flebay with bigger filters. It would be good to have a small fan blowing on the plants. 

7. I would use at least a 6" blower (not a booster).
    4" blowers are very inefficient and noisy. 

I also recommend using good brand name filters.
    I have tried cheap ones and you get what you pay for.
    I have bought at least 30 filters for growing, besides the ones used for my everyday business.
    If you don't care about people coming to the door, or even down the street and smelling whats growing....then go cheap.
    The better ones last longer and take out ALL the smell.
    For a your tent, more or less a 4x4 foot...you would want a 400 cfm filter and blower as a min.
    I prefer phresh filter over pretty much all others, "can" is ok...but big and heavy..plus waste a lot of poorly made carbon.

what does FIM mean?

9. OK, so it has been a pretty crazy weekend...when my first light kit came from Amazon.com the MH bulb was broken, so I sent a refund request into amazon.com and mailed the broken bulb back, the seeds were already germ'd so i just put them under the HPS bulb at 75% on the 600w ballast.....well the next day my brother calls me and says an  entire new 600w kit arrived from amazon.com...they never read my email telling them that it was only the bulb i was sending back lol....so now i have 2 600w kits.....i went and grabbed the MH bulb out of the new one and started using that one instead of the HPS....i don't wanna set up the new kit yet if they just want me to send it back later on....i 'm gonna let this play out a little and see if i can't keep them both hehe :)

well the plants all are above ground but it looked like the stems were a little weak so i dimmed the ballast to 50% and lowered the hood just above the plants  and got 2 fans blowing on them......

one never came above ground :(
    one came up then wilted and now has a burnt head..pics
    one just popped its head up but is taking an awful long time of doing it

that leaves 7

they looks pretty heathy except the stems look a little flimsy where they enter the soil...the rest of the stem is a darker color then it gets very pale and thin near the soil??? could this mean anything...maybe the light was too far and they stretched?? 

10. here are the pics of the plants under the new bulb...some plants stems that are a little funny colored, a plant with a burnt head...the new kit amazon sent me on accident :)

Attached Files:

11. I have pretfy much the same setup except my light is a cooltube and my tent is 48x48. I have 4 site and a single dwc bubble bucket. I'm running my MH bulds for veg 18" for the plant. Looking for a little stretch but not much. I'd say you would fit 4-5 mature plants in yours, I have 5 and roo. For atleast one more. Also the ipower light I've been using the same bulds mh/hps for over a year and no issue so hopefully you have the same luck.

Subbed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. So, missed you last post.

Edited

13. Nice score on the extra kit. If they don't want it back and you aren't planning on upgrading anytime soon you should think about selling it and buying some other equipment that you are going to be needing.

14. A Can-Filter 66 and a 6" Hydrofarm Active Air fan should be enough to keep the smell eliminated. Phresh is also a good brand for filters and Vortex fans are excellent. Just depends on how much you want to spend. You might be able to get away with a smaller 4" combo but the 6" will be good when you upgrade.

Also with a tent that small and space being an issue you might want to get the 6" combo. This way you can set it up outside the tent and pull air through the hood and push through the filter. Use a passive intake to get fresh air into the tent and a circulating fan to push it around.

Sorry if you don't need that advice right now but it was the first thing I could think of right now.

15. If you must pay for the second kit keep that sucker!.

The only reason I would run 600w light is in pairs. they are better than a single 1,000w by 200 watts and I could have more adjustment with canopy height issues.

Another thing is you can run 2 600w on a circuit but cant run 2 1,000w on a single 15 amp circuit.

16. that is great I'm going to look into the 6" combo on amazon right now