1st time grower iPower 600w tent setup

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by DetroitStoner313, Mar 12, 2014.

1. #1 DetroitStoner313, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
    Hello I just joined and this is my first time posting on a group grow forum :) and it is also my first "legit" grow, i have grown a few plants when i was younger outdoor with very low yield and the meds were really harsh but i do have a pretty good understanding of what is needed for the plants full life cycle and to be healthy and happy...sooo yesterday i went on amazon and bought an iPower 600w light kit  with an air-cooled hood and dimmable digital ballast (i will post pics)....i have read a lot of reviews and from what i can tell the ballast is just a quantum ballast made in china thats been rebranded and the lights may not be the best but you can pull a few full grows with them..hopefully...i bought it through amazon prime so making returns and customer service should not be an issue...i bought a 40x40x79 grow tent by Milliard off of amazon, i also bought 10 regular "trinity kush" seeds by "emerald triangle"....they will be planted in roots organic 707 formula soil....i also plan on running MH during veg and switching to the HPS bulb included in the power kit for flowering....please let me have suggestion and thoughts on the direction i should take this...i spent $200 on the light, $100 on the tent, and $75 on seeds,soil,and pots so far....i have $375 into this thing and hopefully can get a good return on my investment,i live in michigan and do not like paying the dispensaries crazy inflated prices...please help me make my own high quality medicine so i don't have to go to those guys when I'm in pain...thanks so much guys can't wait to get some good discussion going :)

trinity kush strain info: http://en.seedfinder.eu/strain-info/Trinity_Kush/Emerald_Triangle/

Attached Files:

2. a few more things i wanted to mention...im popping all ten trinity kush seeds today, the tent and lights will arrive tomorrow, about how many plants will fit in the 40x40 tent once they are mature, or could i use a SCROG or SOG to be able to have more smaller bushier plants in the tent, I'm going to start with all ten in there and if space becomes an issue i may have to buy another tent/light....?

3. Best advice I can give you is to keep it as simple as possible till you have a successful harvest or two.

4. The tent is 40inchesx40x 78tall so it's 3.25 square feet

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. #11 DetroitStoner313, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
    I'm planning on having 4 full grown plants in the tent do you think that's too much for that amount of space? I can always get another tent later

6. You mean 3.25 feet by 3.25 feet. (which is about 10 and 1/4 square feet)

If you keep them small you should have enough room for 4-8 in there depending how long you veg for.

7. Depends on so many things, but typically the longer you veg the larger the yield (and the larger the plant of course).
    But only if you have the right lighting for larger plant(s), if you cant get the light down to the lower part of the plant then it isn't worth the veg time to get it taller.

Think small shrubs...IMO that is the perfect plant for indoors. 3-4 feet tall and 3 feet wide, with foliage you cant see thru.
    Big root system usually also = large(r) yield.

8. #16 DetroitStoner313, Mar 13, 2014
    ok that sounds great i am going to VEG all 10 plants until they are big..the strain info says trinity kush has to veg for 8-9 weeks.... and then depending on how many are males will determine my need for another light/tent setup...i hope to keep this thing as cost effective as possible...any info on the iPower 600W lighting system i have coming tomorrow? i have read mixed review and am a little nervous...is there any suggestion ons cheap bulbs for vegging..i have read reviews that the MH and HPS iPower bulbs crap out after just a few weeks...one review even saying it shut off during the dark period and he had to turn it on manually every day!!!?!?!?! some ppl say they have been running these things for 2+ years

my tent and lights will be here tomorrow ill keep pics up to date on the germ'ing and when i get the tent all setup...thanks for being along for the ride guys :)

9. #19 DetroitStoner313, Mar 13, 2014
    Well I'm gonna to have ten plants but some will be male and be pulled...I have got more space if I really need it but I just wanted to use the tent as long as I can...maybe just stick with 5or6 in tent if that's enough room....also is there any info on vegging with a 600w and a T5 at the same time?

10. #20 DetroitStoner313, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
    Ok here are the pictures of the setup...I have it right by the window in case heat is a problem...if a window AC is needed I'll get one later on...trinity kush seeds are almost done germinating...not sure when to put them in solo cups ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1394736573.402771.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1394736245.220449.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1394736258.769996.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1394736276.119853.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1394736285.919676.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1394736294.153021.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1394736306.519877.jpg