Ok, I decided to go with a greenhouse this year

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by Deleted member 638051, Mar 11, 2014.

1. post some photos! That sounds amazing! Do you know if pressure treated wood is the kind of lumber I need? Is it treated in a way that prevents rot? Apparently cedar is a good one. I know nothing about wood work and construction other than my DIY projects lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Unless you live in blistering sunshine and need the shade, I would go with clear plastic.

• Like Like x 2
  3. haha you're probably right, I'm in the north west corner where it rains 3/4 the year it seems. I was just thinking maybe I could make some use out of it, if it allows enough light through. But then when thinking about the weather here, it would make more sense to go with the definite solution as 6 mil definitely works.

4. #24 snoopdog6502, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2014

I used just framing lumber and OSB and clear plastic.It should last a good long time. I need to get outside and finish it today.

I will build a much bigger one soon.

Right at $150 and some work...

gcgreenhouse9.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. That's so fucking kewl!

Do you just fold the plastic over and staple it to the wood?

If this green house does me some good, the one thing I'm gonna do next season is make a hard level floor. Maybe use some 12" pavers?
    I'd like to seal it up to help keep bugs and humidity under control.

• Like Like x 3
  6. #26 snoopdog6502, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2014

Yea wrap the frames like a Christmas present. Here is a picture from the inside.
    I made the doors large, 3 feet wide.

gcgreenhouse10.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hadn't even noticed a dedicated green house sub forum until after I bought mine. Snoop's is awesome and even yours ron is more of what I should have tried. Got a 10' x 20' x 7' which seemed perfect but the roof is at such a steep angle the side walls are only like 4' tall lol.

I saw the ventilation for yours but didn't notice any scent protection. Could have just missed it though. What, if anything, do you plan to do? I keep reading that a carbon filter won't live long even if it's mostly enclosed/kept dry without ruining airflow.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Stink is not a problem for me. At least it never has been this far. So actually I'm doing nothing about it. This is only my second year growing. I'm legal. The plants I grew in the house through the winter hardly stink at all. The ones I grew outside last year only stunk for a short time, under a full moon at 2 am. So I dunno, man. I had to chop those early because the buds were turning black.

As for ventilation, I think next time around I'm going to cut flaps and cover them with screen. I think the biggest obstacles to overcome here where I live is competing for sunlight in the fog, retaining heat, and keeping humidity down during flower. It stays cool and damp here.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Looks good man. I started up with spring production too. I'm in Monterey County. Been fucking fantastic weather. #CentralCali.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. I bought a $10 thermometer yesterday to hang in the green house. It has 2 dials. One for temp and one for humidity. I checked this morning at 5:30am, found temp was about 48f and 85%. I plan to check again at noon and sunset to get an idea of what's going on out there.

I do have a question about how to ventilate like I should without lowering temps. If I run a big fan, wouldn't that cool it off even more?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Try an extractor kit from home depot. You can find them the plumbing area or bathroom area. Should take care of you humidity problem. Fairly cheap. I bought a kit for my shower room and it was like 60 bucks total.

Shouldn't affect your temp either.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. At 8:00am the temp inside was already 80f  With the doorway flap left open, oscillating 14" fan running on high speed,  by noon, was just below 100f.
    By mid to late afternoon it has been about 110f inside. We've been having a run of pleasant weather this past 2 weeks. Only a couple days of fog and a couple more of overcast.
    I don't think just cutting holes is gonna be sufficient. I'm going to have to break down and purchase and install an exhaust fan. Just don't know if one 60 or 70 cfm will be enough. Would 2x 50 cfm's be better than one 70 cfm?
    Plants are turning yellow, looking droopy, and leaves are twisting. I am assuming this is from heat stress? Also seem to be growing slower than I expect. Day time heat and night time cold stress?

Also there is a lot of stretch in the growth of the plants. I am assuming this is the result of 6mil plastic partially blocking sunlight on the days there is good sun? Perhaps 4mil or even 3mil would work better for the top?

It's nice out today, so I moved them outside for awhile. But I need to get this greenhouse dialed in so I'm not moving plants around all the time. That's gonna be a real bitch when they get bigger.

• Like Like x 1
  13. #34 Dingus, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
    those temps are crazy! Maybe we should trade greenhouses lol. Mine actually isn't setup yet but I copied a style that should provide a lot more airflow. Maybe it can help you too. On two parallel sides of the frame I will be using mesh tarp which can allow air and some rain through. It should allow enough air that I won't even need to run any fans. Hopefully it will maintain temps I need for my climate. It would probably be great for you cuz you're reaching those super hot temps. I try my to go past 85 in my indoor.

The only downside of having mesh tarps for walls is a bit less security but I mean if a ripper came plotting to rip ya, 6 mil plastic isn't gonna stop him either..

14. Yeah, most definitely you need more airflow. Just leave them outside until you figure out your greenhouse situation. They tend to get droopy when the airflow is low and the humidity is high. Adding those high temps on top of those factors will only augment the drooping effect.

Mesh is a valuable material when you're designing any greenhouse. Provides Shade, reflects heat, maintains airflow.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hey man what part of the central coast you from? I'm from SLO! But anyways that greenhouse Idea seems like a good one I've been getting ready to build one in the backyard. Let us know how it all works out!

16. Due to wind and elements, it's only June and I'm already gonna have to replace the plastic.
    But the green house idea works out pretty well, so after this grow finishes up I'm gonna spend what I can to throw together something permanent.
    I plan to use poly carbonate panels at least for the roof, but it would be nice if I can afford the same for the sides as well. And I know I want a hard level floor. I'm thinking 12" pavers. 

• Like Like x 1
  17. You from morrow bay, Los Osos, cayucos area? Im from the cen coast too (slo)

18. :smoking: Take lovr west and drive into the fog bank. That be me. :wave:

Im legal and don't care about smell.