Head Chefs indoor and Outdoor Adventures

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Head Chef, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Oh fuck a month away?
    Hmm...

2. 4-6 weeks is considered late ? To me I would say early just my opinion
    only 3 or four I saw

3. #11363 CanadianOrganic, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
    Meh, I've heard of quite a few well-known growers pollinating plants with nanners to make fems. I wouldnt look at the offspring as totally unstable but you are correct definately not stable

4. yeah its stripper glitter too really upset

5. Bananas (“Nanners”) and Mixed Gender Buds

A cannabis plant with mixed gender buds will have sex organs that display both male and female parts on the same part of the plant.
    These plants with mixed male and female parts on the same place, referred to in botany as “bisexual” flowers.

Bananas are rarely round and they don't look like a normal pollen sac. Instead they're often elongated and yellow, giving them the nickname “banana”. They also often grow together in bunches that can look like a bunch of bananas.
    What these bananas actually are is the exposed “male” parts of the inner pollen sac, called the “stamen” which would normally be surrounded by a sac to hold all the pollen until it bursts open. If you open up a fully formed male pollen sac, you will see bananas (stamens) inside.
    When bananas appear on your plants, they don't need to “burst” in order to spread pollen, they will immediately start making pollen and often will seed the buds that are close by even if bananas are removed right away, and sometimes the pollen can drift to other plants and pollinate them as well, too.

If a female plant is allowed to go too long without being harvested or pollinated (allowed to go past the point of optimal harvest), she will sometime produce a bunch of bananas in her buds as a last-ditch attempt to self-pollinate and create seeds for the next year. This is sometimes known as “rhodelization.” This is not as destructive as other types of hermies since it only happens after plants are already past the point of optimal harvest.
    What causes it? While genetics does play a role in whether a plant is capable of producing bananas and mixed gender buds, environmental stress is often a main component in causing bananas to form. Luckily if you stick with high-quality genetics, you are unlikely to run into bananas even if you do accidentally stress your plants.
    What type of stress can trigger bananas to form?

Heat - Temps get too high - often seems to happen to the buds closest to the lights when there isn't adequate ventilation
    Light Leaks - Plants are exposed to light during their dark period in the flowering stage
    Nutrient Deficiencies & Growing Problems - Major plant problems like nutrient deficiencies, root problems, major pH fluctuations, light burn and nutrient burn can sometimes trigger bananas to start growing
    Genetics - While stress plays a big role in the formation of bananas, the tendency to form them seems to be at least partially genetic. This tendency is more pronounced when the plant creates bananas and manages to pollinate itself - these “feminized” seeds are much more likely to show the same herming traits as the mother, since both it's mother and “father” are the same plant. Growing seeds that were produced this way is naturally selecting to produce more buds that grow bananas
    What should the grower do? It is recommended that you remove plants showing bananas from your grow room or grow area immediately to prevent accidental pollination of buds. If the pollen being constantly formed in the open by bananas is allowed to make contact with your buds, those buds will stop focusing on making more buds and will turn all their “effort” into making seeds. If the plant self-pollinates, you will end up with a bunch of sub-par seeds that are likely to have the same problem.
    Advanced Only! Of the different types of “uncertain gender” cannabis plants, plants with mixed gender buds (especially hermies with bananas) are the least predictable and most likely to cause unwanted pollination. This is partially because with bananas the pollen sac doesn't need to burst to pollinate buds - it will start pollinating almost immediately. A grower who watches very closely can carefully pluck all bananas, but they are unlikely to be successful and will probabably end up with at least a few seeds. Trying to salvage a plant that has shown bananas is NOT recommended, and if you mess up or miss even one banana (which can in huge bunches appear overnight when the plant is stressed), you will accidentally pollinate your female plants, and you'll end up with seeded buds.

6. #11366 CanadianOrganic, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
    Obviously not I must've missed that. Sorry

7. I'd pluck those and keep watch. If it spits more pitch it. If not then perfect. I thought it was late in flowering....6 weeks in is totally different.
    Buddy of HH I assume....

8. Been wanting to get my hands on that for a while haha

9. I said hi today , seems to not like to talk to me idk.....

10. well idk if I will keep it . Maybe I got to see and check it out later I'm probably gonna hash iy out and throw my Bodhi in. Ps. Bohdi is holding true to all the hype

11. I havnt seen him on in a while...hope he is doing well. Ever since reading his LST guide I wanted to try the glitter lol....sticky icky!!!

12. he was on today and ignored me I felt ... any way

13. Bohdi is amazing. Watching a few blades grow them. So unique looking.

14. I got some Nepali OG x Instant Karma test seeds from bodhi. Got about four vegging now

15. nice how to be a tester .. because honestly ia. Going to be rocking all bodhi strains for along time

16. As heart breaking as it is I guess I'll just chop it down . No need to put my Bodhi In harms way

17. Here's a sac I found inside of bud pic is horrible
    Upset a bit

Attached Files:

18. I chopped It ..... :( oh well better now then seeding bodhi

19. I would do the same buddy. Sorry about your loss

20. thanks just replaced it with a bodhi