Why Are they stop/slowing down space

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by deadman1121, Mar 9, 2014.

1. I wish I could sign up for a manned flight to europa.
    But I read that article, I can't tell whether or not I should be sketched out about them being forced to check it out. Maybe they already found something and they're being forced to fuck with it.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Who knows, but of all places why there, the prospect of water alone?

And Then There Was Silence

3. Because it is not an investment. It is nessecary but definetly not an investment. What are the returns?

4. for one it would reduce lost productivity due to mental illnesses . hypothetically speaking if for every dollar the government invested   there is a 4 dollar recovery from the lost productivity . Then the rate of return would be 3 dollars.

5. Poppy cock. Show me one piece of emperical data illustrating the correlation between increased mental health treatment and productivity. I believe increased MH treatment would lead to a significant improvement in wuality of life for those affected. That increase in life quality could hypothetically lead to increased productivity but that is just speculation. If the quality of life hypothesis has any validity than it could be argued that any number of social programs, environmental initiatives, ect would achive the same desired effect.
    While i understand the reasoning behind your argument and respect your point of view, i would suggest basing such arguments on facts.

6. I am by means no expert on this topic, but I am a family support worker that works with autistic kids as a family support worker. Some of these kids are so messed up that they're dependent for life. Some can't even speak . I work with 2 brothers. one who I will call HM is 17 and really screwed with his condition. He can at most say a couple words, but his speech production and comprehension is severely impaired that he can only close ended questions and it's unreliable also , since he'll give a yes response most often , so it's not reliable at all. If I'm at McDonald and I ask him what does he want he does not have the ability to even answer that question.  Can't tie his own shoe, needs his mom to help him shit, just totally fucked. Now his younger brother, lets call him AM on the other hand , is not so bad, he can actually talk, but at the beginning of his life he was similar to his brother, regarding speech production. but in recent years he suddenly had a profound improvement in his talking ability , now they got him on intensive speech therapy , so hopefully can gain the ability to communicate more normally , so he can actually function in society.
    Now think about how much more of a burden they would be if there was no government funds to help these kid a born with abnormal cognitive faculties to help out the family to raise the child to be a functioning member of society. They'd prob just grow up as a extremely large burden on the family , and when there's no parents to take care of them they would have nowhere to go. It's a travesty that should be stopped for moral reasons as economic ones, if you help integrate a significant population to society and at least work a job and be semi-independent than completely dependent. 

7. Valid points. Thank you for a lively debate and for sticking to the point. I can respect anyones opinion when they refuse to revert to name calling ect.... Respect

8. Personally I don't see the point in a space programme. If we put our efforts into love and getting along we could achieve so much more than life on mars. Sometimes I think politicians need to take a step back and see the greater picture. I wonder what would happen if we spiked putin's tea with Lucy.

Sent

9. He would freak the hell out and probably bomb half the planet. Next stupid question not related to advancing space technology ? You know, the topic of the thread.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

10. There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. Stupid is one of those words when you say it over and over it sounds like nonsense.

Sent

Carl Sagan, the eminent popularize of science (and veteran planetary scientist), discussed this in great detail, and he largely reached a similar conclusion. He even argued that framing space exploration as the means to an end of technological egalitarianism is fraught with serious practical and ethical concerns.

Ultimately, Sagan argued to balance between traditional humanitarian concerns, and the progressive exploration of space. The benefits of one feeds into the other, and there is a certain reciprocal dynamic between these large-scale industries. The cooperation agreements necessitated by the building of the ISS represents one of the largest international cooperation agreements ever, and continues to be a boon to international diplomatic exchanges.

The next 20 years of space exploration are on track to be some of the most exciting; asteroids and Lagrangian points are now firmly within humanity's grasp.

12. Also... the internet

13. I just think it's a bit fucked up when we're spending billions on space while there are people starving.

Sent

14. #34 Sam_Spade, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014

I agree - but people don't starve due to lack of money. People starve due to preferential power structures in global food systems. That's an interesting topic in itself. The World Food Programme has actually been tremendously successful in the last few years, feeding almost 100 million people in 2012, and significantly bringing down per capita rates.

I think they can be understood to be two distinct investment in human development. If we want to find programs to eviscerate in the interest of global human equity, we don't need to reach as far as aerospace development; especially since we're considering NGOs as broadly defined.

EDIT:

Also, I want to emphasize the extraordinary value of survey and telecommunication satellites for development organizations and disaster response. There is a tangible reason that governments spend billions on these endevours.

15. How about grabbing a planet and towing back into our solar system as a spare:) 

16. Because you touch yourself at night.

17. Uhhh, let's not forget the Mars One project that is sending the first humans to land on another planet within the coming years.

18. thats a very good point, but its much easier to redirect our spending than it is to completely change the system

19. Because they can't make money on it. If you haven't noticed, if it doesn't make the gov't money, IT AIN'T HAPPENING. Look at cannabis legalization.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

20. #40 Sam_Spade, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014

Lol i dunno about how your government works, but mine isn't preoccupied with profit generation.
    And there is tons of money in cannabis taxation.