WorkingMans Redneck Paradise

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by WorkingMan, Mar 8, 2014.

1. So I made it out for a bit, I tripled the size of the holes for 4 Auto Flowers that have a prime view of the spring sun. I'll throw in some more wood ash, Pro Mix, and a hand full of lime, but no more 13-13-13. The native soil here is really something, rich, dark, full of worms.

I have to fight myself to not get carried away with the soil and start thinking about a bunch of additives. I like to make my grand parents proud, I come from a family that could grow anything, both sides. A good hole, rich soil with some peat and manure compost, some 13-13-13, and some water. Maybe a little something for the fruit later on in the season, and a side dress of the compost. Pull the weeds, kill the bugs, and get ready for harvest.

They didn't grow smoke, but Grandma delivered hooch during prohibition, when she was 8, Her husband was a dirty sheriff, and My other Grand Parents Grew everything on the farm, Mom and Dad still do, (I'm sending my 80 year old conservative father a couple seeds, he's excited)

Now my wife's garden, well it grows, but it's got weeds from hell, so I'm considering making her a raised bed and trying some of this super soil stuff in it.

Thanks for the ramble, 
    SleepingMan

2. Sounds like your doing a great job ! ... kkeep us updated with your grow I'm definatly interested and will keep my eye on this thread . Good luck buddy keep up the hard work .

Sent from my LG-C555 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I've got high hopes for your grow WM.  Ima thinking it's gonne be stellar...and entertaining too.  But a word of caution...no matter how green your thumb is, mother nature has got some nasty ass tricks up her sleeve.  Bitch fucks with me every year with something new and unexpected.  Be ready and act quickly when she comes at ya

4. #44 WorkingMan, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2014
    Amen... Ma nature, she's a tricky old gal..

And Thanks guys..

5. Made it out to the project, 3 more holes doubled/tripled in size, a wheel barrel full of wood ash dispersed, and a bale of pro mix broken up. All the holes are still open, as the more I read about these worm castings the more I think I need to go get a bag, and I didn't get any lime yet, gotta have some lime. Only 2 more holes that need opened up more..

I'd like to dig 15 more holes. I don't know that I'll need that many, but I'm sure they will get something in them if they are ready. This will be the first year the holes are ready for plants before the plants are ready for holes...

Can I get an Amen Please.... lol

6. Amen brotha ! .. lol that's awesome ! .. more holes could be good .. or could go back over the holes you have done again and make em Bigger !!! . Also be a good time to collectt some large bags of leafs / mulch for your hole which will save a lot of time watering once you do plant . Can be a pain in ass trying to mulch once it gets hot and bugs r bad

7. I never came across a hole I didn't like :ey:

This is a really good point, thanks. I've got a huge pile of last falls leaves pushed up, ready to be turned into the compost pile, I'll wheel barrel some to the spots and pile them up while it's cool. I want to cut some stakes as well, there are plenty of trees to get them from, but I'd rather have a pile sitting at the sights prior to them being needed. Cages, I need cages too, Fauk... 

I gotta go to bed.

9. Didn't get squat done today, and I had to call off work to tend to something earlier. So I'm home, gonna spend the evening on here reading, going over my seed list, a hour or so of sanding and staining in my little basement shop, smoking dope, eating pizza, and drinking root beer. Not to bad for a Poor Redneck WorkingMan.... Hell it's Friday, not smoking bowls tonight, I'm rolling joints... :)

Be back later, I need to get some groceries. I'm making Hawaiian Chicken in the Crock Pot.

WM 

10. The weather hear SUCKS!!!!!!!!!  Cold, Wind, Rain, Snow, Sleet, Snow... Rain, Snow, Wind, Snow. I've been holed up in the tinker shop all day doing some wood work.

Caffeinated Root Beer and Endless Bowls.

:bongin:  

11. I hear ya man still 4 feet of snow where I'm at . I'm just itchin to get out n get diggin holes !

damn dude thats a long ass winter. Still watching it melt over here, might actually get into the 50s this week though!

13. Woke up to Snow on the ground and Ice on the creek. And it's going to be 50 here today. But it's getting better... I hope.

14. It's Sunday Morning:

May our Family, Friends, and Ourselves be Healthy,
    Mother Nature Shine upon us, 
    Our Weather Be Perfect,
    Our Crops Bountiful, 
    And the Tax Man retire the day before he is due to checks on us.

Amen

ps,

Please let OP's spot be Tick Free this summer.

15. Sounds like your on schedule brother. 1000%. But like oldpork said, mother nature can throw some curve balls. I only have seen one year in my short amount of time growing where everyone had it great ( in my region atleast) that was 2 years ago. Watch for humidity, mold, pests ( my biggest problem then mold) and watch for nutrient deficiency. But with the autos we shouldn't have much the problems as photoperiod. That's what has turned me to them. Awesome find on the dark dirt. I already have my spots scoped out from previous years of looking with great sun and concealment where nobody traffics. Keep it up brother, your ahead of everyone I have seen. And I feel ya on the snow. I'm tired of nature not deciding to be warm or cold. But from looks of it we are about there where it's a go.

16. I made it out to the holes for a bit, emptied the wheelbarrow into the last 2 holse in the thicket,and filled it back up with ProMix and got it broken down. Fridays Payday so I'll grab a few more. I'd like 15 more holes but I don't think I can tend to that many without someone noticing, So I think I'm down to 6 more holes to dig, 4 to finish backfilling, and another 6 that can always stand to be opened up a bit. That gives me 21. Yea, I think I'm good.

I still need cages. Hmm, I think I have some fencing somewhere...

So here are a few shots of the thicket. I'll have to trim as the season goes along, but it's secure in there. 

Attached Files:

17. How much sun do you expect to get per day ? I notice there are a lot of big trees in the area have you taken into account that they may shade your locations once they are full of leaves ?

18. Many of the trees you see are dead, the Emerald Ash Borer got them. But you are right, I will have to trim as time goes on. Sun, Well I was out there in the early AM and some spots were getting it already, some a bit later. 10 hours full sun I would guess. Maybe more, not less. And them some shaded here and there. I have another spot that is full sun, and one thats a bit dark, we will see about it. then there is a spot that is in full sun right now for 4 autos, and then a spot on a hillside that is just wonderfull, full sun all day, with just a bit of shade here and there as the day goes on. The shade is provided by stuff I can thin out with little to no trouble. 

19. Sounds great ! ... keep us updated ill be following this thread as your grow continues . Did you manage to get some mulch hauled out yet ?

20. No, not sure when I will, but soon. It won't be long now, I'll be burying seeds..... :)