Making hash using vaporizied iso?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Shmockey92, Mar 8, 2014.

1. so here is a thought that i had after watching a couple bho extraction runs and having done some of my own %99 iso extractions. the idea in both is to not start solovating anything beyond almost pure cannaboids, both are extremely flammable. both have their own strenghts and weaknesses, tastes feels and smells but can produce an equal product if the process is refined enough. personally i really do like my iso through the pressure cooker to recycle have a pressure valve going through more or less fuel lines (washed/not soluable/wont leak chemicals/heat resistant) condensing into a bottle. good product and behaves like shatter and gets me as high but maybe slightly less. other side is i get 5%-15% more out of like every 2 ounces produced. so here is the question. i have a method to vaporize and pressurize (install a regulator) iso alcohol could that be sprayed through an extraction tube similar to a bho style extraction tube? im thinking that if i used a 50 micron screen at the end of the tube and let it all collect in a bottle then pour that into the pressure cooker and reduce as usual. im thinking this way you could do a quicker blow through as the heat would assist in solovating the cannaboids before the chlorophyl and other substances did, you would be able to recover your solovent have a relativly pure product and all you would have to do is turn a valve instead of pressing in the can and having your hands in/near/on/holding the flammable chemicals. ill try to do a drawing sometime soon to explain a little better than my words can. im just looking for some input into this most of us stoners are pretty clever and so im imagining that this has been thought of or discusserd before.

2. There are people on here that use a simple bike pump system to blast iso over the bud like bho. I just use forced pump filtration so achieve a similar result from pulling rather than applying pressure.

With qwiso if you use frozen material and have a quick filter none of that extra stuff is required, unless you want to recycle iso

3. ^^^ This.  When I make iso based oils I use fresh, undried, frozen bud and just give it a quick wash.  Yes, it's wasteful, but I have plenty to spare, and the end  result is about as potent as you can get.

4. #4 Shmockey92, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014
    actually after doing some searching i found an atomizer meant for solovents for mechanical or other applications all you do is fill and pressurize with a compressor. i was wondering if this might be the method that i should aim for. what would hot or atleast 140 degree atomizied iso do to frozen bud? and as to the recycling yes i would like to recycle. i compost all my used plant matter ad well as the house stuff have to save the planet little by little

5. [SUB]I saw a video on you tube that they had rigged glass tubes to act like a Buchner with a vac assist.  Poured iso into tube and it was pulled through with vac pump.  Much like blasting bho.  Final product looked awesome.[/SUB]

6. that make complete sense i wonder how small one could get filters for such a flask/funnel set

7. see i had heard about the frozen but had never looked any further. why is it the winterizing makes the best qwiso? do you decarb to activate still?

8. It pulls the inert waxes out leaving a much more pure product. You still need to decarb only if eating it... smoking does that automatically

9. No I get that once its in the solvent but y wouldn't you cure the bud first?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. #10 SIRSOG, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
    I dunno what you are talking about, cure the buds or dont, this is a process for after the extraction lol.

Ive made qwiso from fresh nugs, fresh trim, cured nugs, old nugs, old trim...

I still winterize it if the run didnt happen extremely quickly or if i feel it could be better

you asked about winterizing, not about curing, so i guess im a little confused

11. I was purely askingwhat difference is between qwiso made from frozen uncured bud and cured bud

you said winterizing in the first question, winterizing is not the process of freezing cannabis... but now i see what you mean

The difference is in the flavor, cannabinoid degradation occurs over time, fresher product seems to make a better color quality to the oil, though color can be a very irrelevant factor. It has a higher water content which when frozen causes more destruction to the plant matter making the iso more efficient for a much shorter soak without pulling chlorophyll which is going to be trapped in the frozen structure very temporarily...

There is a large difference in the oil you get from fresh vs cured/old product... the water content, im guessing, is a large factor too it. 

13. Ah ha that's what I was looking for thank you I imagine its because freezing it causes the cell walls to rupture and the waxes to solidify and slow down the soluzation (sp?) Thanks. But there I would assume since that process highly encourages one to chill the solvent first. And in the process I would like to develop would call for warm solvent to aid in its vaporizing out of the product. Hopefully leading to a more efficient process.

14. #14 SIRSOG, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014

warm iso is just going extract faster... you could do a pour run (i put the material in the strainer, over my bouchner funnel with filter and i pour the iso over so there is absolutely no soak time)

But for efficiency, iso really isnt the way to go...

When im looking to get the most out of anything i pop it in the soxhlet with hexane, then winterize afterwards as the warm hexane will pull waxes out. It can be further purified with silica gel if you want but i usually skip that as ive noticed an improved flavor usually but the high is too close to call.

Plus the soxhlet recycles some of the hexane, or can if you want it too

15. Sorry by efficiency I meant most cannaboidal extraction as possible as far as getting it to go to shatter quality I would like to achieve by a refining process. I mean I can get ok shatter from iso washed and filtered bubble hash and with a salt water wash and a freeze it nearly doubles its quality. And with is being iso aggressive as a solvent it pulls a decent smell and taste with it. Which we all like. Idk I really just want to experiment around to see what works... I'm an engineer not a biochemist though Lol

16. However (sorry can't edit from phone?) I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel just make it spin faster.... with less applied torque.

get a vac chamber if you want shatter, or pop it in your oven at the lowest possible temp for hours lol

I have no idea what you mean by a salt water wash and a freeze increasing quality... you washed hash/oil in salt water then froze it? No clue what you mean....

18. I'm sorry I tried to shortcut while typing freezing the hash/oil to solidify and remove all the waxes and other materials you don't want in ur product. Winterizing in what u guys mean not what I called it. Because bubble has a fair amount of such materials.

19. And I used a pressure cooker with a vacuum conversion

20. #20 SIRSOG, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014

I assume the salt water was the lower the temp?

Yea, i love qwiso, its where i started so i have a place in my heart for it, but all the complications of trying to make it higher quality by performing lengthy processes, i just got tired of it... moved onto time tested extraction techniques that have been used since long before hash oil was a big name lol

Im still not clear what you are trying to do though lol... you say something about vaporizing iso, then we are discussing winterizing... 

i guess im really not sure at all what you are trying to do other than use warmer iso... im super baked so maybe i just keep missing it this morning :p