High Chlorine levels in tap water

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Danerrr, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Hey blades! So I work for a pool company and I go around all day cleaning pools, or starting up new pools adding chemicals and what not

So I'm always testing pool water as well as tap water to figure out if they are on well water for misc. reasons.

Usually you'll have a chlorine level that's that's .5 ppm or less (parts per million). Which isn't really all that bad at all. And usually any chlorine reasons are from the stagnant water that was sitting in the faucet.

For the past month and a half I've seen tap water chlorine levels all around Memphis and surrounding cities to be 4ppm or greater. It's really starting to worry me because it's not safe to drink chlorine. Especially 4ppm of it. (In a pool 4ppm is the highest acceptable level of chlorine before you start getting possibilities of skin irritations.)

I'd love to see what types of chlorine levels y'all see in your tap water. For all you blades and bladies that have the abilities to test your chemicals whether you have test strips or a drop test for pools or whatever.

At first I thought they were purging the pipes because of how old Memphis plumbing is but it's been going on way too long. Usually they will use fluoride to sanitize the water in tap water anyway so I see no reason for this to be going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Just drink it. We're all going to die anyways.

3. That's like saying "shoot yourself we're gonna die anyway."

You must have health issues with that mentality.

But no. I'll be purchasing a water filter and I hope other people do too
    http://www.pure-earth.com/chlorine.html

Skim through that article if you don't know the risks of drinking chlorine.

4. Thank you for posting this, this worry me a lot are we even drinking water today?

5. Doesn't Britta filter out chlorine?

6. Who drinks tap water? I thought that was something we agreed we don't do unless filtered.

7. I know one person here who filters their tap water and theyre known as a complete nobhead for it lol

No seriously everyone drinks tap water who I know

sent from under mi sensi tree

8. That's bizarre. They're in credibly cheap to own.

Either people drink bottled water or filtered here. Filtered is much cheaper and tastes the same

9. where do you live? We get good water here in the midlands, uk. Suppose it all depends where you live I hate London water tastes vile

sent from under mi sensi tree

10. RO is the way to go

11. I work for a company that inserts the chlorine into the local water supply. It's not as bad as you think. There's been talk about us introducing vitamins into the water as well.

12. I get my water from my 330 foot deep well.....no smell or taste, just cold and wet... :yummy:

13. I wouldn't be as worried if they didn't already use fluoride to sterilize it originally. And usually when the use chlorine to clean water it's not in the inner states especially Memphis. We have artesian wells that we get our water that's pure to drink right out of the ground. (Which is why other states water tastes more man made)

Vitamins in tap would be good I'm gonna be honest though I don't like people fucking with the water before it gets to your house. I feel like it should be a new house code to have a big water filter for your whole house that you can replace the filter in kind of like the air filters in a house but of course for water.

14. A Brita water filter claims to remove 99 percent of chlorine as well as heavy metals in tap water such as lead and copper which can be caused by the household installations or old metal plumbing. The filters also eliminate fluoride.

15. #15 Danerrr, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
    It's hard to say bro.

I mean it's 2014, you'd think after having to supply people with water they'd finally switch to UV purification or something. It works for pools I don't see why it wouldn't work for tap.

In a pool, a UV purifier uses UV rays to help clean and sanitize the water. And when used on a pool you then don't have to use nearly as much chlorine. But the only reason that we still use chlorine with the UV thing is because pools
    Get sunlight which sunlight plus no chlorine = a green and nasty pool.

16. The US. The quality of municipal water is good but generally we drink filtered water

17. Interesting to see someone post this. For the longest time I have been sitting on the fence about this issue- mostly because I haven't had the time to just sit down and do the research. Looks like I'll need to do some reading.

18. I drink bottled water only, never tap. My house has some really old, nasty pipes. And you can taste the chlorine and some metals like iron.

19. Drinking bottled water is just as bad as tap. You don't know what comes in that bottle and you assume since you paid more for it, it's cleaner. Just buy a filter and save yourself some money. Plastic bottles are bad for the environment anyways.

20. You can buy an 18 litre jug, leave it exposed to air and the chlorine will evaporate over about 2 days.