California League of Cities and law enforcement propose new medical marijuana regulatory bill for CA

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by ogderp, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Thought I'd share this. The California League of Cities, a group that strongly opposes marijuana and the California police chief's association has come up with a new regulatory system. While this may sound good, trust me it could make things even worse than they are now. One of the main points of the bill is that only your primary care physician can write you a recommendation for medical marijuana from now on, and a physician can only write 100 recommendations per year and will be audited if they exceed that limit. This makes things worse because most HMO's have a strong anti cannabis policy which could prevent people from getting their medicine. And there's also the fact that most physicians are ignorant and in opposition to medical marijuana and will prescribe you dangerous and addicting prescription drugs before they'd give you a recommendation for medical marijuana since these physicians have such a close relationship with big pharma. This could cut off access to almost all patients and force them to either turn to the black market to obtain their medicine or having to grow their own at home while taking the risk of possible jail time for growing without a card. There are other regulatory measures addressed in the bill such as growers and where dispensaries can operate, but I dont want to make this any longer by going into discussion of that so I'll leave links to articles. I strongly encourage all advocates to oppose this bill and to do what we can to stop it from getting passed.

http://www.orangejuiceblog.com/2014/02/the-poison-pill-in-lous-pot-bill/

http://guardianlv.com/2014/03/marijuana-regulation-in-ca-finally-gets-go-ahead-from-law-
    enforcement/

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/m...cal-state.html

http://www.modbee.com/2014/03/04/3222332/california-cities-police-chiefs.html

2. Its all about the money from easy forfeiture.

3. Wont happen too many interests in the state enjoy the current state of affairs. Dont see it changing anytime soonman.Cali residents have spoken a longtime ago. And continue to shooting down ordinance changes left andright year after year.

4. http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/california-oversight-coming-pot-shops-22837972

I just read about the proposed regulations in the above link.

I am pretty pissed they want doctors to keep track of each patient they recommend it to AND to report why. Doctors aren't required to do that for any other substance, so why subject cannabis to this ridiculous and discriminatory practice?

It's one thing for doctors to report as an aggregate what conditions they're prescribing medical cannabis for-as maybe a way to research medical cannabis. Also, doctors would be audited if they recommend medical marijuana to more than 100 patients. Can you imagine a doctor who treats cancer patients, patients with HIV/AIDS, etc?  Oh yeah, doctors would even have to specify what strain.  :confused_2: 

I really hope that part of the bill is taken out. It's government overreach I didn't expect from California of all places.

5. I just watched it on the news. Jerry brown said it won't even go to a vote. They will just be able to wright it into law. This is all in step of legalization. Eliminate the competition before it goes into effect. People wondered what effects these fucked up legalization law would have on the rest of the nation. Well now we know. This is some BS.

6. #6 ocsurfer, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014

Since this is the first time that law enforcement interests in CA have done anything other than completely oppose regulation, it may be a good idea to work with them to amend the bill rather than flat-out oppose it. ASA and Cal NORML both seem to prefer regulation by the Department of Health (which this bill includes) over regulation by ABC (which Ammiano's bill includes).

The physician restrictions must be a non-starter though. Any negotiations on amendments must get rid of those pernicious passages of the bill.

Regulation will happen this year. The police associations and the League of Cities have sponsored this bill precisely for this reason - they narrowly defeated Ammiano's regulatory bill last year, and they know that the odds are it will pass during the next session. They introduced their bill as a last ditch effort to have their say in the regulatory process.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. I don't believe the Governor has any say on what bills the legislature votes on. A bill cannot be "written into law" without being voted on by the legislature.

This development is actually quite positive for the medical cannabis movement in CA. The fact that the police associations have given up fighting and are finally coming to the table represents the removal of the last obstacle for CA to regulate its medical cannabis industry.

I don't think the physician restrictions will make it into law. There's a good chance that they violate the spirit of Prop 215, and could be subjected to legal challenges if they are approved.

7. It is what happend in co. The people voted for a tax and then the government came I and decided to make the tax rate 30%.
    This really had me nervous. Jerry brown said there are enough D in Sac that support it that I would not even go to a vote. I will try to find the link of the clip.

I'm not saying there aren't greedy politicians and private interest groups... But the gov did not decide the tax rate, the people did.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_24461038/colorado-voters-decide-how-heavily-tax-marijuana-sales
    http://www.summitdaily.com/news/crime/8782902-113/marijuana-tax-taxes-pot

It's not accurate to imply that the government jumped in and forced its will over the people in CO. The residents voted for/against the 15% excise and 10% sales tax, in addition to the 2.9% tax that would be in place for regulation.

I personally would prefer to see it lower, more like alcohol. But don't spread misinformation about what happened in CO - the majority vote got the taxes they wanted. It was not forcefully set by the government.

9. Paired with Obamacare that only allows you to see certain doctors....Goodbye MMJ.

10. The best part of it all. It says a primary care dr can not write scripts for mmj becuse it's a schedule 1 drug still. It's says it clear in the bill. So how are we supposed to get a script then. You can't. Hmm

11. They are now government doctors, since they essentially employees of the government, doctor patient confidentiality is out the window.

12. With Jerry Brown being against legal cannabis and tight restrictions on MMJ, sounds like a lot more people will become growers.

13. Yeah. He is adamantly against legal mj along with every thing else in this state.

14. #14 ocsurfer, Mar 11, 2014
    I don't know why Obamacare and "physicians can't write prescriptions for schedule I drugs" are being discussed in this thread. They have nothing to do with SB1262. Neither does Governor Brown's stance on legalization.

The physician restrictions in the bill are very similar to those found in other MMJ bills/laws in other states. They are unacceptable IMO, but have nothing to do with "government doctors" or "prescriptions".

WHERE?????

16. #16 lilro, Mar 11, 2014
    The actual bill for all to read: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml;jsessionid=27eb9231b42963f87dc1a5048883

OCSurfer:

And
    Along with the Controlled Substances Act
    Does anyone know what this means?

I also found these nuggets:

No more BHO. And how many "bona-fide" doctors know the difference between OG Kush and Hindu Kush?

Lock your weed (or ashes? what do they mean "finished" weed) in a safe ROFL.

17. What do you mean. In the new bill it is saying there will be no more pot drs. You will have to get your script from your primary physician. On the 4th page of prop 215 it says primary physicians can not write prescriptions for a schedule 1 drug. So where am I suppose to get my script.

18. Shit i got a huge safe have all my meds locked up. We should start the California League of Cannabis Cultivators. We need a voice too lets go! :-D

19. #20 ocsurfer, Mar 11, 2014

Thanks, I have read the bill a number of times.

Sgtstadanko707 said "The best part of it all. It says a primary care dr can not write scripts for mmj becuse it's a schedule 1 drug still. It's says it clear in the bill."

It simply does not state that anywhere in the bill. This is misinformation.

Physicians have never been able to write prescriptions for Schedule I drugs. This bill doesn't change that. In fact, this bill says that your primary care physician must write your recommendation. This is a very different meaning than what was written by <span style="background-color:rgb(242,242,242);color:rgb(83,83,83);font-family:arial, tahoma, helvetica, sans-serif;font-weight:bold;">Sgtstadanko707.</span>

Edit: the bill also allows your primary care physician to refer you to another physician to write your recommendation.