Xils LED PC box

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by xilw3r, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Hey man, it's been 5 days. How are your ladies doing? I've finished my panel, I may start a thread on the whole concept next week... In the gardening section hehehe!

Post the update already, I find this particular stage in development very interesting when it comes to led lighting.

2. #22 xilw3r, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
    yea, sorry, i got a bit lazy i suppose. But thats only because in my eyes they are not growing that much at all. They are still smaller than my hand (palm) :)  And btw, i have no idea if they are girls yet.

So its 18/16 days above perlite for the plants now. 
    Ive determined that half of the smell from the box is comming from the perlite, maybe salt build up, will flush today, just for the sake of it.

I am upping nutes very slowly, they are still at ~1/2 strength, maybe a tad more. I wonder if i can survive without cal-mag. My tap water is quite hard, but i think i might get magnesium troubles later. Of course there is no such thing as cal-mag where i live, so i will buy some magnesium salts separately most likely. As calcium should (hopefully) be provided by the hard tap water.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and i moved the pot closer to the lights, about 15 cm distance (thats 6 inches for the imperialists), cant move closer as the light leaving the lenses will not fully blend and cover the whole plant. Damn chinese got me 30 deg lenses instead of 60. And the temp is getting into 27 deg there so there is also that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I noticed a problem with the light during off time on the timer yesterday night. The light was still on. Not bright, like... idk, a very burnt out led flashlight, but i clearly saw the circles left by the leds with lenses in the perlite. And even more fun, when i touched the box (metal parts of it) the lights became brighter lol,

This leads the idea that i need to ground my lights. That and also that the timer is obviously not that great as i suspect that the changing magnetic field from the wires inside is enough to induce a current to the drivers which lights up the leds. Meaning the actual switch mechanism is creating a very small distance between wires when turning off the power. So yea... still not too sure if i should blame the chinese driver for this, not fully at least.

How much light during the night cycle is bad enough to cause problems? like stress/ hermies and so on

3. girls are looking good, Not sure about how much light leaking will stress a plant though. I have to check my girl now when lights go off to make sure i don't have this problem. I remember reading a few threads where this problem occurred with led panels

4. Its realy strange, i checked the other driver, a meanwell, so a respectable company, and it does the same thing, only less bright. Guess its not the driver. But it gets better, i unplugged the driver completely and it STILL lit up the lights if i touched the end of the plug, didnt even need to touch both ends, just one will do it. Conclusion- i hold a charge ? And i tried to connect housing of the driver to the ground connection in the wall socket (bypassing the timer even) and guess what, the lights got brighter. So yea, im out of ideas atm.

5. sorry to hear that brother, i just checked mine and the panel is fine. Do you see this light hours after the box is off? Or is it like within the 1st hour of being off?

6. its not residual current, happens through the full off cycle.

The only plus is that its very dim, i mean in reality there is no situation where not a single photon hits the plants during the night. And they dont mind. Maybe mine will not mind either :D i will take off the lenses before the off cycle to further disperse the light and look for a new timer.

7. #27 xilw3r, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2014
    Update, 3 weeks old

Doing averave id say, note to self, fill the pot with perlite to the top next time. I think the plants got stunted due to little space for roots as i think they pretty much stopped growing. In my eyes at least.

Some lower leaves started yellowing, they don't get much light, leds do not penetrate well.

Upped the nutes a bit, no burn. Or maybe just lame polish nutes.

I see preflowers on the big one but they are too small to make concrete conclusions. Though i think it might be a male. Will see.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Edit: I need to start thinking about transplanting one of the two (maybe) females in to the empty side. it sucks to think that i'd have to remove my lil nice plant. Oh and i will probably want to cover up that ventilator with a grill somewhere along the way.

Think transplanting at 3 weeks is even an option ? they could be so damn root bound in there, will see if they even stay alive long enough to show sex lol (no preflowers visible yet). Or maybe they are some awesome plants since they probably are close to being genetic clones and stuff, maybe they will grow one into another :D oh man im so high right now

yeah well. what ever this becomes, i've got plenty of seeds left. might try a super micro sog or something. you know, just buds on sticks kinda thing. like i said.

8. looks good hopefully you don't have a male. Is your lighting on 12/12 already if not you won't have preflowers this early. I seen solo cups with hempy method go the whole way with no root trouble not sure if this is similar. Your growing hydro correct? Im medicated so im a little unsure at the moment lol. None the less they all 3 look very good and are loving what you are doing. Bless!

9. For the last time, my plants are autos :D

Well yes, hempy is considered hydro (passive to be exact), as all the food comes through watering.
    Yea so now im 90% sure the big beautiful is a male, i see the preflowers are on short stem sort of things. Sad, 3 weeks wasted. Oh well, i guess i can turn this into a perpetual now.

10. #30 xilw3r, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
    big beautiful is a male. quite sad, so many side branches coming, a vigorous plant, although quite small.

Also saw the first pistil of the middle plant, the runt is not showing anything yet.

Got a new seed germinating, i dont think i will transplant anything here, see how it plays out with 2 plants in 1 pot.

I also got to see the potential lst capabilities of this pot. I can make any zig zag shaped wire and put it up where needed to guide the plant. its like a scrog being built around the plant as it goes :D

11. #31 xilw3r, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
    Update, so i pulled the male, looks so empty now.

It is soon 1 month from seed.

To be honest im loosing hope in this grow. Have you ever seen plants this small after 30 days ? I mean they make my mid tower pc case look hella spacious lol :D Maybe they are so tiny because they came from a single seed or got stunted for some reason ?

and i also think these could be semi autoflowers (show the sex under any lighting but do not flower without 12/12). As i did some digging and all autos show visible chunks of flower by this time already.

its been like 2 days since i saw the first pistil on both the little ones and no visible change is happening. These genetics could be total whack here, I saw these guys grow under 400W hps and they were still not more than 40cm in height, no training or anything.

[​IMG]

On the plus side i found a way to ground the light, the diodes are still barely visible in total darkness, but i wold not even call the thing they give off "light" anymore. Many times better than before.

Also got 2 more beans of the same type going, root is breaking out atm. Maybe i should go with a photoperiod bagseed? or make like 4-6 plant sog on the empty side ? just for shits and giggles. Or i can start a white widow seed factory going here. Man im kinda lost now. Either the light sucks or the genetics suck or the plants suck cuz i stunted them... somehow. Or maybe its the nutes? but they dont seem to be starving..

Atleast i did not have any huge problems during this first grow experience..yet. they grew nice and healthy. just so fricken small. Maybe this will change. If nothing goes on for the next few days i will probably change to 12/12.

talkin to myself like what the f...

12. Update, if anyone cares :D

28 days since breaking ground
    the following pics are meant to show difference in height after 1 day

yesterday
    [​IMG]
    today
    [​IMG]

A general shot, both of the other 2 seeds popped up today, had trouble loosing seed shells, so i helped out a bit. Will train the two new ones to grow horizontaly towards the center of the pot
    [​IMG]

Some damage on one of the leaves, nute burn I guess ? I have no clue what though, magnesium is a guess, but only 1 leave is showing it. Will wait and see, maybe will do a flush just in case.
    [​IMG]

13. Looking really good bro  yeah defintly wait to see if any other leafs show signs of definicy or nute burn,  otherwise your looking good , seems like those leds are working really nice for you  :smoke:  :smoke:  :smoke: 

remember Stay High  :smoke:  :smoke:

14. Subscribed looking forward to your end product :smoke:  :smoke:  :smoke:  :smoke:  :smoke: 

L8r :bolt:  :bolt:  :bolt:

15. It's coming along, just a slow starter. You got decent air moving in there?

16. do i have decent air flow are you talking about my grow ? 
    yeah forsure defintly get her growing with some juice (nutes) not actualy juice that would be fucking retard LOL 

L8r :bolt:  :bolt:  :bolt:

17. your humidity seems really high tho ? any thoughts :smoke:  :smoke:  :smoke:

18. No, sorry, question was for XIL

Hey bud, your girl seems to be growing beautifully! Make sure she doesn't get any of the green stuff on her roots, you could possibly cover the top of the pot with some mylar or something, so that the algae stop growing on the top.  Maybe if it happens again you could do what the hydro folks do, take her out and drip some hydrogen peroxide over the roots?

Either way the look good now. Did you do any troubleshooting or did she pick up by herself?

I've done the panels I was telling you about btw, got some peppers doing ok under them. Got a bit of a low temperature in the room, guess I gotta water them less often. I'm thinking of starting a journal in the veggies forum heheh.

20. damn, comment attack :D

@HBFun, The airflow is there, but its not windy so to say, the plants are barely moving from it.

@[member="krispy"], the humidity is high at the surface of the perlite, since the water evaporates from the bottom, its like having 1 big dish of water in your grow room, as you go up, it goes to~45-50% at mid plant level

Day 32 for the ladies,
    [​IMG]

they are stretching, and i was surprised that the runt has outgrown the center plant in height, it was always the smaller one.. (fan is 80mm for refrence)
    [​IMG]

I left them for 2 days, put them under some lst with bent wire, but the suckers just popped the constraints right out like they were nothing, I underestimated the plants strength.

I tried leaf tucking but they come right back up after a few hours... which sucks major ass, as i want to promote branch growth, there are quite a few of them, only they are buried under the big ass fan leafs, and i dont want to defoilate. i will tie down some fan leaves as well as the stems when i get the chance, but its like a jungle in there.

I flushed the plants before leaving (but did not ph the water.. my bad), after i was back they looked perky, but a lot of the leaf tips got burnt, which is weird since i did not give them nutes after flushing. After coming back i watered with plain phed water, burn does not get worse, but still appears on new growth.

I read that some people determined this tip burn to be a cal mag lockout (please dear god, no..) due to small containers and roots getting bound up a lot. I GREATLY appreciate any input on this.
    [​IMG]

Day 4 above perlite for the wee ones, one wilted to the side for some reason. But they seem fine otherwire, put some paper over the perlite as i saw strangely big amounts of the damn algae, it did not appear until the first plants were 2,5 weeks old, and it is dead on the jungle side lol.
    [​IMG]