What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by aceburn, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Hey there fellow blades.

I was wondering about my daily work-routine today while smoking a blunt and thought it would be great to have a thread like that. What is your daily routine? What do you do when you get to your job?

Describe your everyday chores as well as you can, Crazy retail stories are also welcome :smoke: 

For me it's waking up at 6 AM to get ready and drive to my little 6 story corporate building for about 20 minutes. I'm there at 7 and I spend the next two hours sipping coffee and talking to the people who come in, since I work with about 20 other people in an open-space office. I then proceed to register some documents in the company's system, write a couple of emails, sometimes print some pointless stuff. At 1 PM usually all my work is done so I get to sit on 9gag and GC for the rest of the day sometimes replying to an e-mail or two. It's a chill job with nice people, paid ok'ish I guess...

What about you guys? What do you do for a living?

2. Up until 2 months ago I used to work from home. I was a software developer, and Internet Marketer. Working from home was great, but my day was always different. Some days I'd sleep at 6am, and wake up at 3pm. Other times I'd stay awake 48 hours, and then sleep for an entire day. All depends on how busy I am.

But, I stockpiled some cash to live on for the next few years, decided to quit what I was doing and focus on my passion, which is music production. So now I sleep at about 1am, wake up at 8am. I'll head downstairs to the piano, do some practice for a few hours. I'll read some books on music theory, more practice. Maybe work on a track. At about 4pm I'll usually head over to the decks and have a mix for a few hours. Currently I'm in full learning mode, taking music theory as far as I can. Counterpoints are doing my head in at the moment.

I plan on learning some classical pieces over the next few months.

People call me stupid. Ditching a well paid income for no income at all. But, I had Cancer last year, and I decided I will devote the new year to achieving what I want to achieve in music. Money doesn't really interest me no more. My previous lifestyle meant I hardly got any time to practice music, which really got me down at times.

So, yeah that's me.

3. Right on, man! Money is the greatest lie ever told to humanity.

4. I don't start til we lose some of this god forsaken snow. But I'll be with the dnr, gettin up at 6am, stopping at the office to grab a company truck, and then just cruisin the woods 8 hours a day, clearing orv trails with a chainsaw and lookin out for violators. Chill ass job. Could also be a loch operator or park ranger but I'll likely remain on trail patrol.

5. Park ranger sounds amazing.

Sent from a potato.

6. Busting kids smoking blunts "hand over the reefer son"

Sent from a potato.

7. OP has a dream job. Do you get drug tested?

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. No, and I actually work with my dealer haha, I get great deals :) plus there's like 3 people who smoke daily like me so yeah, a dream job :)

Sent from a potato.

9. I'm an engineer, I build,fix or repair robots.  Fix or build most anything.

10. I mix baking soda with another white powder for profit.

jk freelance webdev/bitcoin trader

11. I goto school, an snowboard on the weekends.
    My lifes boring accept when im snowboarding

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Well my day starts off at 3am when. My buzzer goes off. I get out of bed quickly and get dressed. I have a cup of coffee and Im out by 3:25. I get in my car and smoke a cigarette as I drive to work. (I work at ups) I arrive, clock in, and start my workday. Halfway through work we get a 10 minute break so I normally just use those 10 minutes to chill out or have a snack. After that I continue working for another two hours or so. I clock off At around 8:30 to 9am so I just drive back home. Once I get home I either take a nap for a few hours or just relax and watch TV, then I get leave again. At around 11:30 to my other job ( fast food) I get there and I literally just wait till 9pm so I can go home. After that I go home, shower, watch TV for a bit or go online, get my stuff ready for the next day, and go to bed. The. Do it all over the next day. Except on the weekends Im off.

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk

13. #13 KeeponSmiling, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
     Glassblowing artist, furnace not torch work... Professional poker player. 

14. #14 Sunny Jim, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
    Currently, I'm part timing it as a produce delivery driver. I get up at fourish, and drive a van around town delivering a variety of fruits and vegetables to local, small businesses. I'm salaried, so I can usually get done with my stops within two and a half, to three hours of the theoretical four, to five hours that my boss thinks it takes to do my job on a daily basis...If everything goes smoothly, I don't see my boss or my coworkers at all, which is how I like it. I'm usually done by seven or eight, so I either go back to sleep or start smoking. 

Starting this spring, I'm going back to doing contract trail maintenance for the Forestry Service/Vermont Fish and Wildlife. It's gonna be a pay BUMP, so hopefully I can go back to living in my own place. 

UPDATE: My forestry boss emailed me this morning, and apparently they're opening several alpine/wood trails for late season snowmobiling so they offered me a position on the trail crew. Starting tomorrow, I'll be out in the woods on a snowmobile with my husqvarna 435 clearing deadfall...And the pay will be $25/hr!

15. #15 BudzMcCool, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
    Wake up at 5am drive 40 minutes north to work. After that I usually go to the break room and have myself a coffee and a granola bar. After that I press metal into a bigger peice of metal until the stack is gone. I then proceed to joke around with my Co worker who is 65. Then comes lunch and 2 more hours of machining until 2 30 and then it's off to smoke pot... I made a conscious decision to not smoke before work seeing as I work in a building with conservative Republicans and also if I make a mistake I could possibly press a finger into a half inch steel bar....which I try to avoid... Pay is meh

It's really not that bad

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. I'm a paramedic. Go into work at seven, inventory supplies and make sure everything on the truck is in working order, wash it, then kick back and wait for the shit to hit the fan.

17. #17 nascarfan, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
    Saturday. Alarm goes off at 6, derp around in bed and finally get my ass up at 6:30. Get dressed, do all my morning shenanigans, refill my coffee cup and out the door by 6:45. Drive to a neighboring town, arrive at work around 7. Open the restaurant, lock myself in. Look for any general fuckery from the previous night shift that may need my attention. Go sit in the back office drinking my coffee, do any sort of general office work that needs my attention, check the totals from the day before, and the drop reports, and bask in the peacefulness that is my lack of derpy employees until it's time for me to clock in. Clock in at 7:30, set up the hot line, start cooking all the meats and slow cook items. Set up the soda machines, start the coffee maker (which is what it is technically, but we use ours to make tea), set up all the cook to order cooking equipment. Set up my dish sink. Turn heat lamp on and assemble "dry" and "wet" hot line foods. Finish meat cooking procedures and clean up. Toss all dirty dishes in the sink. 9am, set up cash drawers, unlock front door. Drag garbage can out, put down lobby mats, do anything left I see that needs done. 9:30 half hour break. Cashier arrives at 10, when we open for business. Help finish all other prep and dishes by 11:30. Lunch rush at noon. Make food, restock hot line. Cook more food as needed. Act as second cashier and trouble shoot registers. 3pm do lunch drop. Derp around doing whatever. Cooking, cleaning, prep. Any little projects I have. Leave at 4pm.

Sundays, same as Saturdays, but working hours are 8-4:30. Compact the point of sale database.

Mondays same as Saturdays, but I fill out and place mass quantities of various vendor orders.

Tuesdays. Wake up whenever I wake up. Internet for a while. Food. Coffee. Leave for work around noon. Arrive at work 12:15-12:30. Observe any general fuckery from the morning shift and prepare to deal with it. Check the totals from the previous night, and the drop reports. Check into current sales for the day and derp around in the office. Clock in at 1. Check over small truck delivery (Tues/Th). Opener does drop. Prep. Dishes. Cooking. Closing cashier arrives at 3 or 4. They take over the prep and dishes if there are any left. Pull up safe step rubber mats. Sweep and mop kitchen and floor. Cashier may also do this depending on what else they have to do. Work on any special projects or non frequent cleaning/maintenance chores that need done. Dinner rush. Myself or the cashier cleans the lobby after shutting it down, depending on if they've got any prep left, or what the dish area looks like. Finish off the drive through hours. Then everything else I do on Saturdays, but in reverse.

Wednesdays. Like Tuesdays, but I have to check over the big truck delivery. Also known as the truck of doom. Our representative is a dumb ass and something is always fucked up. Call the owner or the GM about the delivery shenanigans. Sometimes this happens as I walk in from an early morning delivery I wasn't around for. Sometimes it happens during my shift....usually the dinner rush. They're inconsistent. Make the second order of the week for the small delivery Th.

Th, F. Fuck it, I do what I want. Days off. Usually. But my phone's always on, so my staff (mainly the shift managers under me) can call me with dumb questions and no brainer trouble shooting. For some reason my staff has pretty much no problem solving ability what so ever. Luckily, this has eased up quite a bit since we acquired a new GM (we were without one for a while; I was the best they had unless they manned up and called the owner....they never did. Love the GM. The GM makes my life bearable). There was a point where I was getting at least 5 calls a day, and typically would spend at least an hour in the shop, even on my "days off."

1st of the month.Opening shift for Inventory. The first of the month overrides any of my typical schedule. If it's a T or W. I open instead of close that day. If it's a Th or F I'm working instead of off.

A week before the 1st or the 16th, whatever day of the week that happens to be, I begin to write the new schedule. Usually done the same day. Sometimes it get's freight-trained to the next day. Present the schedule to the GM to look over and it's generally posted at least 4 days in advance.

And all the while, any time I'm in the shop, I'm generally dealing with shenanigans, tomfoolery, and general dumbassery, usually from my own staff. Observe and make snap assessments of any applicants (when we're accepting), and either throw them away, or file them for the GM to look over and pool from to hire. Post notices. Take complaints (customer and staff). Correct behavior. Sometimes I have to do write ups, but not very often. Praise hard work. Write up and present any ideas to the GM regarding how to make things better, fix problems, etc. Whatever. General boss shit.

Being middle management in food service sucks. Especially for a very small local chain. I get the job, but not the title. I'm called an assistant manager. I function more like a store manager *facepalm*.

18. I vinyl wrap cars for a living, starting college in the next month er two. Great pay for a youngin. Some days I make a few thousand dollars in a few hours, other days I don't have any work.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. I work in a video game store part time, I'm a full time student.

20. I'm working as an electrician in a manufacturing facility, we are a contract based company that specializes in control centres for manufacturing plants.