your opinion of hunting

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by CaliforniaKushes, Mar 1, 2014.

1. #1 CaliforniaKushes, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
    I grew up with 2 uncles who I were pretty close with. They would hunt fairly often for food, whether it be fish or deer. I found it kind of sad when I was younger, but see the purpose of it. Then I have "friends" (I stay the fuck away from them now) who just enjoy killing shit. They'll just go out and shoot at birds and rabbits with no intention of using them for anything. They just do it for the power trip. I just get frustrated when people praise someone for being a great hunter, when all they're really doing is shooting a defenseless and clueless animal with no defense mechanisms. I think an actual hunter would get a 9mm and shoot a charging Grizzly Bear. That's skill. I just think killing innocent animals for no real purpose or even for purpose isnt something that should be praised. Anyone want to weigh in?

2. #2 BugPoop, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
    That would be a horrible idea to shoot a bear with a 9mm. With that being said, there's a right way and an ILLEGAL way to hunt. I hunt, and I eat everything I harvest. You can be a good hunter AND an animal lover. Contrary to popular belief. And you can definitely be a shitty hunter lol, making it necessary to " praise " a good hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Weed

3. I was joking about going after a bear with a 9. That would make a great hunter if he didnt get mauled. Defining moment. I see what you mean though. I think more of small game instead of deer n shit, deer n shit are useful to hunt. These kids dont eat rabbits or fuckin crows, that's what annoys me

4. I don't give two shits about game laws or legality but I do hunt ethically. I would never shoot at a grizzly with a 9mm cause that is not only stupid but most likely will only injure and piss off the poor beast. I do like to eat anything I kill. I'm not at all about killing and leaving animals.

5. i personally wouldn't do it just because i couldn't kill an animal. but if you hunt for food i don't think theres anything wrong with that.

6. Beats buying meat from the grocery store.

7. It can get super boring because you have to be quiet as hell, and some days you will sit doing nothing for hours but being super alert which can get really tiring after a while. But boy does it pay off when you finally get to shoot as something.

8. It depends

If we are talking about english poachers hunting a black rhino with a .700 nitro express, theres really no skill involved and its just about the power trip and making money, which is pathetic 

If we're talking about a couple guys shooting at turkey or deer, as long as they kill it humanely, I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as your hunting an animal thats abundant and you actually eat it thats fine by me.

9. I hunted for years, deer elk. just for meat.

Now I'm older and crippled up I hunt with a camera and If I want a bunch of meat I can buy a free range steer or hog and have it butchered.

I do want to deer , elk and bear hunt one last time before I get to old and want to do it with a bow. Out west tree stands are not the way, its a stalk to creep up on them. Not just sit.

Fishing? that I will do till I die, fuck it..... I want to die on a boat and be buried at sea.

10. If you're going to hunt, use every part of the animal. Get the antlers carved into beautiful jewelry. Make a cool deer hide blanket or fireplace rug. Preserve and enjoy that meat. 

11. In more ways than one...
    Not only does it tend to be leaner and tastyer..... it comes with no hormones or preservative......

12. As long as you hunt for food and don't waste it then  nothing wrong with it!!!  Just for the fun of the KILL HELL NO!!

13. Deer hunting is a way of life for me. I have a pack of hounds that I run for deer and they're my little babies. I pay thousands of dollars a year for dog food, veterinarian bills, everything else. I live to hear them hit a hot track on a cold fall morning. When I, or anybody in my club kills a deer, we all feel like we play a part in it.

I also still hunt during the week (tree stand hunting), and I love it as well. We eat a lot of deer meat every year, so me and my dad both try to kill at least 4 or 5 deer every year. I love to hunt, I love to watch animals, I love to hear my dogs run, I love just sittin in the woods watchin the sun go up or down. It's an experience that you truly won't understand or appreciate until you've done it. 

14. I was waitin for you, scout.

Sent from my iPhone using Weed

15. Growing up in Texas, hunting is something everyone and their grandma does down here. I was thirteen the first time I got a Remington, Santa brought it lol. Whitetail, Dove, Duck, Turkey, Hogs. I enjoy all of it thoroughly. Without Hog hunting and Deer season, our state would practically be over run. I've seen hogs ruin entire crops from rooting and rolling. At least this way the population is controlled in the most humane way possible.

"Picture you and me in a cabin by the sea, sit up on the porch and we can burn a couple trees."

16. Huntin in Texas is awesome haha. My cousin used to live near Austin and I went up there to hunt for a few days a few years ago. Didn't even try to keep count on how many deer I saw, I just know it was a shit load. I saw a buck the first night I was there that I couldn't get a shot on and spent my few days trying to kill him. He was a monster. I saw a ton of other bucks and killed a few does while I was there. This was a free range hunt, I'm not a fan at all of the high fence hunting.

17. My uncle owns some property about three hours Noth East of Houston, and we pretty much do all the deer hunting we need right there. 175 acres of rolling hills, deep brush, and three ponds. There have certainly been some beast taken down up there. Waco's good hunting too, thicker bodies, pretty deer.

I enjoy getting up in the deer stand early in the morning, not knowing if I'll even see an animal worth taken down. It's all part of the hunt, and high fence isn't how it should be done.

"Picture you and me in a cabin by the sea, sit up on the porch and we can burn a couple trees."

18. I come from a Cherokee blood line so I was taught it's only right to kill an animal if you're going to eat it ,give thanks to the animal ,and use every part of it's body. Hunting for sport is disgusting.

19. Hunting for food is a lot more humane than buying meat from a grocery store, when you put a little thought into it.

I do hunt a lot of turkey and deer hunting, as well as ducks, rabbits (I do eat them), and squirrels, AKA "small game" ;) I've never hunted boars, though I'd be willing to give it a try. I've been hunting since I was a kid, and since I have no plans to stop eating, I don't have any plans to stop hunting.

Fishing is still my favorite though. Love doing it, and reaping the rewards :smoke: I've gotten a hell of a lot of meals out of the creeks and lakes around here.