Russia invading Ukraine, currently holds Crimea

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Vicious, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Lithuanians are scared -

\n

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26724081

2. What up? Nothing going on in this thread any more, as I had hoped it wouldn't happen. 

Anyhow, there was a unusually open minded report on german state television a couple days ago about the snipers at maidan etc.

There were still "crime scene investigators" running around while their head of department declared all shooting was ordered by Janukowitsch when the investigations is still not done - the hell?

A doctor who did surgery on both parties said they had the same type of round in them - the hell?

An ukrainian citizen had recorded radio conversations between maidan police force asking "who is still shooting?! where are the shots coming from?" - the hell?

Lasers put through holes from shots in the trees pointed directly to Hotel Ukraina windows (residence of opposition during the maidan battle).

I say this shit doesn't add up and the way the new government is treating the whole thing makes them at least as crooked as Janukowitsch!

3. That's pretty old news but it that is pretty open minded for regular TV.

Shit's starting up again.

Ukraine defence ministry confirms that six armoured personnel carriers seized by pro-Russian forces on Wednesday.
    by Jack Stubbs (Reuters)

max seddon @maxseddon
    Utterly bizarre scenes just now in Slavyansk. About 40 Ukrainian troops who said they hadn't defected were loaded onto buses and left town.

max seddon @maxseddon
    The Ukrainians were unarmed and under guard of the Slavyansk militia, who said they'd been "given" the guns. The army guys didn't look happy

KRAMATORSK/SLAVIANSK, Ukraine - Pro-Russian separatists hoisted the Russian flag on Ukrainian army armoured vehicles in eastern Ukraine on Wednesday, mocking the pro-Western Kiev government's attempt to reassert control on the eve of crucial talks in Geneva on the country's future.

I wonder if Russia will step in to remain order if it comes to a civil war or they will wait for another addendum.

4. #384 Deleted member 472633, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    I read a recent article on Der Speigel that Germans identify with Russians and feel as if they are their cousins. Anybody from Germany on here? Is there pro Russian sentiment in Germany? I've always wanted to visit, part of my ancestry is German but my German ancestors came to America in the 1760s so any family ties are long gone. 

5. A very, very large majority of the Crimean people want to be part of Russia...DEAL WITH IT PEOPLE.

So is democracy wrong when it does something you don't like?

If other places wanted to be parts of other countries, why shouldn't they?

6. Some really incredible points made in this roundtable discussion:

http://youtu.be/OBLkd2Fp0fc

7. Skip to 5 mintues...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvH73m_XGn0

That's very interesting. Do you still have the link? Or was it a hard copy SPIEGEL? I've read so many dumb articles the last weeks in the Spiegel I've lost all trust in their magazine. Ever since the company was taken over by a huge yellow press CEO it's lost a shit ton of credibility. 

To be honest I feel it is quite different. Russia used to be respected like the public respects the US. After all our lifestyle is hugely influenced by america, we buy your music, your clothes, your movies so much that we don't even dislike your bases here. I was buying food in the local KFC and (like always) there were some US soldiers there and wondered what would happen if I told them to gtfo. I guess even the other germans would protect them. I ask myself how I would be treated if I were to visit a german Schnitzelrestaurant in the US as a german soldier being stationed there? 

Right now the papers are really one sided anti russian and try to pit the masses against the east. Anonymous is getting more and more followers though, because they see behind the one sided bullshit journalism that paints the picutre of bad russia. 

To me russia and america don't seem THAT different, atleast not different enough for me to love the one and hate the other....

/rant from germany