Can someone explain the concept of Aetheism to me?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Gonzopoly*, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Yes. I just said the possibility of god, to further explain that they believe even the concept of a god is impossible.

And yup, Agnostics neither believe nor disbelieve in god.

Depending on my mood, I refer to myself as either Atheistic Agnostic (leans towards the no god side, but is open to proof were it to be found), of an Autotheist (belief that you are your own god)

That would be a gnostic atheist, to be clear 

3. Huh.

Guess you learn something every day

It's something a lot of people get mixed up. Atheism/theism only refers to beliefs, agnosticism/gnosticism refers to knowledge. Here's that old handy dandy chart.

[​IMG]

5. Now that is a handy chart.

I might need to carry those around on index cards for when people try to tell me Atheism is a religion or that Agnostic and Atheist are basically the same thing

6. #46 Stormy Sea, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014

Is it also just possible to be one?

I'm pretty sure I'm purely agnostic... but then, the English language, so tricky... lacks beliefs, I don't really lack beliefs, because it might be true, I dunno... But I also don't believe, because I'm not sure.. but I don't disbelieve any more than I believe... AAAAAAH, baked circle, moving on.

I don't believe or disbelieve in any higher power, or being, or afterlife, or what-have-you. Could be, could not be, I don't lean either way, simply in the middle, because the evidence doesn't lean either way. They need to invent a term for people who believe it's okay for anyone to be spiritual if they want to and have a theory of being, but are against organized religion & stating things as truth... hahaha.

I just simply don't know, and I can admit that: I don't know. Nobody, down-to-the-bone, 100% knows. There's no proof either way you go. There might never be. We don't know. We should just be honest about it!  :smoke:

Sure, I suppose you could stick with strictly agnostic if you don't lean either way.

You don't have to know to hold a belief though. I don't know whether there is such thing as bigfoot, but I don't believe there is. ;) 

Atheism is a delusion.  It is a false belief.

delusion: a belief that is not true

Lol yeah keep telling yourself that 

I think you don't understand what it means that light is both particle and wave

I understand it fully for I have seen both sides of nature.

And I used to be an atheist.

11. no, everything you believe is false, i've seen both sides of the universe and nature and know everything there is to know about it, I'm right and you're wrong because i said so...

12. I do not bekieve god exists. Therefor i am an atheist.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. As someone who used to think atheism was the only religion that didn't believe in god, I would say that there has to be something bigger than us, more powerful, but I don't like putting a title on it, saying it's created us to worship it and live a certain way and that he made a 'special son' to 'repent our sins', it's just there
    That's called agnosticism, or being agnostic, the belief of something greater that we don't want to label or pretend to know about

You're speaking for yourself.  I believe in everything, I believe in truths, positives.  If you say what I believe in is false, then you're saying that you hold false beliefs.

And we know what a false belief is, right.

Agnosticism is just believing we can't know whether any gods exist or not, it doesn't mean a belief in an unlabeled higher power :confused_2: 

16. #56 SassyMelassy, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
    You have absolutely no evidence to credibly make that claim. Your experience can support your opinion alone, not universal fact.

17. #57 White Indian, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
    So you believe what happened to the Jews during the Holocaust was the best thing ever? That's sick, dude, why would you even say that?

Oh boy, you really got him there! 

19. yeah you're right.
    Though also means he thinks it is the worse thing ever.

20. Atheism, simply put is not being monotheistic. Then people put in whatever beliefs they personally have and make the "definition" of atheism confusing as fuck.