Pakalolos Organics For The Win

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Pakalolo, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Damn Pak, you gonna have enough flavors to open up your own dispensary.  Way cool.  Your plants are really nice looking.  Awesome work man.

@[member="unplugged"] I think I can answer your questions here.  It's always a good idea to clean your grow area between runs.  I think most of us do it.  Your pests can remain dormant under the right conditions and come back with a vengance when conditions are favorable for them.
    I look at is as part of my IPM program.  I hate the summer from the aspect of indoor growing.  Way too hot to grow in my rooms, unless I want to spring for a serious AC system (which I don't).

Congratulations on the baby!   :hello:                       Now hand out some blunts man!!!! :ey:

I've never had mites in my cured bud before but that is probably because I hang my plants upside down to dry. Those mites are stupid and only know up. If there are any mites on my herb then they end up at the top (or bottom depending on how you think about it) and not in the buds. So next time hang them upside down right after harvesting.

Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your baby. Raising children is an adventure to enjoy.

Whether you smoke it, turn it into hash or toss it is up to you. I'm thinking that the mites are dead without something living to eat. I've probably smoked lots of dead mites in my day with the problems I've had with them.

My IPM is the NPA spray every 3rd day up to starting the 3rd week of flowering. I also hit them with spinosad and serenade once a week. I go into the 4-5th week of flower with these.

I also am checking under my leaves daily for problems.  I don't check every leaf but do a random sample. I have found if you see webs on living plants you're in big trouble. If you see the yellowed spots from mite damage on the top of your leaves you will have a fight on your hands. If you find a few random mites then a 3 day 4 rounds of spinosad will stop them in their tracks.

Preventative maintenance is your best protection followed up with daily inspections.

This is what works for me. YMMV.

3. Today I harvested some EWC from my worm bins. This run in the worm bin was a combination of rabbit poop, the newspaper that lined the bottom of the rabbit cage and Oly Mtn Fish Compost. I figure the worms had worked the material on top very well because most of the worms were at the bottom of the bins. I have lots of baby worms too.

I went out into the forest and gathered about 2 1/2 gallons of forest duff and added 2 1/2 gallons of some thermal compost I have working in my compost bin. The bin compost has nettles, horsetails and comfrey plus various yard wastes. It was a nice dirt like material. I added some of my mineral mix to it and some kelp and crab meal. This is what I'm feeding my worms for this run.

Here is what my worm bins look like. These are about 1/2 full each. So it's about 18 gallons of material altogether.

Worm bins
    [​IMG]

I got about 10 gallons of EWC from the 2 bins.

EWC
    [​IMG]

I've got almost 30 gallons of EWC on hand now. So I'm going to make some more soil.

They hung upside-down for three days. Maybe I should have let them hang longer? I think they're active in my jars too (or at least were when I jarred them) because the webs have formed between buds in the jar. They may be increasing too, although it could just be that I didn't see them all right away. I've yet to see anything moving though and nothing visible fell out when I shook a bud with webs over some white paper. I'm also seeing a lot of tiny little spheres in the webs that I hope are trichomes falling off and getting caught but I suspect are actually eggs. :(

Next run I'll be following your IPM to the letter. Thanks for sharing your knowledge! And thanks for the congratulations! I'm very excited to begin this adventure.  :smoke:

Put them in a jar, screw it tight and place in freezer.  I've done that with spidery grains and it worked.  Might work for your weed.

6. So if my ladies are ready and the lights went off at 8am can I cut them hoes down at 745 pm tonite?

7. #747 queefer madness, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
    Teenagers look great Pak! Thanks for the pic of the over watered clones, exactly what my leaves looked like last indoor run (first los). No doubt I was watering too much

Also curious of your take on an extended dark period before harvest?

8. Nice tight looking op man. Nice!

I'd give this a try. I've never done it before but I seen others do it. I think it will degrade the quality though to freeze it. That's just my opinion not based on fact. The run I had PM I made QWISO from the buds.

I don't follow any set time for cutting down my ladies. Sometimes I do it in the morning and sometimes I do it before lights go out. I've never harvested in the dark. I've never turned my lights off with the idea that letting them sit in the dark will improve the quality. I never heard of this until I came out of my cellar. I like to keep it simple and not add complexity to my grows.

I've only read about it here in the forums. It's not something I do and now that I'm aware of it I don't think it is something that I will try. I'm a firm believer in trying things out and make your own decision whether to use it again. There are no extended dark periods in nature so this doesn't seem to be what the plant has evolved to over the millions of years (or maybe 100,000s of years). I'm not one to try to maximize anything in my grows. Like I've always said my goal is to have a steady supply of quality herb. That's what I've got right now.

That's my opinion of this.

I must confess that is a compliment that has come full circle. When I first came to GC and realized that I should grow organically I started looking at journals of grows that I admired. Your journal was one of them that a read through. Your grow was one that I aspired to replicate. So thanks for the recognition. I seem to be catching on to this organic growing.

10. #750 over dere, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Beautiful work!

CC

Blue Orca
    [​IMG]

11. In Washington I'm allowed to have 15 plants in flower. Right now I have 2 males flowering but 15 females with 9 in flower. I'm going to cut down the males in the next few weeks but today I cut down one of the flowering females, a Halo 2X pheno hunt. This will put me at 15 in flower. The 2 males are with a Neon Purps, Original Diesel, Mazar-I-Shariff x Guerrero, Goblin Queen seedling and Goblin Queen. Whatever seeds show up will be okay.

I also popped some more Sanctuary Gardens genetics but like last time I'm finding mostly males. So I'm cutting down these 5 males: 3 Ravnus, an Overlord and Halo 2X. They're tall and lanky.

[​IMG]

12. I came home today to discover that one of my Blue Orca cuttings had rooted. So I dusted her with VAM, transplanted her into a 4" pot, sprinkled neem cake and covered with timothy hay. So I'm watching the others for signs of rooting. 2 of the last 3 look like they're trying to grow. I think this first one took about 4 weeks to root. Well within what I consider a reasonable amount of time to root.

13. Because I have nowhere else to post these. This is my G-13 Pineapple Express. The one I've been referencing for my questions on "lollipopping"/trimming below the canopy and variegation. She's looking very healthy, to me. I've noticed a quirk of hers, though: 2 of 4 colas are compact/what I would call normal lookin' colas, and the other 2 are growing buds further away from the main stem. Any thoughts on a reason for this, or, "That's just how she goes"?
    IMG_0713.jpg
    IMG_0714.jpg
    IMG_0722.JPG

14. Do you think they just haven't filed in yet, or that they won't fill in?

Sent from somewhere over there.
    No, not there...over THERE.

15. These are buds I've normally seen just grow right next to the main stem, but now they have like an inch-and-a-half long stem between them and the main stem....if you understand that. The change happened after buds had already started to grow so I'm at a loss.

And I have no clue what's going to happen w/ filling out. I can't imagine the buds will fill out all the way to the main stem unless they start growing inwards opposed to outwards. It's just strange, to me, that 2 of them are "normal" and 2 have some lanky buds all the way up...heck, maybe those 2 colas will end up looking like tridents or something....

IMG_0725.jpg IMG_0728.jpg

vs
    "normals"
    IMG_0726.jpg IMG_0727.jpg

16. #756 Pakalolo, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    SB - Your PE looks okay to me. I won't worry about the buds filling out. That plant looks like it is 4-5 weeks into flower. As it finishes the bud will really fill out. Go into LITFA mode and enjoy watching those buds get fat. This is the time when I like just sitting in the room with the plants.

Here is my last PE. It was my last big bout with PM too.

View attachment 132079

Here's a bud shot for you.

View attachment 132078

She's about the same time in flower as your plant.

17. Thanks for the picture. The only "maintenance" I'll be doing is just the quarter-turn a day and plain water whenever she needs it.

No wonder your PE looks so healthy. If you're down to 1/4 turn a day and water your soil must be dialed in.

Excellent work.

19. Well I didn't spend countless hours reading/researching and building my soil to have to do anything but turn and water. Now, if I could just get all my garden's red, clay soil to be this nice, things would be really cooking.

20. I harvested my ladies and got them trimmed up thru the past couple days.......i have some pictures in a couple days before they go into jars.  I had plucked a single cola a week and a half ago or so and dryer and cured it for a week or so and let me tell you......some 2 hitter quitter, burns to a very light and white ash and all.......ORGANICS FTW