Pakalolos Organics For The Win

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Pakalolo, Feb 26, 2014.

Thanks, this weekend is turning out to be very productive even though I'm heavily medicated at the moment. I've been cleaning up the areas and I'm almost done with that. I just need to spray the floor with Mighty Wash.

I turned my organic soil mixes today. I haven't done that in a while. I consolidated 3 different mixes into one 32 gallon garbage can. I've got 2 32 gallon garbage cans full of organic soil. They've been sitting for almost 3 months. So I'm down to 8 cubic feet of soil. I'm giving 4 cubic feet to my dispensary grow friend. He is going to do his outdoor grow using organic soil. So it is time to make up some more soil for me. This will be my no till soil. The other 4 cubic feet will be for my wife's flower containers.

This time I'm using my own EWC and some of my outdoor compost. I've built an earth worm casings screen for harvesting the EWC. It's just made of 2x4's and 1/2" screen. I made it so it would fit over a storage bin I have. I'll get a picture up of it.

I was thinking similar thoughts about the leaf damage. It could be from sprays or it might be some new pest threatening my grow. I have seen this before but not on my new growth areas. So I don't know how this will turn out. I've got no worries though. I'm sitting on enough medicine to last a few months. So even if things go south I'm going to still have relief from back pain,

2. I was checking out the bottom of the 4" pots and there are roots coming out of all of them. I was going to wait until next weekend to transplant but I'm going to do it tomorrow. That means I will also transplant the teenagers into the flower area. I've got it all cleaned up and ready. I wanted to wait another week but the seedlings are what I'm focused on so they dictate what I'll do.

It will be a busy day tomorrow. I've got an ACT brewing to moisten the soil mix I'm making tomorrow and the transplanting. I've always let the plants tell me what to do.

3. I was busy today. I transplanted and this is how my flower and teenage areas look now.

Flower area
    View attachment 135139

In front and on right is Trainwreck, next to her in the middle is Chemdawg and in the back is Chocolope. This is their first night under 12/12. So in about 3 weeks I'm going to test out the Eminem frozen pollen and see if it works.

Teenage area
    View attachment 135140

In the front row l to r: Halo 2X, Cascadian Frost
    In the next row l to r: Overlord, Goblin Queen, Halo 2X
    In the next row l to r: Mildred, Neon Purp, Mazar x Guerrero
    In the back row l to r: MTV, Trainwreck, Eminem

4. I posted about my building a EWC screen for harvest. Well today I harvested my own EWC with the screen I built. It took about an hour but I got about 3 gallons of casings.

Here is the screen I built and the plastic storage bin I built it for.

View attachment 135138

Here are the casings I harvested.

View attachment 135137

5. #45 Pakalolo, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
    I ended up with 3 gallons of my own EWC. Naturally I mixed up some soil. I veered a little bit from my first soil mix because I'm thinking this will be a better no till mix. I changed my base soil mix for 30 gallons.

Premier Sphagnum Peat Moss 15 gallons
    My own EWC                              3 gallons
    My own outdoor compost            5 gallons
    Small/medium pumice                 4 gallons
    Large pumice                              1 gallon
    Biochar                                       2 gallons

This is my base soil mix and it is 4 cubic feet

To this I added my amendments at 1/2 cup per cubic feet or 2 cups of each to the 30 gallons

Kelp meal
    Alfalfa meal
    Neem seed meal
    Fish bone meal
    Crab meal

Finally I added 4 cups per cubic feet of my mineral mix I posted about earlier for a total of 16 cups. I moistened the mix with an ACT.

This will sit (I'll turn in on the weekends for the first 2) and cycle. This should be ready for the new teenagers. I'm excited about sourcing my own compost and EWC.

6. getting caught up Pak.
    have you ever used an act foilier spray for the pm?
    got ti keep reading.

Twas Ever Thus!

No, I haven't used an ACT as a foliar spray, just as a soil drench. I'm crossing my fingers that the PM is cleared up. I haven't seen any in a little over a month now. So as time goes on it's getting better. The only thing I'm seeing now are a few fungus gnats. Usually bad stuff doesn't show up until after the 3rd week of flowering when you can't hit them with the neem oil/ProTeKt/aloe vera juice IPM.

I'm putting some tanglefoot around the base of my ladies when I get home. I'm thinking that if any spider mites try to climb up the stalk they'll be blocked by the tanglefoot. It's just a guess on my part but I'm going to try it.

8. Here is my seed harvest. I got the male from some seeds that I froze in the 70's from my old grow buddy. He had breed these seeds to grow well in the foothills of the Cascades here in Washington. They were a cross from a plant out of northern California and the best Thai stick he had smoked. He labeled these as good quality, small bud, early development. I got this male to pop and named him Eminem. I got some pollen and breed him to my 2 keeper females, Mildred and Trainwreck.

My seeds
    View attachment 135255

I got 12 Eminem x Mildred and 40 Eminem x Trainwreck. A couple of seeds look immature but the majority are ripe for planting. I plan on popping these as soon as I get some room. Maybe towards the end of the month.

9. I finished trimming and jarring my Trainwreck and Mildred. I got enough to keep me going until the next harvest in about 8 weeks. Here's some bud shots for you. I'm not very good at taking bud shots. I'll try to improve on that.

Mildred buds
    View attachment 135417

Trainwreck buds
    View attachment 135418

I think I ended up with more Trainwreck then Mildred. Here's my growing collection of buds. Off the top of my head there is Mildred, Trainwreck (two types), Pineapple Express, OG Kush, Purple Kush, Pitbull and Chocolope.

Bud collection
    View attachment 135416

love that plant in the back man..  looks like a weed palm tree!

how big is the mesh on that screen you used on the castings? need to start looking into making a screen..

great stuff as always pak.

11. :eek:  Those jars!!  Congrats man!

It's 1/2" hardware wire. It took me almost an hour to process the EWC. It's a messy job but good thing I was wearing gloves to do it. I just smeared the worm bin stuff on the screen and then 'bounced' the screen up and down with my fingers. The ends of my fingers got a little sore from the tapping but it worked okay. Some worms fell into the EWC but most were okay. I've got 1000's in my worm bin. I added about 5 more gallons of pre-composted kitchen scraps. I'm going to screen some of my outdoor compost in a couple of weeks to get more EWC. My outdoor compost pile is just full of worms.

I can't smoke it up fast enough. Some of those jars are from 3 harvests ago. From Mildred and Trainwreck I got about a gallon of buds. I don't know the weight because I don't own a scale. Seeing how I'm not doing this commercially I don't need a scale. I'm going to make some more hash but I haven't used up the last batch yet.

I knew when I started this organically grown herb that I would probably end up with more than I can consume. That's why I'm making the switch to looking for new strain to keep. The breeding will go along with that too. Lots of little plants in 2 gallon pots rather than a few big pots. Big pots equal higher yields and I don't need higher yields.

14. Ahh wtf lol I was wondering if u were ever gonna update that other thread :rolleyes: :lol: now I gotta catch up.. :smoke: :smoke:

The old thread is dormant but you already know almost everything I do. It won't take long to catch up. I'll be posting my weekend updates later today or tomorrow.

16. That jar stash is just like mine!! Everything is looking great man.

Thanks blackwolf. I'll be putting up some more pictures later tonight.

18. Lots has been going on this week. I've got some clones that finally rooted after almost 3 weeks. I had to transplant some babies from 4" pots to gallon pots. Everything is growing as expected. So far no signs of PM or spider mites. I have lots of soil mites running all over the cellar. That's okay with me. Here is some of Swami's gear. I'm really liking what I see. These were over watered but they're now in gallon pots and are looking happy. These were seedlings so I don't know the sex yet.

Cascadian Frost
    View attachment 135483

Mazar x Guerrero
    View attachment 135490

Mazar is stretching and lanky so this may turn out to be a male. CF is squat and bushy so it is looking female. I've never grown these before so I don't know what to expect. I've seen pictures of them and I'm hoping that I do as well.

Here are a couple of plants that are from Original Diesel seeds. Again I don't know what to expect with these nor do I know the sex.

View attachment 135492

View attachment 135493