Pakalolos Organics For The Win

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Pakalolo, Feb 26, 2014.

1. #2261 Pakalolo, May 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015

Thanks for the compliment. I like to keep things looking good when my friends stop by.

I discovered that you can select for characteristics in the branches you clone. My Goblin Girl sister came off the same mother that variegated Goblin Girl came from. One of my GG sisters is showing variegation on one branch. I could clone that branch and get a variegated Goblin Girl from Goblin Girl sister. I also showed a picture a few posts back of a seedling that I popped that retained the variegation. So it is even passed on through to the seeds.

I stopped by a friend of mine today who mentioned that a lot of growers in the Seattle area are having problems with broad mites (Polyphagotarsonemus latus). It seems that the dispensary clones are passing them around. Glad I've stayed away from those dispensary clones. I learned my lesson almost 2 years ago. Never again will I buy clones from the dispensary. He said they haven't found anything to eradicate an infestation outside of using predatory mites against them.

3. Only once have a bought a clean clone. They always have spider mites. This last set has some particularly resistant ones. I've never had an issue eradicating a pest. I'm south of seattle and the collective I bought it from still has them in the big garden. I talked to a couple people who said they bought plants from the guy who's part of the collective that has the blue orca whom vouched for his clones. Picking up a cut next Sunday. This way I'm getting the exact cut that was gifted down from all those loving hands. This town has almost all of the cuts; except for The One. It got lost in the broad mites. He logged on to find the original owner but he was banned.

4. #2264 Pakalolo, May 21, 2015

It has been my experience for the last 25 years you could always find a friend of a friend of a friend... that would share clones with you. That UofDub cultivar seemed to be readily available and farther back it was Northern Lights #5. I even had a sativa leaning plant that was named George. I later found out that the name came for the friend of a friend that gave me the clone. I never got mites or PM from doing that. It is only when people started getting clones from the dispensaries that these type of problems became prevalent. I'm probably going to shut down my cellar for awhile to clean it up of the PM. I'll run outdoors this summer and let the cellar sit idle.

EDIT: If you do get a clone of Blue Orca post a picture of her in flower. I've been growing her and TO long enough to recognize them. The leaf shape is similar but there are characteristics that you can observe and differentiate them.

5. #2265 ladyluckybean, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Mom needs something for pain relief so since I know it works for that, I'm getting it. when she flowers, you bet I'll be showing her off! :)

A few people I know use steam mops that are essentially a fancy floor mop to wipe walls and ceilings down with. Steam can get in all the nooks and crannies better than just a good wipe down. I'm sure come fall, you'll be good as gold!

Yes I was unceremoniously dismissed from Gypsy's House of Perdition...

I hope he's doing well in his new digs - quite the man-cave, eh?

Idiot...

7. #2267 CanadianOrganic, May 21, 2015
    It's absolutely ridiculous. The dispensaries should be ashamed of their shop. Portraying themselves as people supplying medicine and then they knowingly infect patients gardens with (somewhat) easily dispensable insects. I wonder if they're just lazy or don't want to fork out the cash?[​IMG]

Always follow the money...just like Deep Throat reminded everyone during Watergate

9. I was in for a big surprise when I first got my card a year ago. All about money. They'd have to shut down to clean up cause that garden is huge. They try to kill them but even with their IPM plan of forbid, floramite, avid, and azamax?!?! I met the owner and told him to hired a bed bug company to heat treat his warehouse. Hope he takes my advice.

The cut is from an old friend of Gas. I have no clue about the gypsy ordeal. Don't really care about the people who operate that site.

10. Hiring someone else costs money.
    I doubt he will :(

11. Aloha Paka it's my Birthday! [​IMG] Tom had to work some cause some rich people are here from China so they need him to cook. After stoppin in to my friends here I'm gonna go have a beachday party. [​IMG]
    Aloha[​IMG]

I'll celebrate with you here in the PNW. Happy birthday and Aloha. I loved to hang at a Hawaiian beach party. I love those islands.

Today was my last day at the job I've contracted with for the last 3 years and 8 months. I'm officially on unemployment and my first week starts Sunday.

13. Happy Birthday!

Happy unemployment!

14. #2274 Pakalolo, May 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015
    When I first got my card for MMJ I went to the dispensaries. I had one offer to help me design my grow space so I talked to their 'gardener'. I now know why you see such issues with contaminated clones. This guy was basically clueless.

Once your space gets infested with these problems it is almost impossible to rid them without tearing everything down to the walls, ceiling and floors. You need to stay on top of the plants and find the problem before you become infested.

For example, looking under your leaves for spider mites is a necessity. Once you see those little white/yellow specks on the top of the leaves you've got a battle on your hands. If it gets to the webs you've lost. These people don't know what to even watch for. Like CC implied it's about the money and not the health of the patients.

I'm working to contain my PM problem. I've got many pheno hunt plants that are showing no PM even though they are within a few feet of the plants that have it. What I'm learning is you can keep it out of the buds but you have to spray daily with Serenade or Actinovate. At least this is working for me. SG1 uses a sulfur treatment but I don't have the choice. I did it once and my wife about kicked me out of the house. I seeped up from the cellar and even I found it unpleasant. SG1 does it I think 3 times.

I read where baking soda is good so I'm going to hit walls, ceiling, floor, lights, hood, fans with it and follow on with bleach. I'll run my 8 ladies outside and make sure the babies stay clean.

The last time I talked to the dispensary grower they were having to cut everything down and start over because of broad mites. This was in the fall of 2013. I haven't stepped into one of those places since.

15. #2275 over dere, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
    I always called it funenjoyment, rather than the Un-word.

Time to get serious [​IMG]

17. Thanks CC for the information. Now that I've got more time to myself I'll be reading up on this.

I've got a harvest coming up in a week or 2. Looking forward to getting a good sample on that Nocturnal.

18. I've been having fairly good success at controlling the PM with all my plants but the tweeners. I was planning on running the tweeners outside but they seem to be the most infected with PM. It isn't bad but I don't think they'll do that good once I flip them. So I'm tossing all eight of them. I won't lose any of the cultivars so it isn't a big set back for me.

In the growing of marijuana sometimes it is best to cut your loses. I've got some very nice babies coming in behind them so I'll only lose a month or 6 weeks in my normal rotation. I'll go with the teenagers outside.

This will allow me to clean flower room 1 and 2 plus the tweeners area. I learned a long time ago that there are those moments in growing that you just have to throw in the towel. Taking care of the tweeners is becoming a PITA.

19. I always say to pay attention to your plants and they will teach you how to grow them. I've never had issues with PM until I brought those dispensary clones into my cellar. I've had bud rot issues on the outdoor girls but that is to be expected when the weather changes here in the PNW.

So I'm learning how to deal with PM in the cellar. I haven't eradicated it but I have learned to control it to the fan leaves. PM hasn't been showing up in my plants until they are flipped and about 1/2 through their maturity cycle. I spray them daily and this reduces the spread. Unfortunately my tweeners have been infected and I haven't been able to contain it. At one time I thought that PM was systemic but with further research I found that it isn't. PM is a fungi and like all fungi it will produce mycelium. This mycelium grows along the surface of the plant and sends haustoria (root-like structures) in the epidermal cells of the plant.

Now my tweeners have been hit hard with PM and I just can't control it with either Serenade, Actinovate or baking soda. I've been hitting them daily with an extreme soaking but the mycelium/haustoria is firmly established. While it is knocked down within 12 hours or so it is back. Here are my tweeners just before I chopped them.

[​IMG]

If you look closely at the nearest plant you can see what the PM looks like on the fan leaves. Here is a better picture of that.

[​IMG]

It is obvious that the PM is well established on the fan leaves. This is why I decided to cut my losses and toss these girls. I have some issues with my ladies in the flower rooms but they aren't too bad at the moment. These will hit 8 weeks on June 15.

[​IMG]

I took a close up picture so you could see what I'm talking about. Notice that there is some PM at the base of the leaf. It hasn't spread out of the veins. When it is in this state I'm guessing that the mycelium/haustoria hasn't gotten a good foot hold yet. When I spray these plants it kills the fruiting portion that produces the spores and slows down the spread of PM. I still hit these daily but it is no where near what the tweeners have experienced.

I don't have anything else to go on but my observations so all of this may be subjective wishfulness. As long as it stays out of the buds I'll be happy. My last seed run only one of the plants showed PM in the buds. I'm crossing my fingers.

20. #2280 skyclad808, May 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
    Mahalo. Bet I partied harder[​IMG][​IMG] Naw it was calm and quiet and nice. Old age kickin in. [​IMG] I love these isalnds too the one my feet hit every morning mostly[​IMG]
    Congrats on the retirement from the software place. Nice going found a way to retire every 3.8 months. smart guy[​IMG]

Mahalo Anatman! [​IMG]
    Both of those could apply to me[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I hope I did not get puter koodies from clicking that. I did not notice it was one of those strange accounts. It did not open a link so hopefully no creeper is peekin in my webcam[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I don't get how that works those accounts?[​IMG]

That second peektour is not as bad as those I am sitting for a friend. I put em out to flower. I don't want em in my greenhouses. I sprayed em with some stuff and it burned em a little but the PM is not near as bad. I only sprayed em once. Some stuff says all natural in a green bottle its for bugs and fungus so I thought what the fuck? I'm not gonna smoke the smoke anyway cause it's not my plants. So may as well try whatever?[​IMG] Test plants[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]