The greatest genius of all time - your opinion

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by SlowMo, Feb 26, 2014.

1. DaVinci or Newton

2. Founders of science obviously deserve a lot of credit but a question is already there; why did the apple fall or why did the bath water rise etc. What i believe is more important is to question answers and for that reason i'd say Galileo for defying the church. 

3. Galileo IMO is the best man!!

4. With so many great historical figures to choose from, it seems an insult to all the others to pick just one, but I can compile a pretty short list.

DaVinci - for the sheer scope of his genius. I don't think any other man in history mastered such a wide variety of disciplines, from art to human anatomy to physics and mechanics, and beyond.

Gaius Julius Caesar - Not only for his tactical genius, which was so far above any commander he ever faced including Gnaeus Pompey, but also for his amazing political acumen, to be able to rise to the level of a de facto emperor, in what was by far the most cutthroat political arena of his time.

Albert Einstein - Newton may have invented calculus(this is actually disputed, as a European scientist came up with an identical system at exactly the same time), but Einstein expanded upon the Newtonian model to create a physical model of the universe upon which most of our modern day technology is based.

And I think credit also needs to go to Stephen Hawking, not only for his theories on black holes and contributions to quantum mechanics, but also for serving as a very public face for physics in popular culture, and for marketing the exploration of science to a more mainstream audience through his writing.

IMO, there's too many geniuses to list in a short sitting.

5. #46 TesseLated, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
    DaVinci

Tesla

http://youtu.be/3gOR91oentQ

Very Informative..About Tesla- everything is true

All of these are great

*This is an old one from HBO

6. [quote name="propianotuner" post="19666049" timestamp="1394513393"]Yeah, he kind of umm... came up with relativity and invented tons of modern concepts in cosmology and astrology. quote] No Einstein didn't add to astrology but astronomy. Huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7.  Einstein sucked lol..  

Richard Feynman made the statement that 5000 years from now, the name that will stick from this era due to his overwhelming contribution to nearly every electrically technological wonder will be the brilliant mathematical physicist, James Clerk Maxwell. His fours field equations describing the electric and magnetic fields and their mutual relationship form the framework for the design of nearly every electrical/electronic device we so blatantly take for granted. It was his insight that linked light with electromagnetism and so provided the theoretical underpinnings for modern optics, not to mention a plethora of other useful electrical technologies. Tesla may have tamed and utilized Faraday (principles of induction) to a certain experimental extent and thus given us transformers and an ac power grid, among other things. But Maxwell made it possible for engineers to design them (and electric motors as well) according to a desired end product functionality. Same with antennas and electromagnetic propagation through not only a vacuum, buy through material as well. Tesla has been popularized by modern media such as the History and Discovery channel, as well he should be. But the popular media, even Nova and other science based programs, hasn't the sense or ability to convey the stature and contributory greatness Maxwell to the general public. That's a shame! In the physics world, that's not the case.

9. #50 Tokesmith, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
    Kim Jong Un......

Sent from labor camp

10. Id say Albert Einstein, hes responsible for modern day quantum physics which is leading to a lot of our current breakthroughs in science.

11. Max Planck deserves a mention too. He was like a Big Daddy Kane of his time.

If his quote,

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

doesn't sound at all like the opening lyrics to Ain't No Half Steppin, then I really don't know what to say to you.

12. #53 wyzard, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
    While I agree that Maxwell, Faraday, Gauss and others were genius, I selected Tesla for his understanding of harmonic waves as a new basis from which to calculate a zero point. I admire it, and think the implications will outlive his current sensational return to the public mind. It was this understanding of waves and oscillation that allowed him to see the potential of AC. It was this notion that allowed him to prototype the concept of remote control. I think we have yet to uncover much of what he intuitively suspected, and in cases, demonstrated.

For those who don't know what you mean by "Maxwell's equations", let's remember that each of these men (including Tesla) were standing on each other's shoulders. Maxwell's equations for example are mathematical extrapolations of principles discovered by Faraday, Gauss and others.

Check Out a timeline

Sure. And I wasn't trying to undermine your choice or try to boost Maxwell as my own. He was merely Feynman's. My choice will always be Euler, from both a theoretical as well as applicable standpoint. I say that even though I have a tremendous appreciation for Newton's foundational contributions to mechanics, optics, differential and integral calculus, etc.

14. Here are my favorite, or most influential, geniuses...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. The unknown person who first realized that we can cultivate cannabis, in the mists of prehistory.

16. Nikola Tesla > Thomas Edison

Its a shame how much of his work is forgotten.

17. tesla is the most badass awesome genius ever

the better question would be, what genius has contributed the most to society?

18. Karl Pilkington.

19. Interesting to know that all these men were vegetarian, with the exception of Newton. Many people will claim he was vegetarian but I believe it was only during the last couple years of his life.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app