SUPER SILO; Vertical, 2kW, 100 ft² RDWC Trees, water cooled on dry nutrients

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Ttystikk, Feb 26, 2014.

Stick around another ten minutes, and I'll show ya.

2. Okay, so I watched Charlie Rose interview some guy named James Earl Carter. Sue me... lol

Sorry if the pics load sideways, don't ask me why it happens or how to fix it. The last one is of Longs Peak, and the slightly lower Mount Meeker on its flank, towering from 70 miles away over early spring Colorado farmland. Taken en route to Hydro Innovations.

20140326_002612.jpg
    20140326_002833.jpg
    20140326_002943.jpg
    20140326_002959.jpg
    20140325_162742.jpg

3. a little different then what I imagined lol. its hard to get a good pic with the lights backlighting it.
    I may try this in the new space I'm working on. This is not the average grow. I dig the hell out of it.:D
    It looks cool as a cucumber too.

Twas Ever Thus!

Backlighting is part of the problem, but the real challenge is the fact that the silo is designed with great intention to totally fill the space- leaving absolutely nowhere to get back and show any kind of scale at all!

5. Thought I'd get creative with the camera and let the shots fall where they may;

20140328_021539.jpg
    20140328_021533.jpg
    20140328_021448.jpg
    20140328_021357.jpg
    20140328_021254.jpg
    20140328_021233.jpg

6. Wow... I guess no one gives a shit about reducing their total growing costs by 3/4 and their footprint by 2/3.

Fair nuff.

7. Damn shame too, because growing like this is so easy a paraplegic can trim the trees and work the system, without ever leaving their seat.

8. I would like to see your results.
    It takes a bit to gain a following at GC people are looking and will post when they see it working for you.
    I plan to do a silo grow myself after I get my new grow shed done and have more room. The properties of light guarantee it to work providing that the screen is full. I guess if you are done I can wait to see how mine does.:D

Twas Ever Thus!

9. #69 Ttystikk, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014
    There are a few tricks to getting that screen full, but it's pretty straightforward.

Sometimes ya just gotta kick the hornet's nest to see if it's empty.

10. The plants are drinking five gallons of water daily... each.

11. Recent crop pix;

20140410_193436.jpg
    20140410_160704.jpg
    20140410_154720.jpg
    20140410_154600.jpg

Some of the pix gave been turned, they are all vertical trellis shots.

12. #72 snoopdog6502, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014

That last one its sweet. I am interested in the method completely. I have not been online because im gearing up for outdoor. Going sea of green in swimming pools will be my experiment this summer.

You are shooting for 100 zips from 4 plants, man id be thrilled to get 40 myself.

From the looks of it you will make your mark.

13. 20140410_154724.jpg

My personal best result from 25 ft² of trellis is 4lb, but that was six plants in a horizontal trellis under 2kW in Magnum xxxl.

I may not get it the first time out, but I'm comfortable with shooting for two per 25 ft² vertical trellis, and four trellis share the same 2kW of lighting, only bare this time. That's eight per Super Silo...over 120oz.

14. Love the method I'll be paying attention, I'm subbed, how long do you veg for? Before you flip the switch to 12/12?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. Eight weeks, give or take, depending on strain.

16. Rebuilt the room for two Super Silos, which increases lighting, plants and trellis space by 25%. Counting the improvement in coverage, this new setup is likely to get twice the yield as I've been getting from the same room full of single bulb silos.

Everything is modular, no little is wasted. Just to see what difference I can find, one of these well run magnetic ballasts and the other will get my only two digital ballasts.

17. Two Super Silos = 4 x 1kW HPS lighting a full 200 ft² of trellis space. It used to take me 16 kW to do the same thing in a flat canopy. 200 ft² used to be my entire growing space in total; now it fits in just one room, with a lot of space left over in the corners.

Two Tons of water chilling used to be enough to cool the op in anything but hot summer weather; and IT STILL IS. I'm really not sure WTF a sealed and vented hood is good for, since it clearly doesn't shed enough heat to make a substantive difference. Worse, I'm growing on some four times the trellis space without the damn box... so apparently the things are a liability, not an asset! Anyone want a great deal on my old reflectors?

Finally, I'm still doing all this on a lousy 100A breaker. Which still shares my 4800W hot tub...

18. I've identified my veg setup as the next bottleneck to be addressed. Clearly, my girls are being terribly overcrowded right before they hit the big time, and that's obviously counterproductive. Not sure what to do here, any ideas?

19. They don't veg in the silo trellis, but rather in a veg tent. This allows me to run the bloom room full time AS a bloomroom, which of course is better to have more runs and thus more productivity.

The problem is that the veg tent is not big enough to do the job, and never really was. Now that I'm filling a silo that's 50% taller, the veg setup needs to deliver a plant that's taller as well, and the veg tent just doesn't measure up.

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and running the girls in veg for a week before flipping them, in order to give them a chance to fill in and make better use of the trellis space.

Other steps include building a better space for veg, which is of course the best solution. I just need to work out how it should look.