SUPER SILO; Vertical, 2kW, 100 ft² RDWC Trees, water cooled on dry nutrients

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Ttystikk, Feb 26, 2014.

1. #321 Ttystikk, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014

I'm running RDWC, where all the nutrients are in the same water solution the plant's roots dangle and grow in their whole life. Thus it's a different environment than a soilless setup like coco, requiring different nutrient levels, pH, nutrient ratios and so forth.

I run a one hundred gallon nutrient change, which translates into about a quarter pound of epsom salts, a half pound of the '5-11-26 special hydroponic mix with micros' from Hydrogardens.com and three quarters of a pound of calcium nitrate. Altogether, that's roughly two dollars and fifty cents' worth of nutrient, and I change it a total of four times in an eight week bloom cycle. Ten dollars to get eight pounds and potentially more?! I'm running a head to head vs House & Garden Van der Swaan, and one run will cost ten times as much.

2. I plan to eventually do dwc or possibly flood & drain.  At this point, I could build my own system by following a diagram found online, but I honestly don't grasp how to add nutes, how the reservoir works, if recirc from the plant holders to the rez is necessary... all the particulars, I am clueless of. 

I know that you are supposed to find the sweet spot where ppms and ph stay level and adjust as you notice needs from your plants. 

A dwc system i'd like to start with would be a 2x2 with 12 gal rubbermaids. 

When I asked about mixing my own on a 10 gallon level, I was thinking more along the lines of making and storing my own concentrates that could later be added to the reservoir.

I guess the 2 questions you could answer for me would be:

Do you know how to mix minerals in order to make storable concentrates?  AND

What is the purpose of the reservoir in dwc, how do the nutes go from the rez to the buckets, and is it smart to eliminate a rez and just mix and add straight to the buckets?

3. #323 Ttystikk, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
    Mixing base minerals to make your own nutrient formula is not necessary. Get dry nutrient salts and mix according to manufacturer's recommendation.

The purpose of a reservoir in hydroponics, no matter what its shape, is simply to provide additional time for the plants to eat and drink between reservoir top ups.

My systems use eight 27 gallon tuffboxes and a five gallon control bucket. There's twenty gallons of perched water table (what doesn't run out when it drains) and one hundred gallons of solution that changes out every two weeks. 

I check and adjust my pH and EC daily, but other than those minor changes the system is set for at least two weeks and likely three if I wanted to. 

I mix into my control bucket. My design differs substantially from the UC in several ways, so I would treat that type of system differently.

4. It's cold. It's so fucking cold the Christmas tree froze its balls off.

5. #325 greaterthings123, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
    Hey bud, what about standing up 3 separate scrog bowls to get a vert setup instead of the wire?  Here is a scrog bowl Im running now... whats ur thoughts?

WIN_20141230_220608.JPG WIN_20141230_220616.JPG WIN_20141230_220640.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  6. You could use those vertically.

7. I had some industry friends come over last night for a visit. It's nice to hear people who do this for a living say that this system is better than what they're doing and they want me to help them upgrade.

8. This whole vertical growing thing has endless possibilities; who wants to see a Super Silo laying on its side?

9. It's been a minute since I've posted about anything new, but once again I'm trying something different. 

As designed, my Super Silos currently run about twenty watts per square foot worth of HPS thouies. I've been concerned about whether that's enough light for the ladies to be all they can be.

Flatlander grows regularly run 55-65W/ft² so I'm wondering if I'm leaving something on the table.

So what I've come up with for an experimental design is to cut my Super Silo right down the middle and put the two halves up against the wall- but use the same watts in each half, so I'm effectively doubling my watts per square foot.

10. #330 beerbrewer, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
    What do you do with your reservoir water when it's time to change? Is it sustainable?

I can use it on my lawn and in my garden, but it's not a pure organic.

12. Well I know it's not pure organic lol. I'm asking because 2 years ago before I went completely organic I bought a line of roots organic bottled nutes and have been thinking of ways to use them for a while now.

13. RDWC isn't a critical component of this system. You wanna run organic nutes in soil, it will work just fine.

14. Update time, kids- preharvest pic du jour;

20150121_101313.jpg

Well, it's upside down. No idea what's up with that, but there are eight plants in there around four lamps. 

Anyone want to guess final weight from the crop? Winner gets a free bag of Hillbilly Hobby- just come to Colorado to collect it!

15. #336 Buffalo11024, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
    9#

16. #337 Ttystikk, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
    If this doesn't make you want smell-o-vision, you're in the wrong website:

20150127_102305.jpg
    20150127_102012.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. nice frosty buds Tty .....mac

18. #339 Ttystikk, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015

Thanks, Mac- imagine how six feet of them look...

Here's another, Hillbilly Hobby. Smells and tastes like sweet chewy lemon bars...

20150203_153835.jpg

• Like Like x 1