Living Organics in an Urban Wasteland (CBD Crew)

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by blackwo1f, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Right on thanks fer the good info man. Tbh I saw the little holes here and there and just brushed them off as nit-picking -- me trying to be a perfectionist and not looking at the plant as a whole. A buddy of mine had gnats like a mofo and his plants still made it to harvest without being hampered too much. Most of the bud had bugs in it but w/e lol. We still shmoked it. I used to have sticky traps... not sure what I did with them lol. Anyway sorry for all the gnat talk lol. Back to the journal :D

We should start a thread for all the informative LD posts. Like the higher learning thread only expanded.....

2. Alrighty, here's 2 Hawaiian Snow clones that I cut that have been doing pretty well. You can see 2 little fungus gnat larvae in the one photo. The little nicks on the leaves are from where they post up and eat. Still gotta cover these guys with perlite.

IMG_3197.JPG IMG_3199.JPG IMG_3198.JPG

This is what happens to a happy plant when you give it the tap water, even after being bubbled for days:

IMG_3201.JPG

And here are a couple of photos of the most recent clones I cut. God's Gift. Cut into rockwool cubes, ph'd bottled water, dipped into Clonex. They seem like they are going to root but are extremely slow and look pretty bad.

IMG_3202.JPG IMG_3203.JPG

I'm sort of compiling my own "CompiledOrganicInfo" document from all LD posts..... was already doing it when the other one was posted lol.  It's definitely shorter than the posted one.... I weeded out some of the real simple posts, like where to find pumice and stuff like that.

4. #24 Gandalf_the_Green, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014

That's cool man, I've never seen the larvae on leaves before.  Dude, what is in your tap water?????  Have you checked your county's water quality report?  I feed my girls straight tap water.... all I do is add Vitamin C (to convert the chloramine to chlorine), then bubble for at least 12 hours.  Something is straight jacked in your water, if it really caused the plant to die like that.

Edit: I dig your tapestry man lol

5. :unsure:  I breezed over your journal, so I may have missed something.  Just curious - how many 5gal pots with mature plants can you comfortably keep in your room during one grow?  

6. #26 blackwo1f, Feb 27, 2014

Yeah I've checked it, it's got chloramine, chlorine and just lots and lots of dissolved metals and salts. The plant pictured actually isn't dead, it's just sort of frozen. But yeah... something is seriously nasty in the water and I don't drink it or give it to my indoor or outdoor garden anymore.

Got a couple Grateful Dead tapestries hanging around  :hippie:

I can fit over 30 when the plants are small, with mature plants I can comfortably fit 12-14. I have a lot in there right now because I'm vegging out plenty for an early outdoor run  :yummy:

7. #27 blackwo1f, Feb 27, 2014
    A quick shot of my 2 Blackberry girls and 1 of my CBD Crew Shark Shocks. The Blackberries are a little stretchy as they were clones, but they are growing pretty quickly. Pretty much all of my seeds stretched quite a lot.. it was my first time popping beans and although all of them broke the soil, I left them under my HPS for too long instead of putting them under my T5.. so they've got a bit of leg underneath them haha.

IMG_3204.JPG    IMG_3205.JPG

I'll guess that Blackberry has some Blueberry genetics.  If so.... I've heard they can be super-finnicky.  Is this your first time growing it?

Shit..... that's sad man.  You live in an area with Fracking? lol

I have more than a couple lol...... actually using two GD tapestries to cover my grow tent right now...... "Nevermind that 6' tall rectangle covered in GD tapestries and making a humming noise." lol

9. #29 blackwo1f, Feb 27, 2014

This is my first time with Blackberry, yes. I did grow a some Skywalker (Blueberry x Mazar) but that was a beastly outdoor cut (probably Mazar heavy) that grew like a tree.

I also have Blue Hog's Breath right now, definitely slower-growing than the Blackberry, but they seem to be doing well. I have never grown straight Blueberry and have always wanted to. Such a crazy smell and taste...

As for the fracking.... check out today's news hahaha. LA Times also has an article. Would not be surprised at all if its a factor.. plus the water is nasty enough here without people doing that crap.

http://westsidetoday.com/2014/02/26/los-angeles-first-california-city-ban-fracking/

Hahahahahaha.... it's alll good... I have 6" shiny ducting hoses running through my room toward the master closet. Not exactly discreet.

10. Hell yeah! I was kinda hoping that you had already saved all of the posts you had read thru. I still need to do that... I have done very little searching so far...

LMAO. Yeah that doesn't sound yoo discreet lol. At least now we are living in a time where it is mostly legal and people don't care as much... I can hear my fan like 5 feet away from the door of the room that my tent is in. People walk by it and have no idea lol. Even my gf doesn't notice it.

11. Plants are looking good blackwo1f! You planning on doin some LST?

Definitely. I have been doing pretty aggressive topping and will LST certain strains. I have 2 XJ13 ladies that are by far the tallest plants I've ever grown.. I'll take a photo of one of them in a bit. It sort of seems unnatural how lanky but strong they are.. unlike something like White Widow which is tall but stringy and viney.

13. You guys should have a look at this and see if you have any clues as to what this issue could be.

Last run, I started seeing this in my organic girls and thought it must have been soil compaction and over-retention of water. The lower leaves get very dark green and then crisp, then start looking burned and eventually wither and die. Keep in mind this is when the fungus gnat infestation was at its peak and I honestly didn't even realize.

This is actually a hydro Herijuana OG that is relatively young, and I'm beginning to see the same issue. I am beginning to wonder if it could be fallout from the fungus gnat infestation. I feel like it must have been far worse than I realized. I let this girl dry out plenty before watering today, so the issue is not overwatering and it's not compaction because this mix is just sunshine and perlite and it's VERY light. I also still see fungus gnats and it's pissing me off. Not as many, but still quite a few.

The tops are a bit limey as well but I believe that could be from the ph being a little high at the moment.

IMG_3206.JPG IMG_3207.JPG IMG_3208.JPG IMG_3209.JPG IMG_3210.JPG IMG_3213.JPG

14. Any thoughts on this guy ^?

I'm seeing the fungus gnats increase in number again. Really starting to piss me off. Would it be possible to use aloe vera juice (like the kind you can drink) to enhance a neem foliar that I'm going to make today? Powder hasn't arrived yet...

15. Bummer about the gnats dude. Have you thought about predatory insects? Yes you can use aloe vera juice from the store (I use Lily of the Desert brand). The saponins will make it so that the neem oil "sticks" to the leaves better. Plus aloe has salicylic acid which induces a plant's SAR response. Just make sure that it is preservative free. If anything, the only ingredients should be aloe vera and citric acid.

16. Sweet, thank you! Overall everyone is doing fine despite the gnats, but I still refuse to let this continue. I don't even see that many gnats, I just see tons of the orange-colored, winged larvae on my leaves and they keep scarring them  :mad: I feel like a heavy neem foliar spray after lights out tonight will really mess up the larvae since they suck on the leaves.

17. #37 donothinggardening, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
    What have your neem sprays been consisting of? If you don't mind my asking...

Another item you may want to include in your regime is some sort of biological inoculant like foliar ACT, EM or Lacto Serum. Microbes colonize leaf/stem surfaces in an area called the phyllosphere and compete for exudates the same way that they colonize the roots in the rhizosphere. By setting up colonies of 'the good guys' you will help to combat anaerobic fungi like powdery mildew etc. Couldn't hurt!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllosphere

18. If you have a lot of larvae you should go to a local herbs and health food store that has essential oils and pick up some Med/ therapeutic grade lavender oil and mix that into your foliar. you cant use the neem with the lavender thou so do a bit or research before you go and spray. http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1. Its supposed to explode larvae on contact 

I haven't done one indoor yet. The first one that I did today was just aloe and neem.

Gandalf said the same thing regarding foliar ACTs... guess I'm going to do that immediately!! Is a small airstone in a 5 gallon bucket enough agitation for a good tea though? I have heard it won't do the trick..

That sounds awesome hahaha.. reading that now!!

20. I've been kinda following this procedure for my IPM sprays:

http://buildasoil.com/blogs/news/12284349-all-natural-spider-mite-or-powdery-mildew-prevention-and-cure

I make 1 quart at a time.. and add 1/2 teaspoon neem oil, 1/2 teaspoon protekt, 1/2 teaspoon dr. B peppermint or lavender soap, 1 tablespoon aloe vera juice

I would use lavender and mint essential oils, but I already had the soap..

It's a good idea to use something like potassium silicate (protekt) or liquid castile soap to emulsify the neem oil. That breaks apart the oil bubbles so that the molecules suspend in water more evenly.

If you want to use oils, Lavender oil, Peppermint oil, and Rosemary oil are your best friends. The compound in Lavender that you want is Linalool. The species of Lavender that has it in the highest concentration is Spike Lavender.

And no, a small airstone/pump ain't gonna cut it for 5 gallons. In my journal I just posted a big rant about ACT and DIY brewers.

You can make lacto b serum at home fo free tho. Search "prokashi LAB" on youtube for an excellent tutorial.