First grow - my setup

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Da-Lu, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Hey bro, I only have two weeks more experience than you so take my advice with a grain of salt. This is what has worked for me so far.

I have had salt build-up on my drip rings, hydroton, and grow tent floor pretty much since I started adding nutes. I could scrub everything every couple days and it would still reappear. I have stopped worrying about it, and so far no issues. I'm just going to sterilize everything after each grow. It's the nutes that's cause salt build-up. I figure if the nutes are loaded with salt, a slight build up can't be too bad.

To answer your question, from my research, yes you can flush out your system with straight RO water. Probably let it run through your system for 12 hours. Hopefully someone with more experience chimes in.

2. Update: first pic is the Thai lights. The rest are the GB. Been flowering just under a month.

Attached Files:

3. i have to agree with blaze, salt build ups are inevitable as long is there are nutrients there will be salt build up. I clean my rez's everytime i finish a batch & there is always a ring of build up! if you stay on top of it ,it,s easy to scrub it off & never becomes an issue! If left unchecked it can become a real nuicance & effect ppm levels as well as ph. imo
    Plants are lookin awesome Blaze!

4. Thanks magic! I have recently started mixing my nutes differently. I ph water in a 5 gallon water jug, let it recirculate/bubble for a few hours ( I use an extra recirculating tube from the waterfarms which pulls water from the bottom of the jug and spits it out in short bubbly bursts up top). I than mix in micro, let it recirculate for a bit, than mix in bloom and let it recirculate for 12-24 hours. This method enables me to keep my ph/ppm more stable.

5. I've been really into the hydro lately, and am liking your grow set up, I think my next box will be 3x3 and I think I'm going to get a bunch of hydro gear soon, sub'd keep up the good work!

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Thanks man! I'm loving dwc and rdwc so far!

7. How are the ladies looking brutha?

8. where are ya Blaze?

9. Hey guys!
    Back to work so I'm away from home for two weeks! I took a month off that's why I was able to post so frequently! They were fine when I left a few days ago! Hopefully they are alright when I get back. Only time will tell. I will let you guys know on in a few days, I'm going to jet home for a few hours.

10. cool ,just hadnt heard from ya in awhile, glad all is well!!!

11. Thanks for checking on me! My plants should be ready to harvest in about two weeks! I'm going to go home in a few days to switch out my nutes for straight water!

12. Quick update:
    White widow is looking good. Left for a week and came back to a pretty healthy looking plant. These two little guys had their waterfarms pretty much drained in a week!

Thai lights and GB are starting to fill out nicely. A few leaves have turned brown on one of the god buds?

Attached Files:

13. AAAHHHH they grow up so fast!weep lol lookin good Blaze

14. sub'd.  Things in here are looking good.  I'm going to pull up a chair and watch.. :hello:

15. Thanks guys! As you've probably noticed I changed my setup's and plans!
    I downgraded to 2 individual waterfarms in the 3x3 veg tent. And I also downgraded my 1000w to a 600w in the 5x5 flower tent. I plan on only having 2 plants in flower and 2 plants in veg max! I'm going to be using scottyballs waterfarm scrog method. I don't know why but I got slightly paranoid! I want to use less energy and have under 6 plants (I'm in canada)

16. me too, as long as your hydro bill is paid & you arent flaunting your shit  they dont really fuck you!They have no use for busting a few plants! well thats how it is in BC anyways! I know guys that have done illegal  8 & 10000w shows for years & the cops dont even look @ them!You dont read in the papers about busts w/ 20 or 30 plants ,no they want the ones w/ hundreds or thousands! you'll be fine as long as you keep your nose clean outside of your show! 

17. Thanks for the reassurance! I'm still going to keep it under 6 though, to be a bit safer. Any ideas why my leaves are turning dark brown magic? Or anyone? I'm not too concerned to be honest, just nice to know!

Also the ppm had risen in the week I was gone about 150ppm. Ph was acceptable in both systems, about 5.8. I did a 50% res change and dropped the ppm down to 700. I'm going to give them another week or two of nutes before I start my flush. I figure an "8 week" strain would be better left for 9-10 weeks before harvest. They are currently on day 45 of flower.

Another predictament is I have a sativa and indica in the ecogrower! I honestly didn't think of this until now! I'm thinking the Thai Lights will take an extra two weeks on top of the god bud. What I'm thinking I'm going to do run very week nutes (300ppm) up until a couple days before I harvest the God Bud. Than I will switch to straight water and continue flushing the Thai Lights for the two weeks. It may nit be perfect, but I will make it work! I've learned lots this first grow.

Also I added tinsfoil over the two waterfarms in the veg tent to keep splashing off the lower leaves and light off the hydroton.

18. #118 Magic M, May 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014

19. Thanks for the help magic!! Unfortunately there is no way to Seperate the two strains. 2 of the god bud are on their own res so I switched them to straight water today!

20. I'd just switch it all to water for a flush, the Thai will be fine, it will experience yellow leaves worse then the god as it will be drawing nutes out of the fan leaves close to the end. My vote is to flush it all

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using Grasscity Forum mobile app