Share your Old Growers Tricks

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Antiqatoke, Feb 24, 2014.

1. I haven't seen anything like this so I felt like initiating this!!!

Share your tips, knowledge and your Old Grower's tricks! I'll start with a few that I know!

*You can use pure honey (local usually is best) to clone.

*If your leaves are like a canoe upside down, your plant may be root bound.

*If your leaves are like a normal canoe you may want to increase the height of your lights.

*If your plant has more than 11 leaves on a single set, you may want to introduce more blue light during vegetation stage.

(Let's try to keep it as science based as possible! I look forward to reading all these grower's years of wisdom!)

2. Don't let your pots sit in a puddle in a drain tray, it encourages roots to grow out the bottom of the pot. Set your pots on a rack and the root will never try to grow out from the pot.

3. Roots in a SIP system like to grow thru for capillary contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

That's a really good one! That reminds me!

*Easy fool proof over watering solution, up to 4 gal soil sets if you cannot lift the entire bucket and plant with one arm that plant DOES NOT need any water. (6-10gal are just awkward and heavy to begin with)

5. Truth, thanks for clarifying! 

that's fine and dandy if you are doing clones sea of green, but you get a bunch of young seedling with tangled up you have a mess.

7. I think you misunderstood my comment, but no worries, no more comments! :bongin:

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Feed the soil not the plants.

9. ^^^^^ what he said!

Sent from this POS ATT charges me $80/month to use.

10. For your seedlings, nuke their moist soil until it is steaming hot, then let it cool completely before adding your sprouted seeds! This kills the Damping-off fungus that kills many seedlings.

You can kill spider mites without any poison on your plants! :yay: Get a small bottle of Dr Bronner's Soap- I like the peppermint kind.  The soap will run you under $5 and a little goes a long way. You use it in a 3 day cycle- spray day, rinse day, rest day. Be sure to get the under-side of the leaves- that is where the mites hide. Here's the "how to" info -  

http://www.ehow.com/how_5791479_use-dr_-bronners-insecticidal-soap.html

Because real castile soap is biodegradable, any run-off will be used by soil bacteria as food, which will in turn, enrich your soil!  Insecticidal soaps are very old-fashioned, but because they kill by smothering the mites, there is no way the mites  can become resistant like they can with chemical poisons!

Granny

11. Using soap with any organic based pesticide such as neem, azamax, spinosad, or bt can increase its effectiveness quite a bit. Holds the product on the leaves longer so it is more easily able to do its job. On top of drowning the mites which yes they cant get used to a big plus. I do a 3 time regimen once a month spray every 2 to 3 days then after the 3 sprays rinse with plain water. I never have pest issues using this method.

12. Are those pesticides safe to grow/smoke? I know flushing a important, but Organic weed is always a plus.

13. yes i only use organic pesticide. All are omri listed. Neem never use in flower ever. And ill hardly use any sprays last 2 weeks of flower if at all possible.

14. Neem oil is an organic pest control substance derived from the neem tree, azamax is a certain component of neem that is extracted called azadarachtin, spinosad is a bacteria that attacks insects nervous systems after theyingest it, bt or bacillus thuriengensis is also a bacteria that eats the host from the inside out killing them. Nature is a beautiful thing. I use ladybugs and preying mantis in my outdoor gardens extensively as well.

15. #15 trueweedsmoker, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
    Wanna get rid of powdery mildew out of a room b4 your next grow.    Use a Firecracker..lol  A smoke bomb costs .50 and is enough to fill a whole room in every crack and crevice.  The smoke bomb contains sulphur and acts like  a sulfur bomb, or candle.  

16. ^^This^^

More of that, that's ingenius!!! Great way to test the evacuation of air from your room too I'd guess!!! My rule of thumb is I like 100% fresh air every 90 seconds for small rooms.

17. Neem, It's great!!! As Rich mentioned you don't wanna use foliar washes during bloom, or during light times (15-20 minutes before bed-time is ok).

Also!!! If you get mites late in flower ("Oh shit I harvest in three days, where the hell you come from?"), you can harvest as normal and when you hang your buds (Please quarantine them!) on a line place some insect glue on both sides of the plant like this 

____(here)_____(Buds)_____(here)____

and a drop of neem on your finger gently wipe a bad leaf on the under side of each affected bloom.. before the plant dries they should all leave shop and be stuck to the glue.. 

18. #18 trueweedsmoker, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
    thnx.....we need some more advanced techniques......

19. no need to wait till lights off, shut off urlights and ventilation for 30 minutes, spray ur garden and then once the 30 is up turn it all back on and ur good to go no burns on ur plants. Ill usually hit the fans back on at 15 minutes to dry the plants outand ventilate any leftover moisture in the air before the lights get flipped on at 30 minutes. That way unever have any issues with dripping wet leaves with hid lights on.

20. Oh and never wipe neem anywhere neara finished or near finished flower veg only sprays. ;)